• Thread starter Deleted member 8461
  • Start date
I actually agree somewhat with rum buddies about the risk of backfire. I think it would be more important to focus on general boat traffic being totally legal so making it a 'refuge' while still allowing boats is pointless, but if you focus on DFO's point that they extended it to preserve the salmon and fake troll etc, the discussion may come up that we are just intercepting the fish to the east. That could open a dangerous can of worms. I'd almost leave the fishing part out of it, have a shotgun type start and all the boats just full throttle through the area (at least safe planing) from one point to the other...stop, reset, continue. It would be kind of amusing though if we assigned a couple people each day to troll in the no fishing area hookless, to essentially waste their time and resources chasing you around to find you aren't doing anything illegal. Imagine that for the whole month of August.

At this point I have seen nothing about this anywhere but here.

Rumor Mill tells me this is planned from 6-noon at Sheringham?

I don't think you will get much guide support during these hours as they will be working.
Also don't think you will get a lot of Rec Angler Support at Sheringham as it is too far for some boats and others won't want to spend the time and gas.
6 hours is too long and 6 am is too early.

If it were at Otter Point from noon to 2:00. I'd be in.
Could fish first then support.
Otter is way more visible and accessible.

All info is by rumor and word of mouth. Hopefully someone can correct me.

My 2 cents.

In the north on Haida Gwaii they want to shut down all the fishing from Langara to Rose Spit so Orcas have food... I'm a councillor for the Village of Masset as well as a Charter operator, Masset Fishing Adventures... In a press represented meeting I said that's it's not only food that according to the environmentalist that's a problem but it's also ship traffic and water quality. So if they want to destroy my living perhaps they should also consider shutting down the Ports of Vancouver and Prince Rupert as well as shut off the sewage system in Victoria that are still dumping raw sewage in the ocean... it's easy to target the rural and low populated areas so the urban crowd can have an un-educated feel good moment. If my business gets shut down for a year I will never recover and I'm to old to start again. For those that say Orcas only eat Chinook , BS they seem to like eating Coho off my line...

In the north on Haida Gwaii they want to shut down all the fishing from Langara to Rose Spit so Orcas have food... I'm a councillor for the Village of Masset as well as a Charter operator, Masset Fishing Adventures... In a press represented meeting I said that's it's not only food that according to the environmentalist that's a problem but it's also ship traffic and water quality. So if they want to destroy my living perhaps they should also consider shutting down the Ports of Vancouver and Prince Rupert as well as shut off the sewage system in Victoria that are still dumping raw sewage in the ocean... it's easy to target the rural and low populated areas so the urban crowd can have an un-educated feel good moment. If my business gets shut down for a year I will never recover and I'm to old to start again. For those that say Orcas only eat Chinook , BS they seem to like eating Coho off my line...
You have to wonder about Orcas only eating Springs, it seems overly specialized for an animal that size. I heard this revelation came from collecting whale scat? Is it possible that the Springs just happened to be the most abundant salmon in the area at the time of the collection, therefore they made up the majority of the menu? If the samples were taken in the summer, near the urban areas as I suspect they were, I think there is a good chance the data is skewed. Be interesting to hear the experts opinion as opposed to the touting of one study.

Yikes!!! Is this the Haida Nation or the Feds who have this proposal?

Unreal. The orcas up there are in great shape, i never knew food was concern? They eat seals and there is plenty of them up there.

I wonder what the real reason is behind such a proposal...

Political B.S. to appease the masses and make them believe the gov't is doing something positive for the whales.

The more important thing though is your talking about Northern whale territory which isn't a concern that is the key. THINK PIPELINE. Once you fill in the blanks it becomes very apparent what is going on. Why do you think the majority of funding/donations from the save the whale campaign is funneling from the US? Why do you think you are seeing our issue front and center on the NY times of all places? You think that is a coincidence? Rest assured this has everything to do with the pipeline, and was never about whales. Think bigger, and what the government strategically needs to do to be re-elected. The pipeline will go in but before it does Trudeau will make every attempt to plead with the NGO groups that they are doing everything to help the whales before the pipeline goes in.

And one last thing what other group must he appease specifically before he can move pipeline through? Strategically if you were to give more of the rec sector fish to these groups would they back the pipeline proposal and no longer threaten a legal battle?

