IMPORTANT NOTE FROM SFI-BC & SVIAC Re: FISHING REGS

Last edited:
I can speak to the fact that Randell is supporting the recreational fishery and the efforts of the SVIAC net pen. He has been a big supporter right from the beginning.

Is this closure from East Point on the Southern Point of Saturna Island or East Point on the Southern tip of Renfrew harbor?

It's spelled out clearly in the document.
you can also check the proposed map which shows " the closure in question"
to be on the Juan de fuca.

Sent Off the Email....now let's see what going to happen "NOW"

DFO is acting on the Liberal gov't bent on saving whales by restricting fishing.
It is the cheapest and easiest fix for them.
The wheels are in motion now and it would take a miracle to make them
change their plan.

it would be east point Renfrew

That being the case, it's exactly what was discussed months ago and is nothing new .
We knew it was coming along with other similar closures off Sidney.
If we find out it's from East Pt on Saturna it is a big deal!

That being the case, it's exactly what was discussed months ago and is nothing new .
We knew it was coming along with other similar closures off Sidney.
If we find out it's from East Pt on Saturna it is a big deal!
No its not - it was planned to be east to Sheringham - HUGE difference - they snuck in Otter Point which I'm sure means the key fishing grounds at Otter are included - 2nd rock/3rd etc. That means you now have 70-100 more boats fishing east of that - will be a gong show for trap/beechy/secretary.

It's the point that this was never discussed - they consulted, but just threw it out and did what they wanted and that is dangerous precedent.

yep...you are right..my memory failed me again.
Hard to believe they will do that.
I guess we will know in a couple of days if all the letters, calls and emails will make a difference.

I'm glad the forum is finally raising awareness on this issue, but the feedback period ended over a month ago (afaik). I already put together a petition here on Salt Spring Island that about 50 anglers signed and sent it off to the DFO. The SFAB has had several meetings already around the closures---unless this is something new?

I'm glad the forum is finally raising awareness on this issue, but the feedback people ended over a month ago (afaik). I already put together a petition here on Salt Spring Island that about 50 anglers signed and sent it off to the DFO. The SFAB has had several meetings already around the closures---unless this is something new?

I think the only thing new is they are closing more of the jdf although I don’t see what areas.

If you're looking for maps of the areas proposed to be closed, you can find it the PDF, but I've extracted it here too and attacted.

Attachments

• srkw_closure_areas.jpg
    srkw_closure_areas.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 215
Back