Near death fishing experence? Mundy Park/ Lake (Bog)

So my friend and I decided to go fishing at (Coquitlam) Mundy Lake. It is only a few blocks away from Como lake, and I thought it was a pretty convenient fishing spot. Well, as soon as we were near the park, we saw this patch of land that was close to the waters edge. We noticed on the patch of land that there was some leftover fishing line from previous fishermen. So we decided to hop over a low wooden fence, and my friend decided to hug the bush as the ground looked slightly muddy. I had boots and work pants on so I decided to just walk on the muddish part. As soon as I placed my right foot onto the ground, I fell through into a bog. I was waist high at that point and I noticed I was getting sucked in. I managed to crawl my way out and my buddy was freaking out. He did ofter to help but I managed to free my leg in time. After that everything below my waist was soaked. My phone is messed up, but I am glad that I made it out. Apparently, the whole land mass was part of a bog so it was slightly unstable. We decided to stick to the dryer areas for about an hour, and we only got one bite. It probably a good idea to bring a Canoe, because of the vast amount of foliage at the surface of the lake. A while later, we decided to fish at Como Lake (Hook and Worm/Corn) and caught some hand sized Carp and surprisingly no Bullhead. If anyone decides to fish at Mundy Park, I am probably going to put up a Beware of Bog sign.

Side note: There was a random dead Robin with fishing line stuck to the body. I think someone may of cast their line out and caught the Robin mid flight. The line looked like it was cut a few meters away...let this be a lesson to clean up after you finish fishing.

Glad to hear you made it out OK. I had a similar experience several years ago. I had been steelhead fishing and was headed back to my vehicle. I decided to take a short cut, hiked up a embankment, and found myself on the edge of a gravel lot that was part of a sand,gravel, and cement plant. It was a Sunday and they were closed, so no one was around. There was a large mud puddle in front of me,but I had waders on so thought nothing of it. I took a couple of steps, and was instantly up to my armpits in water. The only thing that saved me was a tree limb laying on the ground close by, and I was able to use it to get myself out. I think that they might have backed up their cement trucks to that hole to wash them out, because there was a lot of sticky goo that was holding me in. I'm very careful about walking thru muddy water now.

Back