Rod building information.

BryceWCP

Hello everyone.
I have been a member here for a while but have never posted. I’m interested in trying out rod building. So my questions are

what are the basic needed tools

are the kits online worth looking at (mud hole.com etc)

any tips or pointers.

does anyone on here themselves have old equipment just collecting dust?

thanks in advance Bryce!

Evening Bryce,
I have been building rods off and on for the last forty years. When I started out I used a cardboard box with 2 protected V notched to hold the rod blank, a bowl to hold the spool of thread and a book to pass the thread through to hold the tension on the thread. After I had a few rod's behind me I built a rod wrapper based on the one in the book by: Dale Clemens (sp). You will need a good set of fine pointed scissors, sharp blades, a small fine file to dress the guide feet, a burnishing tool to pack thread.
For finishing you will need acetone, brushes, color preserver and epoxy finish. I have not tried the kits at Mudhole but have heard great things about them. If you will be making your own handles you will need a way to turn the cork rings. Maybe best to build the first few with pre-made cork handles.
Other items are masking tape, measuring tape and different grades of sandpaper.... any other questions just ask.

ttys John I

PS also Join rodbuilding.org a great site with tons of help and a good set of sites for parts

Evening Bryce,
I have been building rods off and on for the last forty years. When I started out I used a cardboard box with 2 protected V notched to hold the rod blank, a bowl to hold the spool of thread and a book to pass the thread through to hold the tension on the thread. After I had a few rod's behind me I built a rod wrapper based on the one in the book by: Dale Clemens (sp). You will need a good set of fine pointed scissors, sharp blades, a small fine file to dress the guide feet, a burnishing tool to pack thread.
For finishing you will need acetone, brushes, color preserver and epoxy finish. I have not tried the kits at Mudhole but have heard great things about them. If you will be making your own handles you will need a way to turn the cork rings. Maybe best to build the first few with pre-made cork handles.
Other items are masking tape, measuring tape and different grades of sandpaper.... any other questions just ask.

ttys John I

PS also Join rodbuilding.org a great site with tons of help and a good set of sites for parts

Thank you so much John. I’ll check them out!

I have only built one rod. Very similar to John, I made my own rod supports and used a book to tension thread with. I already was tying flies so had some tools there that proved useful for rod building. I made my own squeeze for the cork on the handle and found an old pump motor that was relatively low in rpm to sand them down. To this day it is one of my favorite rods. 10'6'' Lamiglass blank for Steelheading and Coho with a centrepin. I once landed a 20lb spring with a 6lb leader thanks to that rod.
I would say if you are going to build a few invest in the proper tools, but for one..... Necessity is the Mother of all invention. Cheers, and good luck.

My favorite build was a Sage 9' medium steelhead blank that I built for spincasting the shore. I wanted a rod that was very sensitive and the Sage
certainly did not disappoint. You can hold the rod in one hand a have someone just touch the tip with a fingernail and you can feel it in the grip.
A real pleasure to fight a 25#spring with 17# test.

There is a store in Sooke (I think) that will sell you all the supplies you need, including books etc. I have ordered from him and have complete satisfaction with his parts and service. Andy is always happy to talk and will give good advice as well.

https://rodbuildersupplies.com/

There is a store in Sooke (I think) that will sell you all the supplies you need, including books etc. I have ordered from him and have complete satisfaction with his parts and service. Andy is always happy to talk and will give good advice as well.

https://rodbuildersupplies.com/

Andy Snedon is in Central Saannich at the end of Willis Point Road. Great guy to work with.

Has anyone ever done a spiral wrap guided bottom fishing rod. I am thinking of converting mine.

Haven't done a spiral wrap but thinking of building one. I have always hated using a level wind reel with all of the guides on top of the rod. Always fighting the reel
motion back and forth. Pain in the butt.

Back