Status
Not open for further replies.
Heard they are doing a FN seine fish today off sooke for springs ... anyone out there please take pics and post please.... of course first day of rain...

Was out yesterday and we found our 4 clipped Coho limit and let a few wilds go, 3 of them in the 12 pound range. Also interestingly the 1st Sockeye of the season. Kinda late being nearing the end of September. Still bright and in good shape...maybe 5 -6 pounds. We saw big masses of bait feeding on krill in 300ft of water, lots of birds and numerous coho feeding on the krill on the surface...flat calm day so easy to see them...but couldn't get them to bite bait or lures even those trolled ust under the surface. Had to get out to 575 ft of water to start getting action.

I've heard rumours that DFO plans to take out any surplus Chinook in the Sooke River including and specifically any hatchery marked Chinook from the net pen. I would like to know what number of Chinook is required to become a surplus!!! To me anything above the historic carrying capacity of the river would be acceptable.

Well its kinda scary since the SSE hasnt collected brood stock yet, so how can there be a surplus and my question how about the wild fish spawn??? lets get the river back to higher number then lets revisit it ... kinda a knee jerk theme going on with DFO here....... heard they netted the river so guess someone must have seen something FUNNY couldnt find a fishery notice of this on the DFO website???

Was out yesterday and we found our 4 clipped Coho limit and let a few wilds go, 3 of them in the 12 pound range. Also interestingly the 1st Sockeye of the season. Kinda late being nearing the end of September. Still bright and in good shape...maybe 5 -6 pounds. We saw big masses of bait feeding on krill in 300ft of water, lots of birds and numerous coho feeding on the krill on the surface...flat calm day so easy to see them...but couldn't get them to bite bait or lures even those trolled ust under the surface. Had to get out to 575 ft of water to start getting action.

Wow sockeye this late? Super lost....

I've heard rumours that DFO plans to take out any surplus Chinook in the Sooke River including and specifically any hatchery marked Chinook from the net pen. I would like to know what number of Chinook is required to become a surplus!!! To me anything above the historic carrying capacity of the river would be acceptable.
What does surplus mean? Wasn’t the whole idea of bet pen to increase returns?
One year we have declining, concerning stocks levels leasing to major restrictions... the next we have surplus? Will the hatchery fish all be checked for tags and data shared?
Maybe a new thread needed for this? I would like to hear more.

Last edited:
Hopefully Tips but this is DFO ya know ... they really know what they are doing right????

Out late morning today and started off by almost running over a gill net I assume anchored to shore or bottom just before the turn around the spit....was maybe a 1/3 of the way across the opening and right where the dozen or so sea lions sit and wait. So first thing is it wasn't properly marked at the far end and it was lucky I spotted it in the first place and dodged it as the floats were small. Second is it was unattended and I can see it feeding those sea lions who don't need our help. Did head out to 575 ft and found lots of action..maybe 20 coho total and kept 7 clipped...3 were small the other 4 were up to 9 pounds. Let a couple 12-13 pound wilds go. Water laid down flat and the rain held off for a decent trip. The gill net was gone when we came back 4 hours later and we pulled 6 dungies from the traps.

I did a Solo 4 hour solo shift this pm off the Head in 550-600 ft of water. Lots of hits, 1 double header, 7 to the Powerboat with 1 keeper to show for it. Most fish came deep, 130-150 on the rigger on a mint tulip hootchie or a silver/blue fly. What a beautiful afternoon on the water! 1 brief rain shower but the rest was shirtsleeve weather! Get out there boys: the rain hasn’t chased them away yet.

Out late morning today and started off by almost running over a gill net I assume anchored to shore or bottom just before the turn around the spit....was maybe a 1/3 of the way across the opening and right where the dozen or so sea lions sit and wait. So first thing is it wasn't properly marked at the far end and it was lucky I spotted it in the first place and dodged it as the floats were small. Second is it was unattended and I can see it feeding those sea lions who don't need our help. Did head out to 575 ft and found lots of action..maybe 20 coho total and kept 7 clipped...3 were small the other 4 were up to 9 pounds. Let a couple 12-13 pound wilds go. Water laid down flat and the rain held off for a decent trip. The gill net was gone when we came back 4 hours later and we pulled 6 dungies from the traps.
I imagine that would have ended differently in the fog. I hope you reported it.
Sounds like a good day fishing. ... and quit rubbing it in about the crabs! LOL

Put 6 hours in this morning in torrential rain and later nice warm sun. Huge swells out in the straights all morning so some big winds offshore some where. Coho fishing was crazy...non stop working 3 rods (with bait) for the entire 6 hrs. Never counted how many we played but I went through 5 trays of anchovies. Over 30 for sure...all above 55ft today in 550 plus water. Only 2 clipped to keep. But Tips Up you will be happy to hear 8 crab...4 from overnight set and 4 more after re-baiting at start of trip. Chicken is soaking overnight again right now lol

Last edited:
Looking for advice from the pro’s!

Option 1: go out first light and fish the flood?

Or

Option 2: go out in the afternoon and fish the tide change.

Or

Option 3: It doesn’t matter

Looking for some fun Coho action for the wife and kids but I don’t have all day on the boat.

Out today 7am to 12:30 - somewhere between 30-40 Coho on the rods. Out yesterday 11am to 3pm- some where around 20 Coho on the rods. Maybe that is option 3.

BTW..checked BWD for the wind forecast for tomorrow....5mph all morning from the SW with a flood means flat calm....10 to 15 mph in afternoon with the ebb means a bit sloppy. Taking the wife and kids..guess when I would go.

Certainly not "flat" out there this morning but was calm. Only a couple of down pours in the morning but it got heavy around noon. Lots of debris. In and out of the harbour. Great whale show! Humpbacks came in and fed near Secretary. Orca's breaching further out.

Fishing was good. Landed 8 coho. Missed several hits. Smaller fish than last weekend but 50/50 clipped for me. Herring air spoon at 60'. Lots of shakers East of Secretary for some reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back