Impeller Change Frequency?

You'll find many differing opinions but,
as long as it's pumping water fine, I think you're ok to leave it.
I had a 1999 Honda that ran fine and had only one impeller change in it's life.
I agree it's good to check it periodically.

Hey I respectfully don't agree with this.

My raw water impeller gets changed every season whether it needs it or not. I simply don't want to wait for it to stop working.

I have a newer 9.9 Yamaha (2016) that runs well and has been peeing fine until last week. On the flush at home, with minimal water pressure, the flow is fine. However, running on the water, the stream is slight. Tubes leading to the telltale are clear and not crimped. Likely an impeller issue. Looked at many Youtube vids - seems straight forward. Any cautions that I may not know ie in gear/neutral/reverse, preferred marine grease for splines, etc?

Thanks in advance.

And don't fire up your engine with the muffs on when it's below freezing. I learned that the hard way. I fired up in the driveway before a winter spring fishing outing. The impeller disintegrated. Probably was time to change it anyway. ;-)

I have found with the impeller on my Yami 9.9 and I suspect most small outboards is that they are smaller and not as robust as the impellers on the big motors. If you have cleaned out the pee hole with a flex wire and perhaps run some saltaway through it, changing it after 3 years may be a good idea. I have noticed that what damages the Yami 9.9 impellers in no time, is running them without cooling water. They can last for years, but run the motor dry even once for a short time and the impeller may be damaged. The rubber rotary vains bend over or wear on the ends and don't push as much water. It is easier to do than one would think, especially with a full remote model and a brain fart moment.

The T-stat can also get salted up or fail with time and not open and close correctly or reliably and you may want to have a look at it, if it is still original.

Last edited:
my 2004 is straight forward. i use dish soap on the splines for some lube. i dont think you would want to put grease on the splines.

Changed impellers last season on twin etecs, very light sign of wear after 250 hrs. Replaced both since I already had it apart and kept the replaced parts for a spare if ever needed. May take a couple hours to do the job in a not very good location but at least save the trip.

Back