The Vehicle You Are Proud Of

profisher

So outside of fishing I have a strong passion for music and also cars...for me specifically muscle cars. There are a lot of hidden gems in BC tucked away collecting dust. Some do get out and have their legs stretched once in awhile and if you are lucky to be on the same pavement on that day you get a quick peak at them. Car shows aren't happening this year so I'm seeing less of these classics than normal. So post a pic of your ride and some details on how you got it, where you got it, work done etc etc.
My ride is a cool story. My dad bought this car new in 1965 from Olsen Motors which soon after became Peter Pollen Ford. Its a 65 coupe with a C code 289/auto. It is a 100% garage kept car with original paint, interior and running gear. He found the rally wheels through a Vancouver Island Mustang club member and added the proper power steering and brakes to the car as it was manual everything when he bought it. He did save the original hubcaps. He passed away last march and left it to me as I was the only one of his kids who drove it, washed it, waxed it, vacuumed it. If you know my 28 year old Seasport which even as a day one working boat still looks newish. This car and my dad taught me how to look after things and keep them looking new. It has 69,000 original miles on it. He had dual exhaust on it for a few years until one year a guy having a bad night at the testing station said it was to loud and failed it. He said screw it and put it back to single. I'm going to put a stainless dual exhaust system on it this fall as it won't hurt it value. I had Tom Ceino appaise it last summer and he gave it a value of $28.000 for insurance purposes. Dad paid just over $3000 for it new. I have a weird relationship with this car because I have no sense of pride of ownership....its still my dad's car in my mind. The cool part and I like telling this part of the story...how many people at 61 years are still driving the car they learned to drive on at 16? That is cool to me.

Attachments

• mustang65 - Copy.jpg
    mustang65 - Copy.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 219
wow. not my thing but beautiful car! picture that ‘51 Ford pickup chasing Forest gump down the dirt road? “run forest run!“what i would give to have that truck. and not restored. just as is.

20200810_153333.jpg 20190425_142014.jpg 20200418_174018.jpg 20190425_110124.jpg 20180818_102641.jpg 15995985020996343824200080128973.jpg My 58 Vette
Dam son sent a "for sale" link on this estate sale vette 3 yrs ago.
Guy who owned it was a bit if an eccentric loner? No family was renting a carriage home and left it in his will to the owner of the property 2 young daughters.
When I bought, it was a bit of a mess, wirering was a mess, and 1st winter tore it down and rebuilt the 283 ,put in all new wireing, brake lines,rad, heater core and motor, redid most everything that was needed.
All brakes and rearend had been done just before the fellow died.
It came up from California in 61' by dead guys parents..have paperwork and old registration from original owner.
I bought it to drive and do so every chance I get

Last edited:
My 58 Vette
Guy who owned it was a bit if an eccentric loner? No family was renting a carriage home and left it in his will to the owner of the property 2 young daughters.
When I bought, it was a bit of a mess, wirering was a mess, and 1st winter tore it down and rebuilt the 283 ,put in all new wireing, brake lines,rad, heater core and motor, redid most everything that was needed.
It came up from California in 61' by dead guys parents..have paperwork and old registration from original owner.
I bought it to drive and do so every chance i get

View attachment 56729 View attachment 56726 View attachment 56727

Wowza! What a beautiful car.

Built this in 1996 to kick around the trails on the weekends. Took a 1975 GMC 3/4 ton 4X4 with a 350 SBC and stripped it for the frame, motor, running gear, steering, brakes and electric harness. I rebuilt the running gear and then took a 1952 GMC cab and box and mated it together with all the parts. Added a propane system for fuel milage. I built it for go anywhere, not so much for show even though it was a kid magnet. Sold it in 2005 to the shagrin of my kid.

