Tachometer Isnt working

Anyone got any suggestions on how I could fix my tach? It stopped working somehow and it's irritating not knowing what your reving at. Any tips will be apprieceate. Thanks

Mine stopped a while back and when I traced it out the pitot tube (I think it's called) had some debris. Cleaned it out and was good to go. I have an outboard though, not sure if it's the same for inboards.

If it sits at zero its toast. If it sits at any rpm usually a few hundred and you turn the key and it does not go to zero its toast. That is of course once you have checked the wiring for a break or corrosion(obvious).Look online at brand and you should find a troubleshooting guide.

DeeJRay, I believe your thinking of speedometer, not tach. :)

Oakbayfishin, a lot of motors send tach info from the charge coil and it is a sign you may not be getting proper charging voltage. Put a voltmeter off the charge wires at the engine and if your not getting 13 to 14 volts your charge coils are down and your not charging the batteries . If you do get the proper voltage then check at the batteries then up at the tach to see if any wires are bad.

Back