Hali bait on downrigger - how do YOU do it?

Olde School

There are many ways of bringing hali in to your gear.
One very successful way I learned a few years ago was to drop a bait bag attached to your downrigger ball.
The problem is how frequently this results in a fish wrapping the rod line around the rigger line.
If you you this method, how do you reduce these tangles?

There are many ways of bringing hali in to your gear.
One very successful way I learned a few years ago was to drop a bait bag attached to your downrigger ball.
The problem is how frequently this results in a fish wrapping the rod line around the rigger line.
If you you this method, how do you reduce these tangles?
How heavy of a downrigger ball you using? We use 20lb ball. 2lb weights on the Hali gear. If there’s any tide or current they’re usually fairly far apart. The only time I’ve had issues with a snag up is at tide change.

You don't have to have the ball and chum bag right down on the bottom next to your fishing gear. Keep it up a bit higher than the rod gear and as soon as a fish is showing interest in your gear hit your rigger ball to come up. Another reason why I like the HP riggers over the 1106's. They come up very fast. Once and awhile you'll get a fish that carries your bait towards your rigger cable before you notice it but the way I fish on my boat we always have someone with their eyes on the rods at all times. As soon as there's action that rigger ball/chum bag come up.

I used this method for the first time on my last trip. I used plastic crap bait bags clipped the the rigger ball. Turned the riggers to the rear of the boat extended the booms and had two chum bags down. When we hit a fish one guy was in charge of brining them up. Worked great. Rods were closer to the front and pointed out.

I have now switched to hard plastic chum containers with holes in them. I bought a scotty one but found it a bit under built for my liking so I made a new one from PVC that is tougher.

Some of the big halis and lings will grab the soft mesh bags and chew/tug on them. If you see your rigger shaking you can bet a fish is grabbing the soft mesh chum bag.

I tie a loop in the ganyon cord 3 feet above the rigger ball and attach the bag there. I have had the boat swing on anchor and the bag attached to the ball snagged a rock or something and became hung. It was tough getting the ball back. I bounce bottom with the ball and come up a few feet. When the ball taps on the swing the bag is out of the way.

I tie a loop in the ganyon cord 3 feet above the rigger ball and attach the bag there. I have had the boat swing on anchor and the bag attached to the ball snagged a rock or something and became hung. It was tough getting the ball back. I bounce bottom with the ball and come up a few feet. When the ball taps on the swing the bag is out of the way.

Having a very short clip to the cable is best too. Mine is only the length of the rigger clip right from the chum tube. This way it doesn't swing around or get tangled in anything.

Cool idea with the drilled out PVC bait holder! I've had a couple bags get eaten; one by something big enough to bust the bag off.

I point my DR booms as far toward the bow as possible, and have a DR mounting location with an extension cord up in that direction, then point the rod tips as far aft as possible, to keep them separate. We also try to fish with weights on our rods that scope out just a little, depending on the current. We only have problems with the big tangle around slack tide and during the changes, as mentioned above, which coincides with the least fishy time for us. We never do very well when our gear is hanging limp straight down, much better with a bit of current.

Despite all that we've still tangled a couple fish in the DR cable, despite always bringing it up when we get bit. Sometimes they just don't behave themselves. That's been our experience anyways,

fb

Do you guys find an increase in hali numbers when using a chum bag ? Was debating on throwing one down.

Must say I have never used this method. I have dogfish trouble at best of days does the scent bag not bring in more? I think the scent trail is unreliable in its direction, current on surface is not same as 300 ft below where I fish. I still have most luck thumping bottom, I believe that thump calls them further. Been a lean hali year so far this year, I am taking some direction from this thread, that chunk of PVC pipe stacked out back is getting drilled, stuffed an lowered down. Will see if catch rate increases.

HM

I often usually use a couple prawn bait cups attached just above the ball. I tie them together by the hanger holes in the lids and leave a short lead with a clip. I aim them out the back and the rods go out the side. No tangle ups or snags for us so far.

Had one weird one happen doing this that is worth mentioning. The rigger started to vibrate/bounce a little so I brought it up a few feet. Still happening so I pulled it all the way up. The old Scotty was labouring to pull it. Wen it got to us it had a very large octopus on it. It Looked at me and then slowly sunk away with one of my bait cups in its clutches. It actually undid it from the lid .

How did I Determine that You ask? Well because about 5 minutes later my buddy got his herring grabbed by said octopus and ended up hooking it. He grunted and groaned it to the boat and believe it or not the octopus still had my now empty bat cup. Talk about getting caught red handed.
I was able to reach down and take it back with no arguments from our new friend. We unhooked him and let him go back to his home with a full belly of my chum. The cup was unharmed and it threaded back into the lid like it was brand new.
True story!

Do you fill it with bait and then freeze it before going out?
What size pipe?
I make a batch of chum and freeze it before going then pull it out the night before and it starts to thaw enough to fill the tube with then keep the container of chum in a cooler for the trip.
This one is a 4". I dont think you need too big of one cause this one lasts all day filled with ground up chum.

Last edited:
Back