Anyone ever fish in Belize?

Pippen

My other half is down there right now with her cousin and they'd like to get out offshore for some fishing.

Has anyone ever been to Placencia, Belize and fished there?

Thanks.

Yessir. Ambergris Caye, San Pedro for two days - https://gofishbelize.com/ - got to fish with Abner (the owner and apparent godfather of fly fishing in San Pedro) and he was a great guide, obviously knew everything in ridiculous detail... We were there in February, not a ton of action on Tarpon, but there were enough bones to keep you busy all day if desired. Landed a lot of bones on day two, and also chased and cast at a lot of permit (didn't hook any...) the next day with Abner's son (can't remember his name), also a great guide. Sounds like there are some good options for DIY bones there as well. Might be headed that way in Feb again to check that out. Oh and San Pedro is all golf carts, so getting around is real easy.

Placencia is 'way' in the south. Very different from San Pedro. I have been to Caye Caulker a few times, the less touristy and even more laid back version of Ambergris.

Took one charter there and got into a couple permit, as shown in my profile pic.

Literally caught bone fish from the dock of our bungalow WHILE MY WIFE WAS SWIMMING. They were everywhere. Even got a decent sized baracuda and fought a tarpon right from shore. (didn't land the Tarpon, my gear was outgunned).

Offshore is a different story, never tried that out of Belize. There is a barrier reef that you need to get past to get out to blue water.

It's too far to the continental shelf for decent offshore fishing that's why all the action is inshore.

Thanks for the info from all.

There looks to be only a handful of "offshore" operations judging by looking at Trip Advisor and a couple of other sites.

it's all flats fishing... Crazy amount of bones and permit and tarpon with the right conditions.

No offshore fishing... There is fishing outside the reefs in deeper water, but not worth it.

Bones and tarpon can be caught from shore in lots of places.

I have fished there a couple of times. Turneffe atoll, and out of Placencia and Ambergris. Great bone fishing but mostly bananas. A 4 lb fish is a big one in my experience. The tarpon fishing is pretty good if you get there at the right time. Lots of babies around in the mangroves and big ones roaming the flats. I have fished both with fly and spinning gear with good success there. The bottom fishing is pretty fun as well if you get the right guide to take you out. Lots of snapper and reef fish. There are some big grouper around, I think, but I never caught one when I was there. Belize is a great place to go, laid back and safe. Have fun and enjoy a Belikin for the rest of us stuck up in the cold.

Back