Status
Not open for further replies.
Two springs at Muir today in heavy fog...still some around but definitely slower. No special tips...same as usual...just had to put time on the tac. One at 10am and the other around 11:30am. Chrome and both shy of 15 bs. Whales came thru in between fish. Saw 2 others caught but heavy fog and not a lot of boats. Released a decent wild coho.

Was out in the heavy fog as well. Went 3-4 on springs. Lost an absolute frieghttrain of a spring as well. 3 hatchery coho and a few wilds released. Luckily one of the coho that was a hatchery was one of the biggest I’ve ever caught out of sooke. Everything on bait today and everything up high.

Attachments

• CEAD6B15-0183-4F65-B6B4-372FFF70A25C.png
    CEAD6B15-0183-4F65-B6B4-372FFF70A25C.png
    2 MB · Views: 205
Was out in the heavy fog as well. Went 3-4 on springs. Lost an absolute frieghttrain of a spring as well. 3 hatchery coho and a few wilds released. Luckily one of the coho that was a hatchery was one of the biggest I’ve ever caught out of sooke. Everything on bait today and everything up high.
Otter?

The coho are bigger than normal as an average this year. Might be a fun fall with a real chance at a 20 pounder. Been a few years since I even topped 15 pounds.

Fished Saturday morning around 7 am in Pedder Bay, but nothing going on, no hits, and didn't see anyone else hookup. So headed down to Church Rock and was able to pick up a 4lb hatchery coho and released another wild one. The weather forecast looked amazing today so I decided to give it a go today with the family in tow and as a result, we had a very late start. Headed for Church Rock again in hopes of picking up some coho with the chance at a spring. No Coho at all but did manage to scrape up one 17lb spring. Not much a fight pretty much swam straight to the boat but had another spring about the same size follow right behind him all the way to the boat as well. 110 feet on the rigger, on anchovy, couple of shakers and that was it. Saw one other fish netted but overall pretty slow for the number of boats out there.

Was tagging all sorts of coho out in 550 between Beeched and Secretary - some undersize some wild and one nice hatch about 7lbs - Skinny g seemed to work well - dr at 75 but trolling fast

At otter for 6ish this morning in thick fog, had a few hits but didn’t hook up any. cruised upto Muir and same story. Not sure if I was going to quick, small fish, or a weak bite, but kept pulling up chovies with the back 1/3 ripped apart. Went out to 500ft and cruised from Muir to bluffs ish, no fish in the boat. Did have a Nice orca show, including them chasing a seal onto my swimgrid. That was exciting.
Came back in for a nice lunch at Route 14, and currently heading out again to fish secretary area for the eve.. only saw one fish being caught. When I got upto the guy to ask about it, said it was a sole... ‍♂️slow day for us...

telstar26 that was us you were talking too. We went over a really shallow spot when we picked that little guy up but we wanted to try pan frying him as we heard it is good eating

Attachments

• 85836CA9-8D15-4C43-AE64-F00C28F28C48.jpeg
    85836CA9-8D15-4C43-AE64-F00C28F28C48.jpeg
    114.8 KB · Views: 183
A couple of 17's this morning, one red one white. Had a couple more hits all in 1/2 hr on the morning high slack. Finished in a crappy easterly that tossed us around, thankfully no one got sick. Looks like easterlies most of the week if BWD is right.

40DE0A37-A58D-43F2-8105-5CB11D687C29.jpeg Out yesterday from Cheanuh, 7:30 to noon. We fished in 450 to 500 ft of water off the Head. We had 6 coho to the boat, 2 were keepers all caught with mint tulip hootchies, 120 ft on the rigger. There were lots of shakers so you had to keep on the gear. I helped my fishing partner’s grandson bring this one in, netting it for him. As I picked up the gaff to give the fish the wood shampoo he cries “Wait!” and reaches over a pops a blue M and M in the fish’s mouth. “Ok,” he says as I gave him a puzzled look. “I wanted him to die happy!”

Last edited:
A couple of springs this morning from Otter, 18 and 14 pounds. Missed a couple more that hit and left. Crappy esteries slop most of the morning. Went out in the afternoon again and it was flat calm and hot. A few coho hits that didn't stick otherwise slow.

Fished september 7-9. 7th we got skunked (lost a freight train via broken leader)at Alldridge then fished pedder (cowards cove). On the 8-9th went outside Pedder to the deep stuff up to Muir . Landed 3 springs 5lb 17lb and 18lb. Lost 2 more at the boat. Released 2 wild coho 7-8 lbs. All on bait except 1 coho on the cop car. Most hits at 100-125 on the dr

Thanks for the reportTsquared! Sounds like your crew had a nice day on the water.

Any other reports from guys specifically targeting coho over the last couple days?

tight lines!

Hi, I went on a solo trip yesterday morning and after two passes at the trap I gave up on spring’s and trolled out to the 500 ft water. Pleasantly surprised I managed to get 11 wild yo-yo’s to the boat. Went home shortly after lunch and grabbed the family for dinner on the boat. We managed to get 4 more wild, two of them being 8-10lbs. Fun day but nothing for the freezer.

80-120 on the riggers.

Fished yesterday for springs for about 2 hrs then switched to coho,out of Beacher Bay to the Race about 8 on,lost 3 landed 5,only 2 hatchery.In 400 to 500 ft.90% at 40-45ft.,the hatchery were smallish the wild were much bigger 8-10lbs.

Seeing that makes so much sense it will never happen thanks once again DFO

Oct 1st. your allowed to keep 1 wild Coho in Sooke 20-5. http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/tidal-maree/co-chq/20-co-chq-eng.pdf
C/P:
Oct 1 – Dec 31. 4 Coho per day, only 1 may be unmarked That portion of Subarea 20-1 (seaward of a line between a square white boundary sign at Owen Point, the Port San Juan Light and Whistle Buoy, and San Juan Point). Subareas 20-3 to 20-7 (excluding closed times listed below)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back