Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice, thanks for the input. I've got 8 solid days to find some prawns. I've got a mental note from years past where I've seen prawn traps.

Cheers

i demand to know! kidding. i’ll be there in a month myself but i won’t be prawning

Supposed to be at critter last week of July
We’ve been going there a few seasons now putting all our time into salmon
Getting more comfortable with the area now and was Hope to find some time to try some hali and maybe prawning
Just wondering if it’s worth bringing some prawn gear along that time of year or is it a bit too late ?

Morning Gents,

Heading to Critter at the Beginning of July 8,9,10. I usually launch at GR, but have been reading the earlier messages and it seems it is going to be closed (hope it will be open). Any other launch spot suggestions that have decent road conditions and trailer/ truck storage?

Thinking most salmon fishing will still be on the outside at this time of the season? Suggestions for Halibut fishing? I have not tried it yet in Nootka and would like to.

Appreciate the help,

DML

Irish Coffee, by the time you get out to Nootka the commercial prawn boats would have had 7 weeks of prawning. That means thousands of traps in the water collecting the goods.

If you can find a little pocket that was to hard for them to set in you could do ok. Let's say you could get enough for dinner one night.

DML, I think there is still time to see what happens at the GR ramp by the time you come out.

They are going into phase 3 in the next week or so and that should open some things up.

Let's hope so.

Mike

Thanks mike
Irish Coffee, by the time you get out to Nootka the commercial prawn boats would have had 7 weeks of prawning. That means thousands of traps in the water collecting the goods.

If you can find a little pocket that was to hard for them to set in you could do ok. Let's say you could get enough for dinner one night.

DML, I think there is still time to see what happens at the GR ramp by the time you come out.

They are going into phase 3 in the next week or so and that should open some things up.

Let's hope so.

Mike

Let's hope so.

Mike

Let's hope so.

Mike

Cheers Mike!

Added a second trip July 2,3,4 to Critter Cove. Im holding till later this week regarding GR boat launch. Lots of misinformation out tbere.
Ill launch And park at Moucha Bay if there isnt traction on GR launch. Looking forward to this trip!

Had a couple buddies head out to Nootka a week ago. Launched a couple 17.5’ers nobody around the launch in GR to say otherwise. They absolutely hammered the springs from Beano all the way south of Maquinna point. Halibut were in there too.
Man o man, that’s a sexy report. Can’t wait. T minus 10 days.

Looking for some advise for my first ever trip to Esperanza the area last week of June. Wondering how prawning is in that general area around this time?

Just got back from port Eliza lodge off esperenza inlet. Lodge was awesome, Robert was a great host. Brought my own boat and Robert allowed us full use of the lodge amenities.
The inside surf line was slow, we only managed 3 15plus pound springs and lost one about the same in a day and and a bit of effort. The salmon didn’t seem to be around in any numbers. Robert said it was good the week prior, but they seemed to move out. Trap shack skinny g caught all the salmon.
Halli on the other hand was great! We had a double header in 6 mins from dropping the lines. Picked out 2 larger ones and bonked them.
Vermillion were big and plentiful at the guitar, easy pickings.
Ran out of time to search for lings but we did troll up a few undersized ones while salmon fishing.
Was a great trip, actually got some sun, and a sun burn..lol.
Can’t wait to be back to the area in a month! Watch out lings!

Couple updates for everyone. Fished Nootka beginning of May...was epic to say least ... even got a 41" Chinook. Have a watch here...
Returns of some 5 year old Chinook this season, no early season commercial Chinook fishery and little traffic due to Covid are setting us up for one of the best season in memory.

I spoke with Angie today. They are lobbying the FN to open the ramp, but there's not a set timeframe. Critter has arranged with Moucha to use their ramp, while not ideal, it's an option. You could risk the GR launch and find out what's happening, as many do. I'll be doing that next week, and see what happens. Police are not enforcing the launch closure. The docks at Cougar have been condemned, but can still use the ramp. Critter is business as usual except no sitting in for food, but they are providing a drive thru window sort of thing with some hot eats and sandwiches and breaky sandwiches. I'll be there June 28 to July 1, then again July 6 to 10, can't wait!

Couple updates for everyone. Fished Nootka beginning of May...was epic to say least ... even got a 41" Chinook. Have a watch here...
Returns of some 5 year old Chinook this season, no early season commercial Chinook fishery and little traffic due to Covid are setting us up for one of the best season in memory.

I spoke with Angie today. They are lobbying the FN to open the ramp, but there's not a set timeframe. Critter has arranged with Moucha to use their ramp, while not ideal, it's an option. You could risk the GR launch and find out what's happening, as many do. I'll be doing that next week, and see what happens. Police are not enforcing the launch closure. The docks at Cougar have been condemned, but can still use the ramp. Critter is business as usual except no sitting in for food, but they are providing a drive thru window sort of thing with some hot eats and sandwiches and breaky sandwiches. I'll be there June 28 to July 1, then again July 6 to 10, can't wait!
Love the videos and the update. T minus 8 days for me.
Cheers

Great info and video Papa!

I will be at Critter July 8,9,10. Keep us in the loop of what is going on there, appreciate it.

DML

What a trip for early May! Nice work on releasing those prime springs, don’t see enough of that these days. Great video thanks for sharing.

Heading up July 1-3. Now just waiting for launch to open so we can stop stressing! Maybe see you up there. Where are you launching PapaWisky?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back