175hp Mercury no power ??

bentley

The motor has been sitting for a year, it's a 1994 2 stroke 175hp carborated , first time out was tonight, it started fine in the driveway, idiled fine. Went out tonight and starts right up, but there's no power to get up on a plane ??? Any ideas, things to check !! Thanks in advance

Sure sounds like carb / carbs to me too. Try marineengine.com forum to research doing those carbs if you've never done it.

Checked the compression tonight and I'm getting 105-110 in all cylinders, so I'm thinking carbs too, has anybody used that evinrude engine tuner in a spray can. I have never cleaned carbs, not sure if I want to tackle this, any tips if I do.

Yeah, time for a carb kit I think. You could try a product called Sea Foam available at auto parts stores. I've had some luck with it, but a carb rebuild sounds like it's in your future.

Check your fuel lines. A friend had his inner liner separate and it would idle fine but when he went to speed up it would die as the fuel line constricted.

Seafoam has worked for some, but if the carbs weren't drained of fuel during the winter, there is probably more build-up of residue than seafoam can take care of. Might be worth a shot. Cleaning / replacing carb parts (rebuild) is finicky, but if your fairly handy and get good directions, it's doable. After the cleaning of tiny ports and replacing of jets and needle valves and carb floats, the next tricky part on your engine will be syncing the carbs and the adjustment after you're finished rebuilding them. Usually requires a special tool with a gauge for each carb to sync them properly. You can make one yourself. I enjoy doing battle with my outboard, if you don't, go to the pros.
The other advice to check fuel line restrictions is good too.

check for collapsing fuel lines as stated...

Check to see if the primer bulb collapses when it needs more fuel. If so, a restriction is between the bulb and the fuel. Maybe a filter or collapsing fuel line.

pull a drain plug out of your bottom carb. If its clean on the bloat bowl side of it then its not your carbs. Im leaning towards a switch box or high speed stator. Like Ive said before, lots of advice, which one to take?

I'd say electrical too, down a cylinder or two.

those are awesome outboards a bit thirsty but easy to repair, it sounds like the diaphragm in your fuel pump an easy fix . They get dry and crack

i used to lose ignitor coils on my ol merc..

Take the carbs off. take them to a shop and have them soaked and blown out with air. if they have been sitting with gas in them this should clean them out.

that is going to cost the guy 500$ minimum. would it not be easier to rule out the carbs as an issue first? Maybe im just a bad mechanic. Maybe thats why im not rich yet.

Back