Status
Not open for further replies.
Great report, I’m headed up to Moucha in 2 weeks. I purchased 2 Prawn traps today for the first time. Is it presumptive of me to ask a few tips and tricks for prawning? Just curious what you look for as far as depth and structure. Ever literally google the crap out of the internet and the 240ft depth seems to be a good place to start on a mud bottom. Is there a better bait to use that others. Was gonna either pick up a pail of pellets or the Yum Yum bait. I got 2 traps ( rectangular ones) with 400’ of line.

Cream turd. All the fish were stuffed with squid. The big moon brings the squid out.

Saturday night we were at Maquinna Pt and had 3 double headers on. The fish and bait was very thick.
Thanks for the intel, we are headed to Winter Harbour tomorrow for 6 days. Things should be similar up there I hope. Will report back.

Great report, I’m headed up to Moucha in 2 weeks. I purchased 2 Prawn traps today for the first time. Is it presumptive of me to ask a few tips and tricks for prawning? Just curious what you look for as far as depth and structure. Ever literally google the crap out of the internet and the 240ft depth seems to be a good place to start on a mud bottom. Is there a better bait to use that others. Was gonna either pick up a pail of pellets or the Yum Yum bait. I got 2 traps ( rectangular ones) with 400’ of line.

i like to set on the edge of structure where it flattens out, like on the bottom of a steep ledge. 240 seems pretty shallow to me i’m usually in 300 + feet of water. see if you can find a natural “choke point” where the tides move thru. get some prawn oil and soak your pellets in them. don’t be shy with the oil. all my pellets are shiny with oil and when i squeeze a pellet oil comes out

i like to set on the edge of structure where it flattens out, like on the bottom of a steep ledge. 240 seems pretty shallow to me i’m usually in 300 + feet of water. see if you can find a natural “choke point” where the tides move thru. get some prawn oil and soak your pellets in them. don’t be shy with the oil. all my pellets are shiny with oil and when i squeeze a pellet oil comes out
Nice, thanks for the input. I've got 8 solid days to find some prawns. I've got a mental note from years past where I've seen prawn traps.

Cheers

Canada Day week, we will be in Moutcha. They only have the lodge and cabins open and the campsite only for self-contained RVs. None of their floating lodges will open this year. Sounds like we will have Nootka to ourselves this year. Will look different for sure but I can't wait!

Booked Critter Cove today. Jul 31-Aug 3. First ever trip to Nootka. Usually fish 17 as thats my home area. Any intel and tips would be greatly appreciated. Going to bring our prawn and crab traps as well.

i may ask some some newbie questions on locations etc. Found Maquanna,Lighthouse, Hoiss,Coopte and Camel on the Navioncs app

thanks in advance

Sorry for the delay, I had to go do a few calls but clear now.

dennisb, if I could only pick one depth that we did the best at it would be 300 feet. We got some prawns at 425 feet and some at 240 but more consistently at 300.

When I go up for the first time it takes a bit to dial it in. Prawns are affected in a big way by the moon which changes the depth they are hanging out in.

So I will drop the first string at 400 or so then up to 350 and 300 right up to 250 and that will give you a good idea within the first pull where to concentrate your efforts.

Crali2014, if you only fished the 5 spots you named your hole trip you would go home with a cooler full of fish. There are other spots but those are choice to hang out at.

By July 31 there should be some decent numbers inside at Coopte, Hoiss or Camel Rock. Don't sleep in as the early bird gets the worm fishing those spots.

Take a day to go and fish outside just to see the scenery and experience a chrome silver bullet taking 400 feet of line without slowing down.

Thanks,

Mike

Thanks Codfather for the advice

very tempted to fish the outside like you said. Are you talking around the M56 buoy?
ive never had my boat out in true open water, Just SOG and SJDF. So little nervous if i may say lol. I have a 23’ Trophy so shouldnt be a problem

thanks again

Fishing in Esperanza inlet area has continued to be good around inner black and at low rock for chinook to 25 lbs. It has been a bit rough so no one has ventured down to Ferrer, and Inner black is only 10 minutes from the Lodge so no need. Halibut fishing may be a bit tougher everywhere on WCVI as there is a 5 nation's commercial opening on them, a lot of long lines out there this week.

Was on the Zabellos road Sunday, there had been some heavy rain and the road had some potholes/washboard sections, particularly for the first 14k from the highway. The grader was scheduled to be on the road starting Monday (yesterday) so should get better.

Sorry for the delay, I had to go do a few calls but clear now.

dennisb, if I could only pick one depth that we did the best at it would be 300 feet. We got some prawns at 425 feet and some at 240 but more consistently at 300.

When I go up for the first time it takes a bit to dial it in. Prawns are affected in a big way by the moon which changes the depth they are hanging out in.

So I will drop the first string at 400 or so then up to 350 and 300 right up to 250 and that will give you a good idea within the first pull where to concentrate your efforts.

Crali2014, if you only fished the 5 spots you named your hole trip you would go home with a cooler full of fish. There are other spots but those are choice to hang out at.

By July 31 there should be some decent numbers inside at Coopte, Hoiss or Camel Rock. Don't sleep in as the early bird gets the worm fishing those spots.

Take a day to go and fish outside just to see the scenery and experience a chrome silver bullet taking 400 feet of line without slowing down.

Thanks,

Mike
Codfather, thanks for the tips. Much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back