Action Required - Potential Fin FIsh Closure from Long Beach to Swiftsure for SRKW

Just to clarify something spring,, not once did I bring up the oil sands,, you did, do not put words in my mouth. My statement was more general and included all economic issues facing our provinces.
Not wanting to bring politics into this topic is ludicrous, it's the politicians that are making these rules and allowing them to happen, they are the cause.

Just so you all know, my scathing letter was sent in yesterday afternoon. I do care what happens, to all of Canada and it's my goal to see all of Canada prosper and do well, when one region does well we all do well and I've stated that on here many times. Personely I'm more concerned with your local economies that this closure will effect than I am about my ability to go out there and fish. Even though many out there don't deserve any support from us out here, we will take the higher road and give you support. I am passing this link on to my family and friends that spend time out there and they will help out as well.

Yes, @walleyes, these decisions are politically based and everyone in the fishing community knows that. Where the political BS part comes in and derails the thread is when we start talking about "should vote Green" or "you guys" are getting what you deserve because of the political party in power etc. These types of statements do nothing but start debates that are fruitless and take away from the focus of the thread. None of us on here know who someone else supports politically and neither am I interested in knowing. Frankly, political parties of all stripes have been dropping the ball on the Salmon and fisheries portfolio for years but there isn't anything that can be done about what has happened, so let's focus on what we can do to force change moving forward. Forcing change by getting individual politicians attention will be important, as we move toward the next election, IF we can create enough of a voice via sheer numbers to make them pay attention. This letter writing campaign is a small part, but is necessary to show we are paying attention and to show they can expect large numbers of us to show up, in whatever form that takes, on this issue on a regular basis from now on.
I am happy to hear you sent your letter and are helping to spread the word to your friends. It was always the "prairie way" to reach out and help your neighbour in a time of need. I grew up there and I would like to think all of us still have it in us to do what's right and just when necessary. Bad or inept policy is wrong, no matter who introduces it and then forces it upon our society.

I think many of you know me here. I split my time between whale watching and fishing, and have done so for many years. I just want to offer that we seldom see orca here. As one who actively seeks out whales, I am lucky to spot them less than once a month. Also when they are seen, probably 98% of the time they are T pod, or Biggs Transients. I believe I have seen the SRKW here twice. I have never seen NRKWs. (the SRKW did pass through here about five miles offshore last week, but all reports were of travelling). I am finding it difficult to believe that our area is being deemed a critical habitat for the NRKWs and SRKWs. I would personally, like to see more science and data collection before such a closure takes effect. I believe there may be better strategies, such as salmon enhancement and habitat restoration, as well as studying the predation at the river mouths etc. that offer viable solutions to the 'food source' problem. I am no expert, this is just my observations and opinion.

There was a flurry of Federal Liberal seats won in BC this past election. Here's the link to them: https://www.liberal.ca/mp/
Contact any and all of your friends and family who live in these areas in BC to contact these MP's and threaten to never vote Liberal again if this idea goes through.

Contact friends and family who have enjoyed fish that you have shared with them and tell them to do the same in the rest of the country.

Giving feedback to DFO in the provided link we all received is great but ultimately votes matter.

Do the questionnaire and write your MP. Call them too. DFO is Federal Government not provincial.
It never hurts to contact your MLA and in fact I recommend you do it in conjunction with your MP. A lot of the economic impact is local and better understood by the local MLA( never hurts to name the actual local businesses you support) Federally BC has very little power at the Cabinet table for reasons I’m sure we can all figure out and there’s no need to get further into. If you think Provincial politicians can’t make a difference look at the current Alberta/BC squabble,agree or disagree, they have made life miserable for the Feds.

Many members here have talked about the impact of seals and sea lions on salmon population. This article does a great job of showing just how big an impact seals have. The article show how harbor seal population has grown from 10,000 to 105,000 and estimates they eat 3.1 million salmon fry a year. Removing seals from river areas had varying results, with salmon catches increasing from less than 1 per cent to more than 33 per cent.

Link: Seals, sea lions devastating West Coast salmon runs
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/new...tating-west-coast-salmon-runs/article4352730/

I have been very disappointed at the lack of media attention this has gotten, given the economic impact these closures will have and are having. I did find this article which is a good read. But still nobody is talking about the actual economic impact here of these closures, numbers matter.

Controversy sparked over chinook salmon closures

Fishery closure would be devastating
In an attempt to stabilize the populations of the southern and northern killer whales, the federal Department of Fisheries and Oceans is requesting feedback on its draft proposal to permanently close the Swiftsure and Laparuse banks for recreational and commercial fishing.

This closure would devastate the coastal communities of Port Renfrew, Bamfield, Port Alberni, Ucluelet and Tofino and every recreational and commercial fisherman who earns their livelihood or enjoys their recreational pastime in what is considered one of the greatest accessible salmon and halibut fishing grounds in North America.

