Used motors, how many hours is too many

fish brain

Crew Member
So I am searching for a new motor for my boat. I see a few used four stroke motors that are a few years old, but they have almost 1000 hours. It seems like quite a lot. Would I just be buying more problems?

I wouldn't go for anything that old. If it was your engine and running fine it's different a person would keep it but I wouldn't buy an engine that old. Reason being in 2 or 3 years you'll be doing it again. If you want to buy used personally I wouldn't look at anything over 600 preferably 500 or less. But that's just me I'm sure others may think different.

get a engine read out first. Trolling hours are easy on a engine , the revs do make a big difference. A two stroke operated near wot will become unreliable after 1000. Most four strokes will become unreliable after 2000. Obviously a huge amount of factors to take in , eg number of overheats , impact , etc. but a readout will tell you the full story.

beemer

200 hours a year is not uncommon
without issues...newer motors as with
cars and trucks benefit greatly from
the latest technologies and the lack
of breakdowns and rustbuckets are
a testament to this...

Agree, along with the maintenance and engine readout, keep in mind the type of boat (weight, hull style and what it is used for), along with the area it came from. I had a set of F90hp Yami’s, used on the open water, that had 3600 hrs in them, and I considered the boat underpowered when I got it, going to put 150’s Mercs on next.

aside from gleaning acurate maintenance
info...most importantly. ..check for
even compression. .as close to factory
as possible. ...and if youcan find out
where it was bought and serviced
even better. talk to the sevice provider
for an unbiased opinion. .

I got my 2008 Yamaha 90 with 67 hours on it! I had an overheat early. It will be my one and only overheating, because the previous owner had never changed the impeller. I have since given it the full tuneup and changed all fluids so it can be maintained properly from now on.
I would really look at the living conditions of the person you’re buying it from. Is his lawn mowed? is his car rusty? etc. Gives you an idea of how well he would’ve taken care of the motor. I’d have rather picked up the same motor with 400 hours from somebody who I knew looked after it.

Last edited:
I can get the printout of hours and usage. Allegedly the oil was changed every hundred hours, so it should be well maintained. A brand new one is about double the cost.
So I should have peace of mind if I break the bank and go new, or roll the dice and buy used.
Then if I decide to go new, go four stroke or two?
So many choices

I'm usually a used buyer for most things if I can. But when it comes to outboards I will always go new. You take the unknown out of the equation. Other plus is warranty, I got six years on my new Suzuki and excellent after market service. You can save some money on maintenance if your able. Knowing exactly what has happened to your motor is huge piece of mind.

Not always a huge concern sometimes, but you just never know why some people are selling their outboards. What’s wrong with them and what aren’t they telling you. If it’s a great deal, like 75% new price then maybe, but 1/2 off maybe not for me.

Oly

bought my 08 Yammies with 2000 hrs on them. now are close to 2500 and still running like a top. If you are outboard savvy and do your own maintenance and repairs a well maintained motor(will be evident with a good visual inspection) can last you years. The trade off is the inevitable parts that will require replacement. It would be important to factor in the costs of a moderate overhaul to the asking price of a motor and see if it still fits your budget. I did an engine rebuild (valve stems, pistons, engine seals, etc) and including the purchase price paid less than half of the price of new.

Things I looked for or at when surveying the motor:
Corrosion around the bolts,particularly the water jacket and leg.
Paint bubbles or white chalky buildup on the exterior finish and along the bonding wires
Discoloration of the engine housing,water jacket and/or electrical wiring
Condition of the sealant squirting out between engine components.

There are many other items to consider,such as the condition of the oil and zincs that will also indicate the amount of time someone has spent maintaining their outboard, but if the engine shows corrosion and signs of discoloration, you will be getting into more than you bargained for.

I would love nothing more than to hang a shiny new E-tec off the back of my boat, but there is no way I could justify the expense.That being said,, I am very pleased with the Yamahas and will probably run them until their last days. Read a post somewhere about the same engines pushing 7,500 hours on a boat in Florida. I doubt I will see close to that but here's hoping!

I would be more worried about a motor that has been sitting than hours. Motors that run regularly and see proper maintenance are the ones you get 3000+ hours out of. Motors that run 5 hours a year are the ones that turn into lemons.

I would be more worried about a motor that has been sitting than hours. Motors that run regularly and see proper maintenance are the ones you get 3000+ hours out of. Motors that run 5 hours a year are the ones that turn into lemons.

Bingo. Boats that sit are full of issues. They need t0 be run year round.

I agree with the sitting motors comments. For example my kicker starter started sticking last year due to lack of use because I didn't use the kicker for a couple months (was still using the main but didn't salmon fish in the off season). Told myself I need to fish more! Solved the problem. Use your stuff and use it often!

I'm thinking I am going to replace the reed valves in the old girl for now, with an eye to rebuilding her in the off season. It's a 96 150 Mercury Offshore. My cousins husband has a fleet of these for his seafood harvesting business. He claims they are solid motors that will outlast me after a rebuild.
I guess we will see.

I do my own work to my 25 2stroke 84 merc tiller 14' tinny .and ran the thing so far this year 500 hrs .last year to date was simular .and at 30$ a can of fuel/oil for 10hrs we catch fish .I will be replacing my pullcord,plugs,fuel filter,clean contacts of plugwires,and add fluid film to coat ,drop the leg to make sure the bolts are free, this year again, and might need to find a white fuel line/prime bulb to keep the fuel from becoming to hot in the sun.

I got my 2008 Yamaha 90 with 67 hours on it! I had an overheat early. It will be my one and only overheating, because the previous owner had never changed the impeller. I have since given it the full tuneup and changed all fluids so it can be maintained properly from now on.
I would really look at the living conditions of the person you’re buying it from. Is his lawn mowed? is his car rusty? etc. Gives you an idea of how well he would’ve taken care of the motor. I’d have rather picked up the same motor with 400 hours from somebody who I knew looked after it.

If his lawns mowed and his cars rusty it’s because he likely spends all his time and doe on the boat! Haha

Back