Search results

1. H

Okanagan sockeye 2022

As of today 521,228 Sockeye have been counted at Bonneville. This is the 2nd highest count ever. The highest was 614,179 in 2014, and the next highest was 515,673 in 2012. The count could get close to the record yet.
  2. H

Why are jigs so expensive - ideas on saving money?

Similar to your method we swapped out the stiff hooks on p-line lazer minnows for softer hooks from buzz-bombs. I was almost always able to bend the hook and get the jig back. Wouldn't do that if we were after larger fish that could possibly bend the hooks, but for what we were catching it...
  3. H

Okanagan sockeye 2022

Looks like over 166,000 at Bonneville dam already and maybe just at the peak of the run. Looks like a good chance for an opening this year.
  4. H

2016 Winter Harbour Reports

We have learned through trial and error that 125-150 feet seems to be the minimum to get decent catches of Crab these days in Quatsino. We were getting very little at 50-70 feet two years ago and then started to get 2 or 3 legal per trap at around 90 feet. When we tried 130 it got alot better...
  5. H

Fuel use betwen PA and Bamfield?

I have a yamaha 115 on my 19ft aluminum. I did a test during ideal conditions last spring on a small external tank. At 27mph i was getting 5.25 miles per american gallon. That was with 2 people a full fuel tank and fishing gear. Using the distances in post 16 of an 85NM round trip, with ideal...
  6. H

North island reports

Got back from Port Hardy on Saturday. Fished Sunday the 16th to thursday the 20th. In general fishing for springs was still quite good. Other than Monday it was pretty windy with lots of kelp to deal with. Purple flasher with Purple teaser worked good, and bright red/orange teaser was really...
  7. H

Searching for a Tuna crew

I dream about doing something like this but sadly it's out of my price range this year. I don't doubt at all that the trip and running those boats is really expensive, and may well cost $1500/day for fuel and extras. I think there is a fine line here between offering a charter and offering...
  8. H

North island reports

Just got back from 10 days in Hardy. In general fishing was good. There were salmon around most places. We had a couple great early morning bites at Duval on 10th and 11th though the fish were mostly in the 9-14lb range with a 19 and a 22 in the mix. On the 11th my Dad couldn't get his rod...
  9. H

Bucket list items

Fishhound, I live in Creston and have pulled my 19foot hewescraft to the Island 3 times now in the last 5 years, and were going again this July. If you can get a couple buddies or family to go and split the costs, the trip isn't expensive at all. It costs us approximatley $2300-2500...
  10. H

Winter Harbour Report

I can barley get my 19ft aluminum back on in a negative tide at that launch. I've had to nose it on and pull it up with the strap a couple times.
  11. H

Osoyoos Lake

I looked at both the freshwater regs and the non- tidal salmon supplement and I can't find anything, and there is no bait ban for Osoyoos Lake in the freshwater regs. Just a mention for barbless hooks in the salmon supplement. Is there another reg that I'm not seeing?
  12. H

Osoyoos Lake

Last year when we tried it the key was the right flasher for the light conditions while using pink hootchies with black hooks with a short leader. at Dawn a green glow flasher far out-fished everything else, but as the light increased a silver flasher with blue and green stripe would get hit as...
  13. H

How has the fishing been on the Goat River/Moyie River?

I know some guys do o.k. in the Moyie, but I find the Goat easier and nicer to fish. Watch the catch and release section from Leadville to Cameron. We're having a good huckleberry year around Creston too.
  14. H

Port Hardy Reports

There were an unbelievable number of pinks around the Hardy area. Some places were unfishable with bait because of them. You literally couldn't get the downrigger down 50feet without having one on around daphne point and the mastermans.
  15. H

Port Hardy Reports

Fished the Hardy area from the 19th to 26th and it was decent. We did well and got our limits of Coho at Castle point with some around 9-10lbs. There were a few springs at Duvall but one had to put time in. We did so-so on smaller halibut and lost a couple nice ones and landed a very large...
  16. H

Camping near parksville

Thanks for the replies! I'll talk it over with the other guys and see how far we want to go. It depends which ferry we make too. Karl.
  17. H

Camping near parksville

We're headed to Port Hardy from Creston on Friday and planning to stop and camp after we get off the ferry somewhere. Where might be a conveniennt place to camp somewhere north of Naniamo that would be suitable for boat parking? The provincial parks don't seem to have any more reservations...
  18. H

Osoyoos Lake

There will almost certainly be a Sockeye opening again this year as the largest run on record is in the Columbia right now. Over 540K fish so far mostly headed for Osoyoos Lake. http://www.fpc.org/currentdaily/histfishtwo_7day-ytd_adults.htm
  19. H

Kootenay lake

August is tough on Kootenay lake. Small rainbows in the evenings on small spoons or try down from 90-120 feet with plugs at 2.5-2.8mph or a green flasher with tiger prawn or army truck or green glo hootchie with an 18 inch tie at 1.8-2.0mph. Basically trying for a bull trout. It starts to pick...
  20. H

Fishing kootney lake

Fishing had been good into mid fall, and then the guides and others were getting skinny fish with empty stomachs. Some rainbows pushing 35 inches that were only 16-18 pounds, that should be over 20lbs. In the late fall and early winter the fishing slowed down, though the far south of the lake...
Back