Status
Not open for further replies.
Left dock at Cheanuh about 730 am today, dropped lines in the chop off beechy about tide change to find it surprisingly dead, as the few times we were out during the last week, we had action within the first ten minutes. Trolled halfway to trap shack..still nothing...turned back, as the flood started about 915 we began to get hits from pinks straight out from the head in about 300 ft of water ,including a double header. we couldnt keep em off, but unfortunately we had to leave by ten so started our troll back into the bay, had one more hit that didn’t stick as we pulled lines up near adridge. Ended up with 4 in the boat during the last 45 mins.. no springs today for us

There is south Vancouver island rangers derby on aug 18
You have the wrong date bud its the 17th this Saturday

SVIR Fishing Derby

Ticket sales are still pretty slow for our SVIR Fishing Derby which will be held on Saturday, August 17th. People can get tickets at Metal Supermarkets or phone me direct 250-880-0156. Tickets are and at Cheanuh Marina.

Thanks! Ranger Mark Hoenen

Lots of boats off Beachy Head this morning. Only saw 1 fish boated.

Well, the same as LMC and Islandboy above, things seem back to normal for us today too, after those incredible halcyon days of late July and early August. We fished the Trap area for 4 hours and Possession for a couple more hours and could not find any chinooks at all. :(

There were pinks everywhere and we could not avoid them. The deepest one we caught was 84’ in 220’ of water and the shallowest was 50’ in 55’ of water. Talking of shallow, another annoyance today was rockfish. We caught a couple of those at 55’ in 120’ of water early on, so they were way up high in the water column. They continued to steal bait on and off all day.

We packed up at 1:00pm but in the last hour went out into 160’ of water off the harbour mouth, where we encountered more bait stealers; this time tiny “shaker size” chinooks, which again were everywhere.

And finally, we counted 57 boats in the vicinity of the Trap today, but we only saw one chinook landed by a guide boat, so I don’t think we were the only ones to strike out! ;)

Nice sunny day but with wind later on and a big groundswell coming from the West.

Fished from 6.3o to 12:30 today. My buddy landed a 10lb spring and released one at the boat around 8 lbs. I released a couple 4-5 lbs. Took our limit of pinks. Beautiful day and crazy busy in tight.

Wow what an incredible day. 4 for 5 on springs 25, 21, 18, 12 and lost the biggest one of course. Only kept the 21 lber red wild. Beautiful fish. 13 pinks, kept 3, and 2 wild coho. and a massive humpback whale 100 ft from my boat. Scared the crap out of me!. Just a beautiful beast. Springs were all caught early 5:30am-8:00am. Used everything today. But Bait got the biggest springs. Only used 2 pieces of bait today on the big springs then switched to gear. So far two trips and 3 pieces of bait. Pretty good I'd say.

Out after work for high slack, 2 springs in 20 minutes at possession. 16lb white and 12lb red.
Released a couple 10-12 and a couple pinks.

Dont know what some are doing wrong but last report i did ive been very busy(sorry),but fishing is still unreal been very good fishing yesterday was beyond epic as you know I use 3 downriggers and all 3 went off 3 springs on we only needed 1 to top of yet another limit, so now comes the guessing game first one came up about 12 ish let it go single hook on side easy.... next both come up about same time hhhhhhmmm decisions well we take the 21 lber let the 15ish swim for another day had the andrew P spoon get 3 on yesterday and it also got the biggest one (37) feet im using the tiny one 3 inch version as the bait is VERY small right now . "match the hatch" still going to say it best fishing ive seen here in a very long time , still a few pinks around as well.

Good luck Wolf

Dont know what some are doing wrong but last report i did ive been very busy(sorry),but fishing is still unreal been very good fishing yesterday was beyond epic as you know I use 3 downriggers and all 3 went off 3 springs on we only needed 1 to top of yet another limit, so now comes the guessing game first one came up about 12 ish let it go single hook on side easy.... next both come up about same time hhhhhhmmm decisions well we take the 21 lber let the 15ish swim for another day had the andrew P spoon get 3 on yesterday and it also got the biggest one (37) feet im using the tiny one 3 inch version as the bait is VERY small right now . "match the hatch" still going to say it best fishing ive seen here in a very long time , still a few pinks around as well.

Good luck Wolf
Roy,
I know what myself and a few others on here (and most of the 57 boats at the Trap yesterday!) are doing wrong. We are at the wrong location for that day and state of the tide. It is all about location, location, location, which is why you Cby and Tips above do not state your location because that is absolutely vital information.
Regarding "match the hatch" that part I am doing right because that is why I can sometimes catch fish on my little herring, like the one I got for my daughter, but ONLY if I am in the right location........which a great deal of the time I am not. LOL:)

Last edited:
Got out on Friday with a couple of fishing gurus to fish Possession and Secretary. It didn’t take long for Chris to find the scrappy springs as he and Bagjaun were dialled in with there bait. There was a bit of a lull before noon ( waved to you Englishman) then the afternoon bite came on and fishing was outstanding off Secretary in the turbulence which made for some challenges ( my net job was not good). Bait was getting smashed and when we ran out the spoons were on fire. Was worth the wait for our last spring to fill our dance card. On our last pass of the day I had one that hit and took me a good 15 mins to get to the boat expecting a monster that would need to be sadly released but upon closer look maybe only a 15 lb so it wasn’t so bad letting it go. Thanks Bag & Chris for sharing your knowledge and letting me get in the way ;-) our biggest was 23 lbs the other two in the teens with some pinks in the mix but couldn’t find that clipped Coho. An excellent day of fishing. Good luck to all this weekend .

