Lowrance or Simrad sounder/ plotter what would you buy?

Islandgirl

I am looking to purchase a new one.
Any feedback or thoughts?
I know they are both made by lowrance, and depending on the salesperson which one they push?
I was thinking Chirp transducer but open to suggestions.

Just upgraded to all Garmin. Couldn't be happier. Its amazing stuff. All wireless and I can control everything from my iPhone or iPad and also plan routes on them at home and then transfer them to the chartplotter on board.
The chartplotter will replicate to the iPad. Even sounder and radar and its a fast as can be. You also get access to Active Captain on your mobile devices for planning purposes.
I would post a video of how it works but don't think you can do that on this forum

I absolutely loved my Simrad EVO3. Intuitive, simple and powerful. I've never been on a boat with a Garmin but I hear a lot of great things.

This is like the Ford vs Chevy topic (Dodge is best). I've had Lowrance,Simrad and now Garmin.Their all good,go with chirp though.

This is like the Ford vs Chevy topic (Dodge is best). I've had Lowrance,Simrad and now Garmin.Their all good,go with chirp though.
Had a entry level chartplotter/sounder - ok, then upgraded to a p66 transducer- night and day difference, upgraded again to a high quality chartplotter/sounder with all the bells and whistles- unbelievable. After all this upgrading I found that “chirp’’ is critical in target distinction. Things like downscan are more useful in shallower lakes, not for deep ocean trolling.

I'm not used Simrad. I have used Lowrance quite a bit - and more recently Garmin. I find Garmin not as user-friendly or as good wrt contours - but as good wrt hardware. Have to agree w Trophy - The CHIRP transducer (avail from both manufacturers) is pretty much a "must-have".

I have always used Lowrance products for sounder and GPS , excite to try the new Lowrance 9” Ti2 as soon as i can get it in the water.

Just upgraded to all Garmin. Couldn't be happier. Its amazing stuff. All wireless and I can control everything from my iPhone or iPad and also plan routes on them at home and then transfer them to the chartplotter on board.
The chartplotter will replicate to the iPad. Even sounder and radar and its a fast as can be. You also get access to Active Captain on your mobile devices for planning purposes.
I would post a video of how it works but don't think you can do that on this forum

All wireless sounds amazing, the wiring is the most difficult part of planning and installing

All wireless sounds amazing, the wiring is the most difficult part of planning and installing
It’s only wireless for communication between mobile devices. Still needs Garmin network Cable’s and NMEA 2000 if you have autopilot or separate GPS. NMEA 0183 for AIS. For my boat wiring was a ***** and the hardest part. The network cable ends are very big. Ended up cutting off 3 of them and then put new Cat 6 ends. All interior wiring is dry so did not need watertight connectors.

It’s only wireless for communication between mobile devices. Still needs Garmin network Cable’s and NMEA 2000 if you have autopilot or separate GPS. NMEA 0183 for AIS. For my boat wiring was a ***** and the hardest part. The network cable ends are very big. Ended up cutting off 3 of them and then put new Cat 6 ends. All interior wiring is dry so did not need watertight connectors.

Was kinda thinking that as I was typing, but this should be the future

Even though the interior wires should stay dry, I would advocate putting a bit of dielectric grease on any and all of these connections including the cat 6 ends. Also Garmin makes a split retrofit end to replace the permanent ones if you have to cut them off to get them run.

I like my Garmin with Chirp, and when I had to phone customer service for some minor question, they picked up on the third ring and I talked to someone reasonably local. I'm looking to upgrade to a new Garmin very soon. Does anyone ever use Sidescan in the Salt, fishing for Salmon?

Thanks for the input. I will go with chirp transducer for sure and a new lowrance live. I was very impressed with the lowrance charts.

Back