Anchoring in a small boat for hali?

N2013

With a proper anchor setup that allows one to get off an anchor quickly, does anyone anchor up in a small boat to fish for halibut on the south island? I fish out of a 16' crestliner sportsman, pushed by a 30 HP. I'm able to pick and choose my days so only nice weather days with slow tides. I don't plan on hanging around when it starts getting chopping either. Anyone have an experience with this?

Lots of guys do it. With the proper set-up and knowing what your doing it is safe. Anchoring is something not to be taken lightly. The 30hp might be a problem if your hooked up good.

With a proper anchor setup that allows one to get off an anchor quickly, does anyone anchor up in a small boat to fish for halibut on the south island? I fish out of a 16' crestliner sportsman, pushed by a 30 HP. I'm able to pick and choose my days so only nice weather days with slow tides. I don't plan on hanging around when it starts getting chopping either. Anyone have an experience with this?

Yes, you can anchor for halibut in a 16' boat with the proper equipment.....BUT
Choppy water is not your biggest problem. What you need to be MOST careful about is you don't hang on anchor too long and let the tide get above 1/2 a knot and increasing.
It comes in hard and fast on some tides in some locations.
Your next problem is you have no experience.
JUST DON'T TRY IT until you have gone out with an experienced halibut anchor fisherman!
You are in a small boat with marginal power.
If you got your anchor line tangled in your prop in 1/2 to a 1 knot tide or more, it's game over. Gone is your boat and probably you too.
That's just how I see it.

We anchor up all the time in a 16' boat , as other' s have said pay close attention to the current tables.
make sure you choose an anchor that is light enough you can tow on the retrieve.
It would be best to go with someone with experience for the first few trips

The only limitation I have found before I went up a few feet is weather. The issue becomes in small boat especially 16ft is when your at beam to waves when you spin around or stern to waves. That used scare the hell out of me in my 16 foot double eagle. You need to really pay attention to weather and pick ideal days and very soft currents.

I personally don't think it's a wise idea. Just fish on the drift. My boat is 18, and I'd still rather not worry about the hazards of anchoring. Plenty of fish caught drifting.

Every year I do a halibut fishing excursion and lesson for SFBC members and many take advantage of it for a lesson on how to anchor, and ask me alot of questions and a chance at some fine halibut. you may want to try and hook up with a group I usually advertise it offer it after xmas, its also for a good cause. Its really something you should learn before doing it solo ...

media_42355.jpg

There is a very big difference between the 16ft ocean boats spoken about by some members here and your own tinny. Know your boat, know the area you fish, know the currents and keep a keen eye on the weather. You'll be fine fair weather fishing.

If all else fails there is great bass fishing in shawnigan lake.

If you are new to anchoring in a small boat: low wind, low current, proper system to allow breakaway from the ball, bruce anchor, but like most boating adventures, it is all about the practicing in lower risk environments until you have the skill and confidence to take on more risk. When learning to anchor, study the charts and learn in the flatter/sandier areas away from pinnacles and snag-happy rocks. Use a "bruce/claw" style anchor with a the chain attached to the end by the claw and zip tied to the small end of the anchor. If the claw gets stuck in the rocks, the zip ties break and you can retrieve your anchor and run from bad weather quickly. If you have a low horsepower engine, consider swapping the propeller to a lower pitch on anchor pulling days, like you would for pulling a tube. It will give you more torque for pulling anchor. For learning anchoring around Victoria, try the sand flats between Race rocks and Albert Head, off the Victoria Waterfront-outside the shipping lanes, or Haro Strait avoiding the shipping lanes, pinnacles and RCA's. Problems happen quickly when the tide starts to change, the wind is blowing opposite, and the standing waves erupt around you as you are trying to dislodge and anchor set up with insufficient horsepower.

I anchored for hali for years with my 14 foot lund. Safety is key for sure, but many people on these forums will have you beleive that unless you have a 30 foot boat with twins on the back you have no buisness in the ocean. That is certainly far from the truth, but caution is key. There are a few things I did:

1. Used an undersized anchor, would rather it slip and reset than have a concrete like grip and not release
2. The zap strap method works quite well
3. My bow-stern (you MUST use the bow-stern method!!) line was just a couple loops that were near my hand in a emergency I could just unhook it fast (practice doing this in safe conditions is recommended)
4. Had a knife ready to cut the line if all else fails
5. NEVER went out in even a slightest questionable weather or strong tides (besides i find the best halibut fishing days are the calmer ones anyways!)
6. Got good at reading currents and wind websites

I probably anchored up at least 50 plus times with this rig. Never had to resort to emergency measures but i never pushed my limits either. Got tons of halibut this way. Sometimes the anchor would slip back down once it got to the scotsman with the lower powered motor but in general it always worked well.
Above all be safe! Go with someone else the first times who has done it. I learned how to do it by chartering a fishing trip. Best way in my opinion.

Back