Five Nations Multi-species Fishery Management Plan 2019/20 - Salmon, Groundfish, Crab and Pra

Chasin' Dreams

Category(s):
ABORIGINAL - General Information,
COMMERCIAL - General Information,
COMMERCIAL - Groundfish: Halibut,
COMMERCIAL - Groundfish: Rockfish Hook and Line,
COMMERCIAL - Groundfish: Other Hook and Line,
COMMERCIAL - Invertebrates: Crab,
COMMERCIAL - Invertebrates: Prawn and Shrimp by Trap,
COMMERCIAL - Salmon: Gill Net,
COMMERCIAL - Salmon: Seine,
COMMERCIAL - Salmon: Troll,
RECREATIONAL - General Information,
RECREATIONAL - Salmon

Fishery Notice - Fisheries and Oceans Canada

Subject: FN0580-Five Nations Multi-species Fishery Management Plan 2019/20 - Salmon, Groundfish, Crab and Prawn - Southern BC

The Five Nations Multi-species Fishery Management Plan (FMP) 2019/20 for
Salmon, Groundfish, Crab and Prawn for Southern BC has been released.

The FMP outlines the fishing opportunities that DFO is providing the Five Nuu-
chah-nulth First Nations located on the West Coast of Vancouver Island
(Ahousaht, Ehattesaht, Hesquiaht, Mowachaht/Muchalaht and Tla-o-qui-aht) in
2019/20 to exercise their rights to harvest and sell salmon, groundfish, crab
and prawn within the Court Defined Area.

The FMP includes specific details about the fishery, such as allocation/access,
licensing and designations, fishing area, harvesting opportunities, and fishery
monitoring and catch reporting.

In-season changes or announcements of specific fishery management measures
including openings, closures and other relevant information will be provided by
Fishery Notices. You can sign up to receive notices by e-mail or review
Fishery Notices at:

http://notices.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fns-sap/index-eng.cfm

Copies of the FMP may be obtained online at the link below or by contacting
Andrea Goruk, Resource Management Coordinator at Andrea.Goruk@dfo-mpo.gc.ca
or 250-756-7287.

FMP: https://waves-vagues.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/Library/4079393x.pdf

Fisheries and Oceans Canada Operations Center - FN0580
Sent June 26, 2019 at 16:13
Visit us on the Web at http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca

I have move past the anger stage and now just in the acceptance stage.

Good for them

Tho I will say one thing this provides a frame work for future allocation negotiations.

Bend over its coming

I think it’s time to get out of fishing and maybe get into flying airplanes or something. The first immigrants will probably take a few more years before they lay claim to the air too.

I'll say it one more time the Supreme Court of Canada have ruled that natives can fish and hunt anywhere any time and can LEGALLY sell the fish.
It doesn't matter which party is in power so forget about that. That is the law and it can NEVER BE CHANGED.
If they want to net a river to extinction the courts have given them the power to do it. Fish first is long gone. Very sad.

Well I doubt if conservation challenges are specific to only 1 fishery or only 1 sector, Nog

I'll say it one more time the Supreme Court of Canada have ruled that natives can fish and hunt anywhere any time and can LEGALLY sell the fish.
It doesn't matter which party is in power so forget about that. That is the law and it can NEVER BE CHANGED.
If they want to net a river to extinction the courts have given them the power to do it. Fish first is long gone. Very sad.
I guess you misunderstood how democracy in theory works.
The Supreme Court isn't God. It is a court. A court judges based on laws. It doesn't make the laws. The laws are made by the parliament represented through elected politicians.
So long story short. It is on us to vote those politicians that are willing to represent us truly. They could change the laws or the constitution of Canada the supreme court would be bound to. Things can be changed!
But I honestly believe there is some kind of disconnect between the intentions of the existing laws/constitution, the ruling of the supreme court and what is actually happening. And this is called politics. And this is screwing us.
Example: As far as I understood FN have a right to fish and hunt. Our interpretation might be that they can e.g. fish whatever they want, as much they want or whenever they want. But that is just an interpretation. I don't think there is a law or court ruling saying so. The right to fish and hunt could instead simply mean FN don't have to pay a fee for a fishing/hunting license but are still bound to all the conservation measures like everyone else. I think both interpretations could be valid given the current laws/court rulings we have. I think it is the politics that got us where we are right now.

