Search results

1. c-dawg

Campbell River Hotels

I'm traveling up from the U.S. in late July for my annual Critter Cove trip. At the end of the trip the tide is too low in the morning for me to take out and make it to Victoria in time for the ferry ride home. So, I'd like to pull the boat out the night before on the flood and spend the night...
  2. c-dawg

Critter Cove Question

Question for those that stay in a floating cabin at Critter Cove: how do you secure or tie down your pop-up canopy outside your cabin? Pics of whatever device you use would be appreciated.
  3. c-dawg

Salmon possession limit

Need some clarity. Even though the Coho catch limit in Nootka is 4 total (2 marked, 2 unmarked), is the total possession limit still only 4 salmon? So if I caught my daily limit of Coho, would I be done for the 5-day trip? Or could I harvest some Springs, too? Someone please help me with the...
  4. c-dawg

Maquinna and Wash Rock

Are they essentially the same place? I see Maquinna Point on the chart, but I'm not sure where Wash Rock is in relation to the point. Can someone help me out? Thanks.
  5. c-dawg

Sand dabs and sole

Are there sand dabs and sole around Nootka Sound, particularly up around Critter Cove?
  6. c-dawg

Halibut Questions

I have a couple questions concerning halibut fishing: 1. What is the preferred style of weight for drift fishing? Cannon ball? Cod weights? 2. If you anchor for hali, how long do you sit in a spot before moving? Or do you pick a spot and just sit throughout a tide change and call it good...
  7. c-dawg

Ling at Nootka questions

I'm making a trip to Nootka in a week for the third consecutive year. The first year we did good on salmon, the second year we did good on salmon and halibut. This year I want to add some lingcod to the catch. Down in the States we've been using live sand dabs (sole) to catch lings. Is that...
  8. c-dawg

Bligh Island, Spanish Pilot Group bottomfish

I'll be in Nootka the first week in August this year. Are there bottomfish to be had around the Spanish Pilot Group or Bligh Island? It looks like a great fishing area according to the chart. Thanks.
  9. c-dawg

Possession limit for Area 25

I've been reading through the regulations to ensure I'm in compliance with possession limits after our trip next week. From what I've gathered, I'm allowed 2 days limits according to species. So that means 4 Chinook with only 2 over 77cm, 8 Coho, 2 halibut with only 1 over 90cm, and 6 lingcod...
  10. c-dawg

Anchovy sizing

In preparation for my trip to Nootka, I plan to pick up some anchovies in Washington and brine them before heading North. I was looking at some today in my local sporting goods store, and noticed there were two different sizes. They were packaged in red and green packages like herring are. I...
  11. c-dawg

Weather and Nootka

How do the recent gale force winds effect fishing in Nootka Sound? I'm looking for some point of reference of what the seas look like when I see gale force winds forcasted at Estevan Point or South Brooks buoy. Will the inside be relatively flat and fishable? And where does the "inside"...
  12. c-dawg

Krippled herring/anchovy hoods

Hi; first post. I've been lurking for awhile and searching archives, but couldn't find what I was looking for. I usually fish the ocean out of Westport, WA, and the de facto method is cut plug herring. I've started using herring hoods the last couple of years, so I'm trying to learn more...
Back