Good rod/reel combo for steelhead?

Just wondering, is there a reason so many steelhead anglers use level winds instead of spinning reels? is it durability in the bush or just a preference? I'm looking forward to trying for steelhead for the first time this winter, should I use my spinning gear or should I not even bother with it?

edit: just realized it might have something to do with drag free drifts.....

Just wondering, is there a reason so many steelhead anglers use level winds instead of spinning reels? is it durability in the bush or just a preference? I'm looking forward to trying for steelhead for the first time this winter, should I use my spinning gear or should I not even bother with it?

edit: just realized it might have something to do with drag free drifts.....

Free spool on a level wind allows a good drag free drift, but if a drag free drift is your priority, then you'll want a pin.

Also, spinning set ups are great at certain times when chucking hardware, and especially at certain times of the year and in situations where the fish are active.

spinning set ups are great at certain times when chucking hardware, and especially at certain times of the year and in situations where the fish are active.
Agreed-having a spinning outfit close @ hand increases your chances of success and can be a lot of fun-they're cheap too.

Agreed-having a spinning outfit close @ hand increases your chances of success and can be a lot of fun-they're cheap too.

I recall fondly of chucking BC orange Blue Fox spinners at steelies on the Nahmint River in July on light tackle. They were crazy insane on the first approach, but if anything, and I mean anything, spooked them, you were done for the day. Feast or famine on the canyon.

A backlash can ruin a morning no matter what type of line you're using lol. IMO Don't use braid if you're new, go with maxima ultragreen. I use #15 ultragreen which is good for both salmon and steel on vancouver island. My rod is also a med/heavy, but you could go lighter. You need the trigger if you're using a levelwind...

If you get called on the backlash on the river just tell em " It's a professional over run" lol.

You do not need a trigger if using a level wind. It is personal preference.

You do not need a trigger if using a level wind. It is personal preference.
Wrong, you'll never catch a single steelhead unless you have the trigger on the rod. :)

@hoochiebob..... looks like your going with a levelwinder, which is a good thing... the spinning rod, centerpin, fly rod and the shopping carts/landing nets all have their moments.... but the good old baitcaster is the most well rounded outfit for getting in more casts, covering more water and hopefully catching more fish.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wrong, you'll never catch a single steelhead unless you have the trigger on the rod. :)

@hoochiebob..... looks like your going with a levelwinder, which is a good thing... the spinning rod, centerpin, fly rod and the shopping carts/landing nets all have their moments.... but the good old baitcaster is the most well rounded outfit for getting in more casts, covering more water and hopefully catching more fish.

I agree, keeping your presentation whatever it may be in the zone more will lead to success, but don't get discouraged because all reels with the exception of the spinning setup take time to learn. So at first you might get frustrated and feel pressure to resort back to the comfortable spinning rig. Resist the urge otherwise you won't master the level wind and the you'll have limited options.

You might want to give these guys a look........http://www.talon-graphite.com/Rod section/factoryrods.htm

The one you want to look at is the ML 11'2. Not sure if it is listed on the website, but it is readily available. Just ordered 4 more for myself and the some of the crew. Catalog number is vi 378. You can call them and talk to Jean @1-360-225-8247. They are just in Woodland Washington, and will happily ship to Canada.Took just over 5 weeks to have all four built and they are in the mail now. They custom build when orders come in. Looking at around $185 each with the shipping. Might be more if they get hung up at customs and I have to pay the HST. Sometimes you get lucky and they come straight through. They are a very nice match for the Calcutta Conquests we are using, but we are going to try a couple of the new Calcutta D series reels with these ones. I have had my original two talons for 16 & 18 years now. Never broken either of them, and they have tumbled down more than one river bank, been dropped, hit with flying lead, had plenty of stuff piled on them,and caught more than a few fish...:)......worst damage has been cracked epoxy over the years which is easily fixed.

Attachments

• PA110188.jpg
    PA110188.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 176
I think all of the advice given is on the mark. The only thing I disagree with is using maxima ultragreen as a mainline. That particular line is fine if you are fishing fairly close but for long distance casts the stretch factor is rather large when trying to set the hook. I use a low stretch line as a mainline for two reasons, better feel and better hook sets.
Personally I love ultragreen as a leader material not a mainline material.

I switched to ultragreen and was out flossing for steelies today and it worked way better, I was killing them.

Common dude you have to try harder than that.

But, do respect the fact that you heeded my advice :D

There seems to be two kinds of chit stirring.... The funny kind where everyone laughs at the end.. Then the dick kind where you do feeble attempts to provoke a internet fight..

You seem to be conjuring up the latter tonight...

Get back to shop and sharpen your skills son :D

Back