No one argues that we must make major changes to increase the chinook stocks, but solely focusing on fishermen is not going achieve the goal. There must be a balanced approach of increasing the stock with an increased commitment to habitat restoration and salmon-enhancement and at the same time a reduction of predators. Predators, in my view, would include open-net salmon farms, and seals and sea lions feeding in river estuaries. DFO’s targeting of the fishermen alone is simply shortsighted and wrong.

I sincerely hope that our coastal municipal mayors, councils and fishermen will visit the link below before July 14 and express their views. I also encourage our members of Parliament to leave the long grass and stand up for our fisheries.

Mike Hicks

Regional director

Juan de Fuca Electoral Area

© Copyright Times Colonist

That’s perfectly said article, however it’s going to take money and lawyers to fight this , squeaky wheel responses I feel will get shelved and they will RAM this down our throats, my earlier post about everyone (responsibility)pitching in needs to be considered some how, we all have to fight this in courts, somehow we need to get sports fisherman unified to financially fight this. Only thing that will stop this process is a court

Letters sent to Gord Johns, Scott Fraser and Ronna-Rae Leonard.

Fishery closure would be devastating
In an attempt to stabilize the populations of the southern and northern killer whales, the federal Department of Fisheries and Oceans is requesting feedback on its draft proposal to permanently close the Swiftsure and Laparuse banks for recreational and commercial fishing.

This closure would devastate the coastal communities of Port Renfrew, Bamfield, Port Alberni, Ucluelet and Tofino and every recreational and commercial fisherman who earns their livelihood or enjoys their recreational pastime in what is considered one of the greatest accessible salmon and halibut fishing grounds in North America.

No one argues that we must make major changes to increase the chinook stocks, but solely focusing on fishermen is not going achieve the goal. There must be a balanced approach of increasing the stock with an increased commitment to habitat restoration and salmon-enhancement and at the same time a reduction of predators. Predators, in my view, would include open-net salmon farms, and seals and sea lions feeding in river estuaries. DFO’s targeting of the fishermen alone is simply shortsighted and wrong.

I sincerely hope that our coastal municipal mayors, councils and fishermen will visit the link below before July 14 and express their views. I also encourage our members of Parliament to leave the long grass and stand up for our fisheries.

Mike Hicks

Regional director

Juan de Fuca Electoral Area

© Copyright Times Colonist

Seriously, how many fish cops do they have to police something like this?

Dunno why some of you are blaming the greenies for this, most of the environmentists I know are also avid fishermen and have been screaming about the real reasons for years. It's just the liberals era DFO trying to look like they are doing something while ignoring the actual solutions (reducing industry/pollution on salmon habitat, reducing tanker traffic, not building pipelines, reducing toxin buildup in orcas) because that actually would take political will and would **** off industry groups.

DFO is pathetic.

I think many of you know me here. I split my time between whale watching and fishing, and have done so for many years. I just want to offer that we seldom see orca here. As one who actively seeks out whales, I am lucky to spot them less than once a month. Also when they are seen, probably 98% of the time they are T pod, or Biggs Transients. I believe I have seen the SRKW here twice. I have never seen NRKWs. (the SRKW did pass through here about five miles offshore last week, but all reports were of travelling). I am finding it difficult to believe that our area is being deemed a critical habitat for the NRKWs and SRKWs. I would personally, like to see more science and data collection before such a closure takes effect. I believe there may be better strategies, such as salmon enhancement and habitat restoration, as well as studying the predation at the river mouths etc. that offer viable solutions to the 'food source' problem. I am no expert, this is just my observations and opinion.
When I submitted my online response, I used anecdotal reporting based on 40+ years of regular visits to the are. I feel that anecdotals are important and really found yours helpful. Thank you for sharing.

Dunno why some of you are blaming the greenies for this, most of the environmentists I know are also avid fishermen and have been screaming about the real reasons for years. It's just the liberals era DFO trying to look like they are doing something while ignoring the actual solutions (reducing industry/pollution on salmon habitat, reducing tanker traffic, not building pipelines, reducing toxin buildup in orcas) because that actually would take political will and would **** off industry groups.

DFO is pathetic.

Come on man. I see where your coming from, but, and I don’t mean to be rude, I think it’s coming from a place of naivitity.

What’s the limit on killer whales ?let’s cut plug a salmon,limit out and be done with this **** !!! Lolol ****** feds all have thier heads up there’s asses. I wonder how much tax a whale pays in a year? I guess it’s more than all of ukee,bamfield and Port Alberni, Port tenfrew,sooke victoria all put together what a joke !!!!

Attachments

• 20180704_184419.jpg
    20180704_184419.jpg
    468.3 KB · Views: 54
Back