2019 Nootka Sound/Esperanza Inlet Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heading up Thursday-Sunday. Noticed that the commercial gillnetters have a three day opening starting August 12. Does this usually cool things off for a couple days once it’s all said n done

I heard someone on the dock saying the opening was all the way out to camel rock but that could just be a rumour. Even if that's the case hoiss should be beyond that and it was producing well.

Heading up Thursday-Sunday. Noticed that the commercial gillnetters have a three day opening starting August 12. Does this usually cool things off for a couple days once it’s all said n done
Yes, it will on the inside. I've been up there when they pulled out 4000 fish in a night and I sure felt it for a few days...

Finished my trip at Esperanza Inlet. 2 guys limited on chinook, coho, ling and Hali.

Inshore was a complete disappointment. Got some chinook Aug 3 and 4 but tough grind. Fished Pin, Low Rock and Rosa yesterday and only a couple small coho. Really sad. Hopefully they are late. Some decent coho at Pin Rock.

Offshore on the other hand was on fire. Biggest 28 lbs chinook. Multiple double headers. Flat calm seas. Coho however were non existent. Fist time I have ever seen no coho offshore. Caught 3 pinks out there at 250 ft.

Interesting find. Caught some nice high teen and low twenty pound chinook about 6 miles off the coast. Fishing medium whole herring 20 ft off bottom for lings. Maybe chinook are holding just off the coast??

See my previous posts for set ups and depths.

I heard someone on the dock saying the opening was all the way out to camel rock but that could just be a rumour. Even if that's the case hoiss should be beyond that and it was producing well.

We saw all the commercial boats lined up near Moucha resort. Interestingly, the first commercial boats were on the northwest side of the inlet near the resort.

Based on a recent read of the commercial openings on the DFO site, it appears a commercial fleet of 58 boats will be gill netting all the way out to camel rock.

The opening is August 12 from 2100-0600. This may be extended August 13 and 14 depending on the amount caught as per DFO.

We saw all the commercial boats lined up near Moucha resort. Interestingly, the first commercial boats were on the northwest side of the inlet near the resort.

Based on a recent read of the commercial openings on the DFO site, it appears a commercial fleet of 58 boats will be gill netting all the way out to camel rock.

The opening is August 12 from 2100-0600. This may be extended August 13 and 14 depending on the amount caught as per DFO.
Yes it looks like any fishing I was going to do inside is shot to hell maybe I can sneak outside @ Maquinna early before the wind starts-can't be too brave in a 17' boat.

Camel? Thats new. Pretty sure they were always well East of Camel in the past. Thats going to **** off some folks.....

Last edited:
Fished Esperanza, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday (i.e. today).

Sunday - fished Pin Rock, Low Rock, 6 Mile Reef and Rosa. Aside from 1/2 dozen small chinook (4-8 lbs), plus some coho and pinks at Pin Rock in the a.m. the other spots did not produce. Did see 1 caught at Rosa though in the afternoon. As mentioned in a prior post - inside Esperanza was slow. Guys going off-shore (Whales Tale) were catching their limit.

Monday and Tuesday - fished Cooptee. Was able to pick up 2 chinook both days (15-22 lbs) plus a couple < 6 lbs. Today, saw probably 3-4 fish caught at Cooptee. (There were a lot of boats out, so I imagine more were caught, but that is all what I saw).

Also fished slightly deeper than usual with the anchovies. Usually I am around 50-55' in the inside of Nootka, but this trip I was more like 60-70'.

Also had to use the seaquilizer for the first time........and it worked.

I haven’t fished Esperanza this year because the one mile offshore rule. In Nootka we can’t keep anything over 80cm offshore.

Is it not the same up North?

The 6 mile Reef should be outside the line?

Thanks for the clarification Tubber and I hope I am not reading it wrong. From what I see the area 1nm off shore was only to 80 until July 31 and then open to two chinook. It is Aug right???

Not sure if I'm missing another notice up there by FN 650 says the following:

Southern BC Recreational Fisheries:
---------------------------------------------------------------------
WCVI Subareas 20-1 and 20-2, and offshore Area 121, as well as Areas 123 to 127
seaward of a 1 nm Boundary Line.

00:01 hours July 15 to 23:59 hours July 31, 2019, 2 Chinook per day with a
maximum size of 80 cm.
00:01 hours August 1 to 23:59 hours December 31, 2019, 2 Chinook per day

The Boundary Line is approximately 1 NM seaward of the surfline, for full
definition of the Boundary Line please see the bottom of this fisheries notice.

I may be confused but from what I read it seems to be saying 2 Chinook PD after Aug 1 off shore. All the attached coloured maps seem to indicate the same. Am I missing something?

I also agree....After July 31st, the 80 cm max size limit that had been in place for offshore fishing went away. That was certainly the case in Nootka anyway....At Nootka you can now keep any Chinook salmon, min size 45 cm......no max size...2 per day.....I was wondering why I continually saw you fishing so tight to shore last week Mike....Good luck for the rest of your season over there.....John

This Fishery Notice is a reminder of recreational management actions for
Chinook salmon that came into effect at 00:01 hours on August 1, 2019 in most
South Coast marine waters (additional restrictions not listed here also apply
in some areas):
West Coast Vancouver Island (WCVI) - Areas 21 to 27, and offshore Areas 121,
123 to 127, and portions of Subareas 20-1 and 20-2 (excluding those waters
north of a line from Owen Point to the Port San Juan Light/Whistle Buoy, then
to Woods Nose):

- 00:01 hours August 1 to 23:59 hours December 31, 2019, 2 Chinook per day

This is FN 0744. You scared me codfather. From what I see it’s open offshore as of Aug 1. Please let me know if I am wrong.

FN 744 says;

This Fishery Notice is a reminder of recreational management actions for
Chinook salmon that came into effect at 00:01 hours on August 1, 2019 in most
South Coast marine waters (additional restrictions not listed here also apply
in some areas):
West Coast Vancouver Island (WCVI) - Areas 21 to 27, and offshore Areas 121,
123 to 127, and portions of Subareas 20-1 and 20-2 (excluding those waters
north of a line from Owen Point to the Port San Juan Light/Whistle Buoy, then
to Woods Nose):

- 00:01 hours August 1 to 23:59 hours December 31, 2019, 2 Chinook per day
- Please refer to FN0657 and FN0652 for further measures on fin-fish closures
and chinook non-retention areas in WCVI waters.

I'm not the expert, just reading what I see. Mike, if you say we cannot fish off the one mile line I believe you. I just don't see to clearly stated in the regs....I looked at 657 and 652, nothing material there

Double Tyee and Gord, thanks for the info.

I don’t get a lot of time on the web. What I read and see on the maps it’s OPEN as of Aug 1 for any Spring over 45cm offshore.

It’s to bad that when they close it it’s crystal clear but when they open it you have to be a Philadelphia lawyer to understand it.

Thanks,

Mike

Can someone else weigh in here. I want to be certain our assumptions are correct. And you're right Mike. The regs constantly refer you to other FN notices that refer you to other FN notices. They're making it hard to understand and I believe hard to enforce. Most people find them convoluted .....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back