7482609D-5BC1-4DC0-B682-BA0E2A4497B2.jpeg Got up at 8 this morning, cooked up blueberry pancakes and bacon, and headed out just after nine to fish pinks with the kids. Dropped an army truck and a pink squirt into about 90’ near Secretary. Had a double header with a minute or two, but they both shook the hook. 20 min later another double header two good size pinks so kept em. Next half hour was frantic action trying to mange both downriggers and net, while coaching the kids the do’s and don’ts (don’t steer in front of him!!). Anyway great morning of fishing, back at the cabin by 1130 for lunch and a beer for the skipper!

Last edited:
Yes, I agree with Wolf, I’ve been out Sooke way the last couple of weekends, and it’s been great fishing. I had a guest on LimeRicky today who had several opportunities to land a few springs early and often but we ended up limiting out just before noon. Kept several pinks for the smoker as well.
The one spring I cut into had over a dozen 3” fish in its stomach.

View attachment 47144 Got up at 8 this morning, cooked up blueberry pancakes and bacon, and headed out just after nine to fish pinks with the kids. Dropped an army truck and a pink squirt into about 90’ near Secretary. Had a double header with a minute or two, but they both shook the hook. 20 min later another double header two good size pinks so kept em. Next half hour was frantic action trying to mange both downriggers and net, while coaching the kids the do’s and don’ts (don’t steer in front of him!!). Anyway great morning of fishing, back at the cabin by 1130 for lunch and a beer for the skipper!

Where was that great pic taken?

When I saw that all unfold was like oh oh here it comes be thank full you got the flasher back usually your hooped and ,hey the way fishing is that was just a small one anyways and your so good it gave you another chance at a bigger one. be thankful it wasnt a seal who would have taken everything and possibly all your line like they normally do
AS for location Roland ive seen so post what you post im right beside you limiting out alot of times , also I see cheanuh report stating "trap was hot " again its small details in fishing that makes you successful, the above mentioned names all do it even the 7 ft chiseled man. we look and see whats going on certain places "hold" fish and you have to identify it not troll aimisly around looking to maybe "bump" into one.
I had 2 trips yesterday one in am one in afternoon Am one we had 2 for 5 but still got them ,afternoon was very good fish were deeper today not shallow like normal.

68402640_2084216088541061_7139480104136081408_n.jpg

68369611_2084216135207723_6250454979471998976_n.jpg

Roland like Wolf says it may appear dead but remember fish don't bite all day. It is quiet everywhere for more hours in a day then it is hot with an insane bite going on. That crazy bite may last 15 minutes or 90 minutes and then its like the tap got shut off and its over. The rest of the time its one here and one there. The point is you need to be in the right area at the right time when it goes crazy. You can only be there consistently when it happens by not wandering off into the ozone all the time. Yes it may be boring going back and forth over the same water waiting for it. At least Otter offers a longer tack than places like the lighthouse or Possession where you go round and round more often while you wait. But its the price you pay for getting into lots of fish. I'm still choked that the prime part of the lighthouse is still closed because I now have to fish the big crowds while I wait and often can't get to specific spots when I want to because I'm blocked out. It surprises me that when a bite comes on and fish are being caught in a specific spot that many people troll through and then keep going if they don't hook up. Instead of shortening their tack and circling back to get back into line for another quick pass through.

Roy,
I know what myself and a few others on here (and most of the 57 boats at the Trap yesterday!) are doing wrong. We are at the wrong location for that day and state of the tide. It is all about location, location, location, which is why you Cby and Tips above do not state your location because that is absolutely vital information.
Regarding "match the hatch" that part I am doing right because that is why I can sometimes catch fish on my little herring, like the one I got for my daughter, but ONLY if I am in the right location........which a great deal of the time I am not. LOL:)
Location for sure is very important for the conditions/tide/current etc.. but lot's and lot's of other factors come into play with constantly getting hook ups. You might be pleasantly surprised how some more experienced locals may be open to sharing more info/advice with you if you spend some time with them, message them directly, book a trip with them, etc..
Certain baits, gear, fish better at certain times/conditions, contours play a huge part with tide/current conditions with regards to where/when bait will be in those areas for feeding fish to target and spend time in, bait doesn't act/fish the same just thrown into a teaser head, hook placement, hook size, bait bend, cure/scent, etc all play important rolls too, leader length with regard to what kind of bait or lure etc you are using plays a roll as well, so many little things all come into play it's not just location. But timing of a location in relation to lot's of other factors is very important.. Make friends with local knowledge and spread kindness in return will often be good for everyone. Time, experience and patience are the best teachers but help from others can speed some of that up as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back