Discovery Bay Pot Hauler

2k .......that's a hell of a lot of $$ for a puller. Not saying it isn't worth it but man that is a lot of dough for something an ace does adequately

These are vastly superior to Ace haulers. The comparison would be a Shimano 4000 and an Islander MR3. Those haulers are good on bigger boats as you don’t pop fuses etc and can easily haul 3-4 sets of prawn gear as well as crab traps from deeper depths.

Remember we all desire something better. Hence our fishing gear addictions.
If I had a big aluminum work horse I'd rock one of these. My glass princess doesn't suit it.

2k .......that's a hell of a lot of $$ for a puller. Not saying it isn't worth it but man that is a lot of dough for something an ace does adequately
No comparison from what I've heard from a fella that has used one in Washington for a few years now. I've had two aces. Sold them both. Last puller I bought was the Scotty and I actually prefer it over the Aces I've had but that's just preference for a couple reasons.

I fish in some rough weather pretty often cause my boat is made for it. What I find to be a main issues with all the pullers I've had is their lack of speed and power especially when you want to get the gear in quickly when pulling in nasty water and weather conditions. At 120' per minute retrieval this puller should help a lot with that.

I also want the puller for other reasons as I'll be doing commercial diving from my boat as well and these pullers also have an option of a controlled reverse mode which will be very handy for some of my diving needs.

There is also a further option to carry a pre loaded spool of heavy braid line on a spare spool that can be used if you need to load/unload gear with a thin string line on it's own self contained spool. I'll be using that option as well.

I think it's really in a class of it's own not meant to be compared to Aces and Scotties.

No comparison from what I've heard from a fella that has used one in Washington for a few years now. I've had two aces. Sold them both. Last puller I bought was the Scotty and I actually prefer it over the Aces I've had but that's just preference for a couple reasons.

I fish in some rough weather pretty often cause my boat is made for it. What I find to be a main issues with all the pullers I've had is their lack of speed and power especially when you want to get the gear in quickly when pulling in nasty water and weather conditions. At 120' per minute retrieval this puller should help a lot with that.

I also want the puller for other reasons as I'll be doing commercial diving from my boat as well and these pullers also have an option of a controlled reverse mode which will be very handy for some of my diving needs.

There is also a further option to carry a pre loaded spool of heavy braid line on a spare spool that can be used if you need to load/unload gear with a thin string line on it's own self contained spool. I'll be using that option as well.

I think it's really in a class of it's own not meant to be compared to Aces and Scotties.
I just....got a puller from Prawn Stars. I love it and I believe it to be a small step up from the Ace. But if I’d known about these I would have saved my pennies a little longer and gotten one. Maybe in a year or two....

I just....got a puller from Prawn Stars. I love it and I believe it to be a small step up from the Ace. But if I’d known about these I would have saved my pennies a little longer and gotten one. Maybe in a year or two....
I was looking at the Prawn Stars too when I found these pullers. I think it will be worth the $ in the long run as it's also a business expense so that helps a little bit too.

I was looking at the Prawn Stars too when I found these pullers. I think it will be worth the $ in the long run as it's also a business expense so that helps a little bit too.
I think it’ll be worth it regardless of the write off. Let us know how well it works once you’ve used it. I’d love a first hand testimonial. Maybe even a vid if your up to it.

New member here. I've owned a Power Hauler for 4 years. Mine is the older model (less power then the more recent ones). The one I have will tip my Sea Runner on it"s chine if I snag something. With the tall davit, you can land the trap in the middle of your deck. It is very quiet. Probably the best feature is the neoprene pulley. It will hold whatever weight you hang off it....without slipping. The red chunk of neoprene behind the sheave, peels the line out of the sheave.....otherwise it would just go around. It comes with a 30 amp breaker.....that resets itself....and the switch is 90 amp. I have it hooked up to 2 deep cycle 750 cranking amp batteries with 6ga. wire with stab lock welding cable connectors. I also wanted a hauler that could pull my halibut anchor....the sheave will even pull the anchor chain.....After 4 years I thought it deserved some service....I took the cover off the motor to see if there was something to grease....It's all sealed...nothing to service....There is a cutaway of the motor and gear in the advertising. Chuck Tamblyn (owner) has a couple you tube videos on it. I have no interest in the company but when an item is this pricey....I do my research.

New member here. I've owned a Power Hauler for 4 years. Mine is the older model (less power then the more recent ones). The one I have will tip my Sea Runner on it"s chine if I snag something. With the tall davit, you can land the trap in the middle of your deck. It is very quiet. Probably the best feature is the neoprene pulley. It will hold whatever weight you hang off it....without slipping. The red chunk of neoprene behind the sheave, peels the line out of the sheave.....otherwise it would just go around. It comes with a 30 amp breaker.....that resets itself....and the switch is 90 amp. I have it hooked up to 2 deep cycle 750 cranking amp batteries with 6ga. wire with stab lock welding cable connectors. I also wanted a hauler that could pull my halibut anchor....the sheave will even pull the anchor chain.....After 4 years I thought it deserved some service....I took the cover off the motor to see if there was something to grease....It's all sealed...nothing to service....There is a cutaway of the motor and gear in the advertising. Chuck Tamblyn (owner) has a couple you tube videos on it. I have no interest in the company but when an item is this pricey....I do my research.
Great info. Thank you very much and welcome to the forum.

I've got the Discovery Bay puller and it is awesome! Had an Ace before and there is no comparison. Chuck (the owner of the company) is a great guy and will give you lots of help if you ever have any issues.

Neighbor has one on his kngfisher; it's absolutely incredible. The whole setup is a total game changer with the foot activated pad etc. I have a really bad lower back and being hunched over trying to direct rope into a nice pile does a number on my back. He has half of a plastic 45 gallon drum that the rope fed into and you just stand there straight up and do virtually nothing.

Thanks guys. Great info. Well I'm totally sold on it and will be ordering one up. Hopefully the company is still operating during the virus situation.

Back