2015 Bamfield and Barkley Sound Reports

Back to the pain in the butt boundary that bisects the Ukee Harbour mouth/Beg Island/Food Islets/Chrow Island fishing area - can keep wild coho on half your trolling tack but not the other half. Of course the schools of coho know this and don't follow the schools of bait inshore and offshore of this arbitrary line … Oh well, it is what it is.

Cheers!

Ukee

Yup, pain for sure. The surf line boundary which makes for easier fishing and natural place to separate the fishing areas based on where people fish makes great sense - that was requested. The official reason for reverting back to the former regulations is attempting to mitigate Fraser coho impacts. I guess that is ultimately the right thing to do if we agree with the theory that fewer Fraser coho will be impacted by this regulation. I'm personally not convinced, but it is what it is. Thought we were done with all that stupid stuff last season when it was convenient to increase the harvest of Fraser coho to ensure there was enough allowance for by-catch so they could allow a full on Fraser River sockeye commercial fishery. ooohh, inside voice....bad me.

hey

messages from a few of you ,

the info on this years regs that i posted , was right off the dfo site ,
and its still there , not quite sure why there taking so long to update the upcoming changes ,
i just spoke with a dfo rep outta Port , its a done deal , there will be a size restiction of 77 cm as of Aug 1 2015 ,( all of 23 )
it is what it is , as mentioned, theres alot of 3 year old fish comin through this year ,so there will be plenty of fish to be had
for all imo , i personally prefer teeners in my ice box myself , if your lookin for hogs , your gonna have ta hit banks ,
pretty sure this will be a band-aid for this coming season , back to one over one under next year im thinkin ,
anyways , just wanted to clarify that , gd lk

fd

Last edited by a moderator:
hey

messages from a few of you ,

the info on this years regs that i posted , was right off the dfo site ,
and its still there , not quite sure why there taking so long to update the upcoming changes ,
i just spoke with a dfo rep outta Port , its a done deal , there will be a size restiction of 77 cm as of Aug 1 2015 ,( all of 23 )
it is what it is , as mentioned, theres alot of 3 year old fish comin through this year ,so there will be plenty of fish to be had
for all imo , i personally prefer teeners in my ice box myself , if your lookin for hogs , your gonna have ta hit banks ,
pretty sure this will be a band-aid for this coming season , back to one over one under next year im thinkin ,
anyways , just wanted to clarify that , gd lk

fd

So that's 0 springs per day over 77 cm?

The reason it is taking so long to post the official regs is the science guys are double checking the data before finalizing the pre-season forecast regulations decision, which has always been 2 under 77 cm. IMO the science guys are doing the right thing by making certain we have all the catch data from up north that they need to double check the preliminary data used for the pre-season forecast and regulations announcement at SFAB. So while it appears to be a "done deal" I prefer to await the final decision as there is faint hope the new data will change to forecast....call me an optimist fisherman.

im gonna bow outta this one here ,
the dfo rep that i spoke to , was pretty confident that the 2 under will
be in place as of August 1 , perhaps give them a call if ur concerned -1-250-720-4440 ( Port DFO )

Searun , i dont understand your comment " has always been 2 under 77 cm " ???

for most of us seasonally out there , or locals , this prob isnt the end of the world ,
but from the few ive spoken with over the past week , guys are tryin to book there family vacations ,
have smaller inshore boats , and want cracks at larger fish , fair enough i suppose ,
not sure where or what your options may take you , again , confident there will be fish to be had for your coolers ,
we have no issues with hookin larger fish , releasing them ,as most that read these posts im hoping ..

anyways...

on my way out west , Cathy's first bloody deck hopefully :) ,......(hopefully not mine )
sounds pretty scratchy out there right now..

