2013 Vancouver, Howe Sound and Sunshine Coast Fishing Reports Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few scrawny fish around. A time to get your boat ready for the next few weeks. A better quality fish soon to be here.

I haven't heard of many people out in the Vancouver waters lately. Weather has been spotty and obviously so has the fishing. Things are pretty slow across the straight as well. The local charter companies have been quiet with their updates as well so that's usually a good sign that fishing is tough.

I'll be launching very soon (got the boat serviced and bottom recoated) and can't wait to hit Howe Sound. Will report back after my first outing.

Lets get this current thread to the top
start posting here it a whole new year to talk about

Is this the year that will have the good run? We had a great one about 4 years ago at the Hump and Thrasher, I'm uncovering the boat and getting all the gear back on board. ;)

fished over in the gulf islands yesterday for a few hours with no bites from anything chrome. Lot's of bait and gulls around but we couldn't find any fish.

Sweet f all out there for almost all boats out there yesterday...including me. Ridiculous fishing pressure locally yesterday....you could have sworn it was April.

fished over in the gulf islands yesterday for a few hours with no bites from anything chrome. Lot's of bait and gulls around but we couldn't find any fish.

You were not the only one!!!

It's weird.....I have noticed that it gets like this sometimes....like the whole southern portion of the Strait becomes a dead zone

Dropped the prawn traps yesterday a.m. and then spent 3 hours off South Bowen. Great haul of prawns but nothing to show on the salmon side.

Dropped the prawn traps yesterday a.m. and then spent 3 hours off South Bowen. Great haul of prawns but nothing to show on the salmon side.

Thanks for that Teja.

Nothing for me sat. Trolled west van shore line. Didn’t see any hook-up.
Still trying to dial in the prawning but got 80 for a 2hr soak with 4 traps.

What’s a "great haul" how many per trap? Not sure if I should be happy with what I got.

I left the traps out last night and only got 20 :confused:

best Ive pulled on a 2 hr soak is almost 300 about 50 holding berries and went back
and I thought that was a good haul, most of the time I get 80-150ish tho
I only let them soak 2 hours tho

... What’s a "great haul" how many per trap? Not sure if I should be happy with what I got. ...

Approx. 50 large prawns in each of the 4 traps. Size was much better than the last time out but the count was down a bit this time. 3 hour soak.

best Ive pulled on a 2 hr soak is almost 300 about 50 holding berries and went back
and I thought that was a good haul, most of the time I get 80-150ish tho
I only let them soak 2 hours tho

Glad people are putting back the eggholders, they need to make it a regulation.

opinions or facts? do you think the pronz survive? thermal change? salinity change?

pronz also change sex when the herd needs females or males.

yes, i keep usually half my eggers dependant on how many i need for the freezer or meals.. i scrape the eggs off and use them. they are not wasted. mmmm prawnsegg rice!!

4 traps, a good haul for me is 50 large per trap...i soak for 24 hrs with pellets only. sometimes i soak my pellets in anise oil.

When I am daytrip prawning (2-4 hour soak) my scores went way up when i switched the bait cups for bait small mesh bags 50/50 pellets and tuna catfood.More scent in the water faster.Overnight and longer I double up bait bags and bait jars 50/50 mix.

Fished the QB and the harbour around the ships today-one shaker and a knock off was all-good sized shaker though-caught on a small Diamond Lance spoon with a blue stripe along the edge like we used to use for winters.

Someone in a big Green/White Bayliner had a nice Spring he showed me.

Crabbing was decent but not much for size great day overall beautiful water conditions couldn't ask for more.

When I am daytrip prawning (2-4 hour soak) my scores went way up when i switched the bait cups for bait small mesh bags 50/50 pellets and tuna catfood.More scent in the water faster.Overnight and longer I double up bait bags and bait jars 50/50 mix.

I had the same experience when I switched to 50/50 pellets and cheap, stinky tuna cat food (Carlysle) for short soaks. In my case, I have continued to use bait jars but I will have to try a small mesh bag in one of the traps next time.

opinions or facts? do you think the pronz survive? thermal change? salinity change?

pronz also change sex when the herd needs females or males.

yes, i keep usually half my eggers dependant on how many i need for the freezer or meals.. i scrape the eggs off and use them. they are not wasted. mmmm prawnsegg rice!!

4 traps, a good haul for me is 50 large per trap...i soak for 24 hrs with pellets only. sometimes i soak my pellets in anise oil.

I wondered the same thing cause I would see the prawns with eggs kind of sink and little swimming action, we have since spoken to the fisheries lady who conducts the tests and keeps track of data. Anyway she explained that the prawn does indeed survive after being put back in the water. We practice this at our secret spots and year after year now pull up big numbers, nothing against those that choose to take the eggbearers in most areas as between the commercial and the Irish they are raped and pilaged anyway. A lot of fisherman are surprised by the good number of prawns in the past 15 years and thats because there are no bottom fish to prey on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back