A couple of prawn questions

Augie

Hi everyone
Just curious if anyone has ever tried pickled prawns? Just heard of this and I thought I’d try it. Any tips would be appreciated.

Speaking of which I went and caught some the other day near Hornby. After cooking them I noticed a significant amount of soft and mushy prawns. Am I cooking these wrong? I’m just boiling them for three to five minutes with some salt. Maybe there’s someone with some tips out there too? Thanks.

Hi everyone
Just curious if anyone has ever tried pickled prawns? Just heard of this and I thought I’d try it. Any tips would be appreciated.

Speaking of which I went and caught some the other day near Hornby. After cooking them I noticed a significant amount of soft and mushy prawns. Am I cooking these wrong? I’m just boiling them for three to five minutes with some salt. Maybe there’s someone with some tips out there too? Thanks.
I boil the smalls 30 seconds and lg 1 min

Hi everyone

If you freeze them in salt water (I use sea water - not from a marina) and then cook them the shells come off easy and they are always firm. Fresh they are often mushy at least for me

In my experience mushy meat means the meat got wet or warm. Remove heads while live. Keep tails cold and dry. On ice is best but melting ice needs to drain.
I freeze in blocks of ice but careful when thawing that they don’t sit in melted ice water.

If you let the prawns die with the head on they release an enzyme that makes flesh go mushy! All ways remove the head as soon as they come out of the water

This, need to remove the heads before they die. We usually throw ours in the live well for a bit to clean the food out of their system which results in a much cleaner product. But they don't seem to like the warmer surface water in the summer - easier to keep them alive in the winter.

And yes, pickled prawns are great. My recipe is below. Great appetizer and nice and refreshing on a hot day - not too bad in winter either!

Ingredients
  • 2 lbs (900 g) whole spot prawns [I usually us about 80 smalls or 60 mediums)
  • 1/2 medium fennel bulb, thinly sliced
  • 1/2 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
  • 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
  • 1/2 Fresno chili, seeded and thinly sliced
  • 1/2 cup (125 ml) fresh lemon juice
  • 1/2 cup (125 ml) white wine vinegar
  • 1/4 cup (60 ml) extra virgin olive oil
  • 1/4 tsp (1 ml) toasted coriander seed
  • 5 toasted black peppercorns
  • 2 tbsp (30 ml) fennel fronds or dill
  1. To cook spot prawns, bring a large saucepan of salted water to a boil. Add prawns, remove saucepan from heat, cover and let sit for 2 to 3 minutes until the tails are opaque in the center. *Tip: Pickled prawns may be made up to 2 days in advance. Simply store in an airtight container in the refrigerator
  2. Drain prawns and rinse under cold running water to cool. Peel
  3. In a large bowl stir together peeled prawns, fennel, onion, garlic, chili, lemon juice, vinegar, oil, coriander seed, peppercorns, and fennel fronds. Set aside to marinate, stirring occasionally, for at least 30 minutes.
  4. Serve pickled prawns with sliced baguette, toasted bread, crackers, etc.

In my experience mushy meat means the meat got wet or warm. Remove heads while live. Keep tails cold and dry. On ice is best but melting ice needs to drain.
I freeze in blocks of ice but careful when thawing that they don’t sit in melted ice water.
If you use salt water the wetness isn't an issue. As you said though Ice becomes a problem. I store them in a bucket of salt water to let them poop and swap out the water a couple times over a couple hours. Hopefully by then I'm home and the ones I want to eat head on I leave dry on a plate in the fridge.

I like to steam spot prawn better. This method helps to retain the juice and keep the prawn dry thus more tender. Works great if prawns are fresh and kept on ice from the traps until you get home.

Attachments

• 2BC29E04-81AC-49AA-B3DC-73A1E6456E95.png
    2BC29E04-81AC-49AA-B3DC-73A1E6456E95.png
    915.9 KB · Views: 39
If you use salt water the wetness isn't an issue. As you said though Ice becomes a problem. I store them in a bucket of salt water to let them poop and swap out the water a couple times over a couple hours. Hopefully by then I'm home and the ones I want to eat head on I leave dry on a plate in the fridge.
I have found the exposed meat should not sit in fresh or salt water. Same with any fish. Head on and live I flush a few times in bucket of salt water like others have noted but change water regularly and don’t let it get warm is important in my opinion.

Great advice. Talked to fish assassin as well. Have five jars in the fridge ready to go. Can’t wait to try them. Thank you for all the advice. I’ll be tailing the prawns right away from now on.

If you're going to boil them, throw them in boiling water and remove from heat as soon as the float to the surface.

Back