Last edited:
I agree that a vote in parliament could change the court decision. That just doesn't happen often does it.
My biggest concern is the sale of first nations fish. Right now they have the market all to themselves. Salmon right now is 40.00 a pound in Seattle. What is going to stop this netting insanity when there is no laws to protect our fish from being exploited and it will happen.

good post Fishook. I think you are right-on about people's assertions, assumptions and misunderstandings.

The rights wrt FN access to aquatic resources (in this case) stem from:
1/ s.35 of the Constitution Act (1982) (the Act that other Acts generate their authority from)
2/ Other Treaties and Acts where they exist,
3/ the Honour of the Crown wrt intent when negotiating Treaties and other agreements w FN,
4/ Case law ruling in detail on the above.

Case Law is actually quite specific about the duties required on both sides wrt actions/negotiations/consultation, and wrt the details of the past laws/Acts and the necessary steps, and checks and balances that need to be wrt the details of FN right to access and assertions of Traditional Territory.

Although often tedious reading (due to the legal language - esp. after a big lunch) case law is available online at: https://www.canlii.org/en/

It's worth punching in key words - sorting for the most relevant & recent court decisions - and reading the logic the judge uses in deliberating.

I believe the real reason things are so screwed-up is because of the lack of actual democracy or a real consensus-based governance model instead of corruption/greed facilitated by a combination of the party and capitalist systems.

I have come to the conclusion that dfo realizes they haven’t got the authority to either properly allocate fish stocks or to save them. I think the biggest problem is our Government. They have had ample time to come up with policy-based solutions and then properly articulate them to the public letting us know both the recreational fishermen and the business owner what the plan is for the next 5 to 10 years with respect to fisheries management. you can’t run businesses checking the openings and the closures on the DFO website to see if you need to order product or if your customers can book charters . Can I or can’t I? Maybe? Possibly? That’s completely unfair and unprofessional. It’s a recipe for lost jobs and bankruptcy! Maybe it is bad news but give us the opportunity to plan it’s almost like the Liberals don’t want to articulate the plan because they don’t want bad news out there costing them votes but I won’t vote Liberal if they continue to keep us in the dark. what’s the plan ? explain to me how you’re going to save our fishery! Is it a hatchery based fishery? Is it complete closure for the next five years ? Does the government know what the answer is ? ? Incompetence is also a reason to lose an election we don’t have to just dislike your plan we can vote you out if we don’t get a plan !

Doesn't matter what party gets in - the Conservatives under Harper were even worse than Justin Beber (AKA Mr. SNC Lavalin) in throwing us all under the bus esp incl. the fish. They seem to have us all brainwashed that politics is instead a "sport" that only happens ev. 4 years - we are supposed to pick a side (aka party) and the winner takes all. That's not democracy, nor good governance.

I have come to the conclusion that dfo realizes they haven’t got the authority to either properly allocate fish stocks or to save them. I think the biggest problem is our Government. They have had ample time to come up with policy-based solutions and then properly articulate them to the public letting us know both the recreational fishermen and the business owner what the plan is for the next 5 to 10 years with respect to fisheries management. you can’t run businesses checking the openings and the closures on the DFO website to see if you need to order product or if your customers can book charters . Can I or can’t I? Maybe? Possibly? That’s completely unfair and unprofessional. It’s a recipe for lost jobs and bankruptcy! Maybe it is bad news but give us the opportunity to plan it’s almost like the Liberals don’t want to articulate the plan because they don’t want bad news out there costing them votes but I won’t vote Liberal if they continue to keep us in the dark. what’s the plan ? explain to me how you’re going to save our fishery! Is it a hatchery based fishery? Is it complete closure for the next five years ? Does the government know what the answer is ? ? Incompetence is also a reason to lose an election we don’t have to just dislike your plan we can vote you out if we don’t get a plan !
I agree totally you must start with having a plan and then articulate what the plan is.

Remember at the end of the day the big DFO created all these messes!

LOL the thread headed for the dark path again. As said before this is a hopeless fight we can't solve. Future of fishing on BC will involve FN a lot more, so we better look at a path with working with them.

I always love Louis CK analogy on the Indian word since when we get mad we start bring it up. Makes me laugh every time and so true. I mean we wonder why they don't want to work with us sometimes....

BTW I am not 100 percent with agreement with the way DFO handled this. I don't like the idea of taking away things, and just shifting resource around to make a big band aid.

If DFO had stopped making graphs/studies each year and actually hopped on Fraser years ago this mess wouldn't have happened. We need more fish bottom line if this is new direction we are taking.

It is frustrating!!

Back