gd lk

fd

No problem, so DFO has always said they are looking at 2 under 77 cm for this season only. The normal regulation is one under 77 one over. The 2 under 77 cm is not new news was my point. They were very clear in our SFAB meetings that the data was indicating a lower return of large spawning females (age class 4 and 5), and thus to ensure we have enough females for egg take at the hatchery the regulation (2 under) would need to be put in place. However, they also said they need (want) to see other data indicators to double check the preliminary assessment. I think this is a fair minded and careful approach. We also did not know how many of our Barkley fish were whacked in the Alaska commercial fishery (a major factor), and from early indications they got a LOT. Initial reports were very high CPUE (catch per unit of effort). That lead to a major battle of sorts between US and Canada on the need for them to amend the Abundance Index, which if lowered to where Canada felt it should be would trigger a different (more conservative) fishery in both countries that may have helped save a few of our fish. The US position was Canada simply got the data wrong and we have a larger return than Canada is forecasting coming south. Canada's position was the CPUE indications are directly resulting from the warm blob of water off our coast which pushed Canada's fish further into Alaskan waters. Short version is we have a cluster, and it is hard to predict what is coming our way....thus the delay in making a decision. A long answer, but it is hard to do justice (from memory and typing a message) to what was covered in the meetings. A big reason why I'm a strong proponent of people attending the SFAB meetings.

Hope this helps. If you want more details, please give me a call.

The reason it is taking so long to post the official regs is the science guys are double checking the data before finalizing the pre-season forecast regulations decision, which has always been 2 under 77 cm. IMO the science guys are doing the right thing by making certain we have all the catch data from up north that they need to double check the preliminary data used for the pre-season forecast and regulations announcement at SFAB. So while it appears to be a "done deal" I prefer to await the final decision as there is faint hope the new data will change to forecast....call me an optimist fisherman.

I have to agree with searun on the fact that advertising its a ''done deal'' isn't a great idea until it's on paper from the DFO site. Weather your sources are reliable or not it can have adverse affects for businesses who rely on clients for the Big fish month of august. Just a thought. History does repeat itself (regs from 2 years ago) and I'm on board with keeping those big breeders around so other generations can fish!

Very nice buddy! Did she give it the wood shampoo or are we just taking 'baby steps' right now??? ;)

How's the wether forecast? Taking first ferry Tuesday morning, wind ok? Staying at Seabeam Tuesday to Sunday.

How's the wether forecast? Taking first ferry Tuesday morning, wind ok? Staying at Seabeam Tuesday to Sunday.

Hey fire guy I will be staying a few doors down from you will be there Friday morning until Monday white thunderjet on channel vhf 6 Boats name obsession. what is your handle? The forecast doesn't look great let's hope it changes

Boat is called Renegade. Green Weldcraft jet with tan top. Hope we get one day of light enough wind to get out to 7 mile..

Took it easy on her Scotty , more like junior steps ,
she did very well, unfortunately , we lost her first gooder chinook the next morning right at the boat .
her coach screwed up on the net :) ....
perfect weather , lots of sight seein , we didnt venture out far, or put alot of effort in salmon..
exploring plays off sometimes , found a new hali hump , and a loaded beach of sweet medium oysters
seemed like the area was lacking boats more than chinook , not good guys , pretty quiet on that side of things
we hit our few fish at diplock in the mid morning tide changes ,
neighbors that fished off shore did poorly for salmon , rats nose has a few fish , but smaller chinook ,
all the poular stops on the way produced zero , sorry , but ,,,,sure hope it gets better soon ,
poett nook is not even half full yet... never seen it like that this time of year..
Prawning is dead , crabbing was ok
on a bright note ...
Halibut is excellent , no need to go far either !!
back out there next week , im positive , we will do better ...cause its the worst ive seen it in a long time lol..
seen the parade of dozens of gill netters heading to sockeye country on sunday ,
hope that fishery doesnt get screwed up for
us sporties , think we may need it this early season
i stopped in at china creek , lots of boats , fish being brought in , but by no means hot for most yet ,
but promising ,

anyways , gd luck , hope someone has a better report comin soon !!

felix

Right on Felix...thanks

4 weeks and counting for team Getbents first arrival of the year.

Some humpies have been in the sound over the last few days, and they follow the food...and where there's bait there will be fish. Hopefully signs of life, it's been a really slow start to the season for Barkley (and lots of WCVI areas)

Back