Hmmm.

The more important thing though is your talking about Northern whale territory which isn't a concern that is the key. THINK PIPELINE. Once you fill in the blanks it becomes very apparent what is going on. Why do you think the majority of funding/donations from the save the whale campaign is funneling from the US? Why do you think you are seeing our issue front and center on the NY times of all places? You think that is a coincidence? Rest assured this has everything to do with the pipeline, and was never about whales. Think bigger, and what the government strategically needs to do to be re-elected. The pipeline will go in but before it does Trudeau will make every attempt to plead with the NGO groups that they are doing everything to help the whales before the pipeline goes in.

And one last thing what other group must he appease specifically before he can move pipeline through? Strategically if you were to give more of the rec sector fish to these groups would they back the pipeline proposal and no longer threaten a legal battle?

Hmmm.
BINGO!

Hmmm.

Yep....the pipeline
We wouldn’t be even chatting about this if it weren’t for the pipeline

Hmmm.

I was thinking along those lines myself. Never thought of the pipeline but it makes sense to me....

Please consider that a large fleet of boats in a closed area has significant potential for negative perception by the public. The bigger the fleet the more it may be seen as many fishers taking too many fish if it was open again and actually gain public support for the DFO closure. A media strategy and spokesperson is critical.

Please consider that a large fleet of boats in a closed area has significant potential for negative perception by the public. The bigger the fleet the more it may be seen as many fishers taking too many fish if it was open again and actually gain public support for the DFO closure. A media strategy and spokesperson is critical.

Yes and no. What you want is to have an event that will start a conversation with the public that do not know fishing but know you are a fisherman.
You are never going to change the minds of the ENGO activists, you don't pay them for their activism.

If this event does get coverage, and I hope it does, post a link to your social media and educate the people in your sphere about why the boats are out.

Once user group can't fish at all, one user group is asked nicely not to fish near whales in the areas. I thought whale conservation and chinook conservation was a concern?????

https://notices.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fns-sap/index-eng.cfm?pg=view_notice&DOC_ID=210965&ID=all

"For 2018, the Department has implemented additional management measures to
increase Chinook Salmon prey availability for Southern Resident Killer Whales
in the Strait of Juan de Fuca (Subareas 20-3, 20-4, and a portion of 20-5 west
of Otter Point), Gulf Islands (Subareas 18-2, 18-4, 18-5, and 18-9), and the
mouth of the Fraser River (Subareas 29-6, 29-7, 29-9, and 29-10). First Nations
are requested to avoid fishing in the vicinity of Killer Whales when they are
present in these areas."

I guess that what the BCWF is trying to say in this letter

"We observe a common theme in the negotiations provincially is the desire by First Nations to have control over and or manage fish and wildlife populations. It appears your negotiators are all too keen to hand this over to gain agreements at a variety of levels. These actions, in turn, have resulted in First Nations demanding the cessation of hunting by resident hunters, especially in the Cariboo region.

There are also similar examples in fisheries.

The BCWF is concerned your senior staffs do not consider non-Indigenous interests in fish and wildlife important and leave it to your field staff to consult with us after the fact. Government is making decisions on the access to the landscape and wildlife populations in isolation of our interests in the absence of clear and consistent policy direction. Often the focus is on securing improved access and allocation of fish and wildlife for First Nations and not the long-term sustainability of the resource."

The BCWF proposes that guidelines be provided to your senior staff that any agreements relative to fish and wildlife must include principles for allocation between First Nations and the general public. That is, after FSC there will be a guarantee of fish and wildlife for use by residents of BC assuming of course that there is no conservation concern. We are aware that FSC requirements have significantly increased from a decade ago and believe that the factors limiting abundance should be addressed. The need for agreements across the landscape between Indigenous and non-Indigenous communities will be necessary at some point if residents are to have reasonable access to fish and wildlife.

http://www.bcwf.net/images/M_images/2018-July/LtrToMinisters.pdf

Last edited:
I was thinking along those lines myself. Never thought of the pipeline but it makes sense to me....

Yep. I am glad you noticed it. It's way bigger than just forage zone closures. Pay attention also closely to the timing of everything and it makes more sense.

The timing of this protest is problematic with the much publicized death of the baby killer whale, just saying...

Back