Search results

1. Mako 22

Your best "go to" hoochie

I try them all. But the "Go To" is: Like CR Bill, 42 inches is the number.
  2. Mako 22

Trolling for Halibut

Tomic runs nearly level, drop the plug a few feet under the surface so you can see it behind the release clip. I use 20 feet to the plug behind the clip. You will note the line runs almost level. Then drop the cannon ball down to about 5 feet from bottom if you have a good flat bottom, higher...
  3. Mako 22

Trolling for Halibut

I will have Tomic backups! We need a dogfish repellant.
  4. Mako 22

Trolling for Halibut

Yep. Think I will upsize my herring on August 19 and try a little mooching on Halibut Flats. We fish the same areas. "Mooching Ready and Halibut Ready":
  5. Mako 22

Trolling for Halibut

Years ago I trolled here on the bandits side of the border in Juan de Fuca Strait, around Port Angeles on the flats. and drop offs along the ledges. Started trolling for blackmouth with 4 inch Tomics, but the little plug was hit by a halibut, about 160 feet deep. Got it up enough to see the...
  6. Mako 22

Fleming beach unusual parking spot

Happens on this side of the border also: Port Angeles Marina "Just sitting on the tailgate, watching the tide go out, and waiting for it to come back in".
  7. Mako 22

Deep Dropping In The Straits

Yep: 1/8" Stainless Steel Welding Rod, flatten end, file notch, stick in a piece of dowel. Rubber band around tail & leader.
  8. Mako 22

The guy that showed me this way to rig for halibut is a Commercial type, when he fishes 6 inch whole herring behind a flasher he rigs them the same way with a smaller circle hook. I sometimes use herring behind a flasher, but rigged head towards the flasher. When Chinook season arrives I will...
  9. Mako 22

The little plastic pack on the lower right contains dental bands. I wrap one around the tail and leader to keep the tail straight. Hooks are 16/0 circles. Leaders are about 12 inches long, 150 pound mono. Loops are double crimped. I use a dropper rig with drops about 12 inches long, the...
  10. Mako 22

I am thinking the same on this side of the border. But years ago a 300 plus pounder was snagged in 400 feet. So maybe there are more. My choice is a 50 pounder, let the big breeders go. I would love to find an area in the depths where a 50 could be found often.
  11. Mako 22

The system is a whole package: Heavy duty rod holders, stout reel, at least 80 pound braid, swivel tip on the rod. I found out a long time ago that if a specialized "system rod" was required you are better off building it. Rod building is easy!
  12. Mako 22

I bet it was fun fishing. Only 42 meters deep.
  13. Mako 22

Bent Butt rods? They would work great if the rod holders in the small boats we fish out of were sturdier. Typical rod holder will not take the stress of dragging a big sinker on the bottom. Sword fish guys that deep drop use the bent butt rods in a stout rod holder and a big electric reel...
  14. Mako 22

Biggest problem is the weight at depths. A lot of hard cranking. We can use electrics here in bandits land so the rods I am building are designed for electrics. 80 pound rated blanks. The swivel tip keeps the thin braid from slipping beside the roller in the tip and cutting the line...
  15. Mako 22

Yep, same way the fish eat them. Head first.
  16. Mako 22

They are out there in the deep. Friends in Coos Bay fish to 800 ft often. Looking at the charts there is a lot of bottom that Halibut like on this side of the border in the deep. Perfect bottom for dragging big herring: Sandy/gravel with a few humps here and there.
  17. Mako 22

Got plenty of 2 pounders if we South of the Border bandits ever get another chance at crossing the Boundary and fishing in your territory. Covid messes things up!!! 3's are legal here.
  18. Mako 22

Anyone Halibut fished deep to 600 feet or more in the Straits in the past? Just looks fishy to me. I am wrapping two deep drop rods for use with 3 pound sinkers. Thought some of you would be interested in the process. Laying out underwraps Underwraps Roller tip that swivels...
  19. Mako 22

DFO finally does something about poachers.

Embarrasses me greatly, as I am south of the border in Port Angeles , that three Americans violated your fishery so arrogantly. If I was the judge, the boat would be confiscated and sold at auction. The three dudes would serve jail time. Big, big fines in order. A few years back we had an...
Back