2020 sockeye?

wildmanyeah

Crew Member
Pretty ****** news, seen this posted on FB.

here was a Barkley Sound Roundtable meeting held today.

This was an extra meeting on top of the usual meeting schedule, it was not intended to be the official pre-season meeting - rather the purpose of this meeting was to discuss the challenges we have been having lately with too much of the harvest happening in June.

The low productivity from both lakes lately, but especially from Great Central Lake means that our June fishing plans have been harvesting more of the run that we had originally planned when we formulated the original June plan. Also, the in-river fishery has become much more efficient at catching fish, so its impact on the June fishery has grown. When the run size is large enough, this impact isn't as severe, as the escapement can catch up in July, and the other fishing groups can also catch up with their allocation in July.

With the smaller run sizes and reduced productivity we have seen lately, there isn't enough fish available in July and August to cover off the over fishing in June. We have come up with a number of options for fixing this problem, and the May/June fisheries are going to be reduced to protect the escapement until we can see that productivity has improved.

As you can imagine, the meeting gradually because a pre-season meeting, even though that wasn't the intention. The forecast for next year is very poor. The sibling forecast for next year is only 168,000 total return, and it has typically been the most accurate forecast model out of all the options. The pre-season run size we use for management purposes hasn't been finalized this year yet, but it will be below 200,000 adults.

With a forecast of under 200,000 there is no fishing. No commercial, no recreational, and although there is a small FSC allocation reserved even at that low run size, the indication so far is that the bands will not take any FSC this year either.

We were horrified at the forecast. The DFO has agreed that there should be enough early indicators to have a rough look at the in-season run size on June 18th - in the hopes that something positive could be happening.

Might as well get all the bad news out of the way, the preliminary Fraser Forecast is under a million adults, and historically this cycle year is the lowest abundance of the four, so don't expect anything positive to happen on sockeye at all this year.

So....168,000 for Stamp/sproat. DFO to allocate 100,000 to “inriver fisheries” at a later date lol.
We will see if the nets stay out.

It's pretty impressive how bottlenecked the netting is in the lower river. Makes you wonder how many actually get by on somedays.

Too bad...the Alberni sockeye fishery was one of the last places to get your socks!

I have been saying for years that it was just a matter of time before they f$cked this fishery.

Hopefully conservation is the priority and DFO actually enforces it.

This is very SAD, but not at all surprising or unexpected news. If it is a surprise to anyone then they have not been paying attention. Sadly it is another shining example of DFO incompetence.

On at least one recent occasion a well known member of this forum ( not me) decided to be honest about the situation. Maybe his attempt to raise awareness of the then and now seen consequences of DFO’s management strategy in this fishery was more accurate than some gave credit.

It is past time everyone starts being honest about DFO, the impacts of each sector, what has been happening for a lot of years now surrounding DFO science and industry influence.

I will stop here as I am offering nothing helpful. I am the first to admit that I am far to ignorant as to all the complicated science, effort that goes into, and the history of fisheries planning to tell anyone how they should do it differently.

I have read through as much of of the management conversations on this and other forums as I can stand to. From that reading has come one question.

What is good science?
If being honest about the theme of the hundreds of pages of discussion on the web it seems good science amounts to nothing more than the science that provides the desired outcome. If a sector is loosing access the science being used to defend the removal of access is no good or absent. If a fishery is being supported by DFO despite being challenged by others, those benefiting use that same science to defend what they stand to loose. If it is in river netting, legal or not , that science become irrelevant.

How to change this? I have no idea. Maybe it starts with being honest about what is taking place regardless of who may be upset by it. Maybe we have all ran out of ways to manipulate the same numbers to create different perceived outcomes. Maybe it is now at a point where , despite all efforts, access will continue to shrink until gone completely.!

Again I have no idea or enough time and commitment to find out, so I will do as I said I would and stop here. Sorry for the rant. I like many, am feeling overwhelmed with the never ending stream of bad news.

Last edited:
So....168,000 for Stamp/sproat. DFO to allocate 100,000 to “inriver fisheries” at a later date lol.
We will see if the nets stay out.

It's pretty impressive how bottlenecked the netting is in the lower river. Makes you wonder how many actually get by on somedays.

Too bad...the Alberni sockeye fishery was one of the last places to get your socks!
Where are you getting the 100K quote, Whitebuck?

Back