Live Squid Fishing Video

Thanks, I always find i never have enough time to do all things i want when im up their.

Kenny Myers told me about this same fishery many years ago. There's a bay near Ucluelet that the squid spawn in and it's the same drill.
Jig up some live squid, rig them on a salmon mooching rod then hang on!
he said more often than not a Chinook would grab a squid that was hooked on a jig on the light spinning rod, then the fun begins!

Was there a bobber stop up the line so the bait would go deeper, or were they just fishing a 6 foot or so leader under the bobber?

E31021B1-798D-4DF3-A2CE-1DE090895712.png Had a blast early season up in the Gwaii catching springs off the dock w/ live squid on kids spinning rods w/ 8lb test. Also got a small nook on a prawn. Rod in rod holder on boat tied up to dock while tidying up. Down 3 or 4’. No weight or float on either. The inside gals even got in on the action. Made for some fun evenings having beers on the dock with the boys all armed with kids spinning rods. Couldn’t get them shipped up quick enough. 876CEC99-D33E-4F3E-B8DF-CBE6B3F24D93.png

Last edited:
View attachment 49022 Had a blast early season up in the Gwaii catching springs off the dock w/ live squid on kids spinning rods w/ 8lb test. Also got a small nook on a prawn. Rod in rod holder on boat tied up to dock while tidying up. Down 3 or 4’. No weight or float on either. The inside gals even got in on the action. Made for some fun evenings having beers on the dock with the boys all armed with kids spinning rods. Couldn’t get them shipped up quick enough. View attachment 49021
"And that was the first time I got chlamydia" o_O

fishmyster rekindled this fishery in ukee a few years ago, this year he stuck to it while we where all trolling around him close to bammer. I stopped 100' away and threw down a lil nib and hooked up within 2 mins of jigging, then my son got one.. the next three days thats all we did.. really amazing way to catch. love his outriggers to slow down the pukers and auto jiggers.

Goes back to the days of live herring on anchor at Pender Harbour (70’s & early 80’s for me) and live sand lance at Wilf Rock in the early 90’s in Tofino.

Fun times

Goes back to the days of live herring on anchor at Pender Harbour (70’s & early 80’s for me) and live sand lance at Wilf Rock in the early 90’s in Tofino.

Fun times
Have heard of the live squid thing and have fished live herring lots ( Sunshine Coast and Haida gwaii) , but have never heard of people fishing live sandlance. Care to elaborate ? How were they attained , rigging etc.

This is such a well made, entertaining and well edited video - thanks for sharing. What a dream couple of days catching salmon under ideal conditions. Definitely bucket list.

Have heard of the live squid thing and have fished live herring lots ( Sunshine Coast and Haida gwaii) , but have never heard of people fishing live sandlance. Care to elaborate ? How were they attained , rigging etc.
We netted them up when they were boiling on the surface using a long handled small mesh bait net. Used 1 small octopus hook thru the nose so they could swim freely, no more than 3 oz weight
Preferred to anchor out of the strong tide so we could anchor Otherwise we seemed to get too many cohos

We use to snag sandlance off Oak Bay marina (Turkey Head?) in the winter and then just bobber fish them. They stayed alive long enough. Springs do/did come in there.

There were millions of small squid under the docks in Nootka this year at Critter Cove. At night time coho would chase the squid and many would jump up on the docks. I picked up 20 one morning. Used them for Hali bait.

Cool! What time of year were the squid around?

Back