Hole in my sons canoe

Fish Camp

Doing yard work today .I noticed a very large fir branch had broke off the neighbours tree and had landed on my sons fiberglass canoe putting a hole in the keel where the floatation at the stearn is and leaving some deep scratches down the side.Son dosn't know yet .What should I do?

Tring to figure a tacfull way to approach the new neighbour with my problem whom is a athority figure in the community without sticking my neck out. Our large trees have had spiral prunning done a few years back as they encroach on others around us.His tree has not been prunned and branch clearly came from his tree.I was thinking if I see the couple together I would wave /ask them both to have a look at my problem together ,without saying words and just point with a open hand to the broken spot on the tree ,point to the broken branch ,point to the hole in the canoe ,point to a 500$ for sale sign on the canoe as pics were taken last summer in good order when put up for sale ,and walk away without so many words.time will tell I guess.I just don't know what to do.

I would not get into theatrics like miming stuff unless you are actually a well-known mime in your community and people appreciate your art form. Even then, some people hate mimes, so probably talking is going to get you further.

Instead I'd just go next door and say, "hey, in that wind storm, your tree dropped a huge branch on my kid's canoe and I'd like to get it fixed up before it's canoeing season and he's stuck without his canoe - he loves that thing. Do you want to come take a look? I don't really know the details about repairing this stuff or insurance or whatever but before I get too far into it I wanted to get your input here."

I spoke to my son about his canoe 1 hour ago.and he said "HAZZERDS of storage".wtf? ",and not to talk to the neighbourabout his canoe".this nieghbour found me/us and fixed my tooth aches ( meds) 10 years going good.just saying a friend is a gift you give yourself.and if I could approach with my problem with tac .I might be better advised to meet midway to do some spiral prunning punning for both of our familys out of 500$ and have to meet there arbourest.just another thaught.

If the canoe is only worth 500 then the hole and scratches can't be worth more than 100 bucks in theory. Of course getting someone to fix it will cost you a lot more than that but from a value perspective how much should the neighbor be on the hook for? If I were you, I would tell him what happened and tell him that you may try to fix it yourself. See if he suggests any financial compensation. If not and you don't think the hassle and risk of getting on bad terms with a neighbor you have a good relationship with, fix it yourself. It's very easy. I did a fiberglass patch on a friend's boat last year and it was easy. I may even have some of the supplies hanging around and can give you enough for the repair. If you are interested send me a pm with your number. What city you in?

Id say its a act of nature and well good luck on him paying if he does all the better,

The above is correct. if going the insurance claim route, ( which sounds like the vessel is not worth it ) you would have to make an insurance claim, not the neighbor

Let’s pretend the boat is worth 20,000 for a minute.

You would open up a claim and the adjuster would come out to assess etc. The adjuster may decide that it would be prudent for the insurance company to subrogate against the neighbor to recoup their loss,
but you would still need to initiate a claim. you would never see that money, the insurance company would.

Furthermore, now you will be charged a claim and your rates will be subject to increase.

You can also be charged a claim against your insurance if the adjuster attends and then you decide to withdraw your claim. They bill their hours against your policy and the insurance company may decide to ding you.

Glad i’m out of that game....

I would not get into theatrics like miming stuff unless you are actually a well-known mime in your community and people appreciate your art form. Even then, some people hate mimes, so probably talking is going to get you further.

Instead I'd just go next door and say, "hey, in that wind storm, your tree dropped a huge branch on my kid's canoe and I'd like to get it fixed up before it's canoeing season and he's stuck without his canoe - he loves that thing. Do you want to come take a look? I don't really know the details about repairing this stuff or insurance or whatever but before I get too far into it I wanted to get your input here."
Cracked Ribs, you crack me up

Our neighbor had an ugly old pine that dripped sap on my boat and car. The first snowfall it lost a branch that ended up on the hood of our car. I had an arborist come look at the tree and he said it should come down before it falls down. It was about 30' tall and a couple three feet round. I let the guy next door know about the tree and he wasn't willing to do anything until I offered to pay to cut it down and he could keep the wood for his stove. His kids grew up with the tree and gave me stink eye after the removal.

Back