Seaport 2400 XL POD Conversion Project

AWESOME!!! And oh so brave being tied up on the outside at Cates dock! We once watched a 24' Bayliner get deposited on its side thanks to the scary yellow tugs...great work, she's a beauty.

Though I would provide an Update!

I moved the trailer axles last weekend was a big job but a buddy helped me out and it went well.

Original Weight was 3850KG over the axles with a 165Lb of tongue weight. It was pretty scary towing it after I filled the boat with fuel.
Based on the etrailer.com calculation to reach 12% tongue weight the axles needed to move 27.5 inches.

This morning was sea trial time!!!!!!!!!! As you can see after all the work it still floats!

In terms of numbers.

WOT I hit 45.6MPH at a burn rate of 16GPH (I am not sure if this was combined or single but based on the Seasports data I posted on the first page of this thread it would seem to match with there combined numbers)
Cruse 30MPH burn rate 6.2GPH

Overall the boat is awesome, its out of the hole and on plane in 2 sec. at WOT throttle you can feel it starting to chine walk and shake so I won't be running WOT very often. The steering is very heavy and I will likely need to add power assist.

I will post pictures of the inside in a few days when everything is buttoned up
Now that is nice

I moved the trailer axles last weekend was a big job but a buddy helped me out and it went well.

Original Weight was 3850KG over the axles with a 165Lb of tongue weight. It was pretty scary towing it after I filled the boat with fuel.
Based on the etrailer.com calculation to reach 12% tongue weight the axles needed to move 27.5 inches.

This morning was sea trial time!!!!!!!!!! As you can see after all the work it still floats!

In terms of numbers.

WOT I hit 45.6MPH at a burn rate of 16GPH (I am not sure if this was combined or single but based on the Seasports data I posted on the first page of this thread it would seem to match with there combined numbers)

Overall the boat is awesome, its out of the hole and on plane in 2 sec. at WOT throttle you can feel it starting to chine walk and shake so I won't be running WOT very often. The steering is very heavy and I will likely need to add power assist.

Pretty sure those numbers are per engine so your gph is double that

In terms of numbers.

Gorgeous boat

Well done,I'm sure it was a pricey undertaking but now you have one of the nicest rigs on our coast.

Nice work!

We did 2 of these conversions a few years back. If you look on facebook for Wescan Marine you might find some of it on there. Looks like you used PDR. He makes a nice POD

Hey Guy's

Yes the boat is pretty much done. We got out and did some prawning a few weeks ago the boat rides awesome and I have no complaints. It cost a bunch more that what I originally calculated but thats the way it goes, I now have the boat I always wanted. In terms of issue so far, the only issue I would say is the epoxy deck paint is not holding up as well as I had hoped. after two prawning trips its already showing a few scratches. I might have to have the deck re painted in a year or two.

The only other issue was the steering, the twins where very heavy to steer so I have been working to install a seastar power assit pump. Should be done in a few days. Once I am all done I will post a picture tour of the whole boat to end off this thread!

Capt

Brush on gel coat is very easy and very durable. Can spray it but for something like a deck hatch for a fish boat just roll or brush it on. I like to brush it on

Steering should be butter. What helm do you have?

You know what sucks about the power assist? draws power all the time. Hard on batteries.

Dunno about the uflex helms as we use seastar. The new style 1.7 & 2.4 seastar helms are like butter. As long as the hose size and the installation is correct.

I am wiring the power assist to the ignition keys so it will only be on when running so battery consumption won't be an issue. I am also pulling the power for the power assist from the house battery so the ACR system will protect the starting batteries incase I ever leave the keys on....

Dunno if your using mercury power assisted unit or seastar. I know the mercury units a while back were drawing somewhere in the 10 amp range nominally. I thought that was the stupidest thing I've ever seen in a boat. Thats why the mercy go through alternators. The engine itself draws major current to run, then you add things like power assisted assemblies, then down riggers and major electronics before you know it your boat is at capacity. Maybe they changed some of the designs on the newer mercury engines.

Anyway nice boat. Looks fishy

I had an older power steering pump that failed on my boat running a single and kicker. That pump drew so much I never thought my kicker was charging. Just had a new one installed and it’s much better.

Back