index.php

index.php

Last edited:
More to the Mustang story.. it was my dad's first new car but he really bought it for my mom ( he went to buy a Falcon but she spotted the Mustang and I don't need to explain further) to drive to work as he drove a 1956 Merc 1/2 ton pickup at the time. Mom worked at Sears at Hillside from he day the store opened. In 1978 she came home and told us around the dinner table that when she came out from work there were a bunch of kids hanging around the car, one sitting on it. That was it...he bought her a new car and took the Mustang off the road and parked it in our rumpus room which by opening a big door was an extension of the garage. It sat there until 1992, he never drained the oil, gas etc etc...just parked and walked away. From about 1988 anytime one of his friends would be over for a drink and asked if he still had the car he would say yeh and maybe this spring I'll get it back on the road.....but it never would happen. In 1992 he said this to someone and I was there....I took a chance and said well if you don't I will. He never said anything so I figured...green light! I went out and bought a battery, carb kit, penetrating oils etc. I squirted some of the oil down each cylinder, lifters, valves etc. Rebuilt the carb, drained the fluids and replaced and threw in the new battery. He showed no interest in what I was up to until I went upstairs and said...I'm ready to fire it. That changed...well well maybe we should pull the distributor and put a speed wrench on the oil pump and get oil pressure up before hand. So I turned the wrench while he watched the oil pressure gauge....we had 50 pounds of oil pressure by hand. I poured a bit of fuel down the carb to help it suck fresh fuel from the tank. It fired right away, ran for a couple seconds and quit. He cranked it for 4-5 seconds and it fired....filled the garage with smoke from all the oil I dumped into it. It had one noisy lifter....by the time the temp was up enough to open the t-stat...the smoke was gone and so was the lifter noise. No leaks or funny noises...other then the muffler was done....it ran just like it did in 1978 when it was parked and has ever since. I only wish it was K code 4 speed GT fastback!!! lol

Last edited:
So outside of fishing I have a strong passion for music and also cars...for me specifically muscle cars. There are a lot of hidden gems in BC tucked away collecting dust. Some do get out and have their legs stretched once in awhile and if you are lucky to be on the same pavement on that day you get a quick peak at them. Car shows aren't happening this year so I'm seeing less of these classics than normal. So post a pic of your ride and some details on how you got it, where you got it, work done etc etc.
My ride is a cool story. My dad bought this car new in 1965 from Olsen Motors which soon after became Peter Pollen Ford. Its a 65 coupe with a C code 289/auto. It is a 100% garage kept car with original paint, interior and running gear. He found the rally wheels through a Vancouver Island Mustang club member and added the proper power steering and brakes to the car as it was manual everything when he bought it. He did save the original hubcaps. He passed away last march and left it to me as I was the only one of his kids who drove it, washed it, waxed it, vacuumed it. If you know my 28 year old Seasport which even as a day one working boat still looks newish. This car and my dad taught me how to look after things and keep them looking new. It has 69,000 original miles on it. He had dual exhaust on it for a few years until one year a guy having a bad night at the testing station said it was to loud and failed it. He said screw it and put it back to single. I'm going to put a stainless dual exhaust system on it this fall as it won't hurt it value. I had Tom Ceino appaise it last summer and he gave it a value of $28.000 for insurance purposes. Dad paid just over $3000 for it new. I have a weird relationship with this car because I have no sense of pride of ownership....its still my dad's car in my mind. The cool part and I like telling this part of the story...how many people at 61 years are still driving the car they learned to drive on at 16? That is cool to me.

Great story.

My 58 Vette
I bought it to drive and do so every chance i get

View attachment 56729 View attachment 56726 View attachment 56727

That is my dream car.

Great thread...ok so consider this a PSA on how one should never click around the internet drunk on a Saturday night with memories of your first car on your mind. In my case it was a 1972 Datsun 240Z with mushrooms growing in the carpet and fiberglass quarter panels flapping in the wind. I bought it from Wetmore Motors in North Van for $2,100 in the fall of 1985 and destroyed it on Cap Road late winter of 1986. It was the best 6 months ever and almost kept me from qualifying for post secondary school.

In January of 2010, my Dad passed away and I wanted to add something back into my life to take my mind off all the **** we had gone through dealing with the family junk that rises to the surface as a time like this. I finally found (so I thought) the 240Z of my dreams out of Denver, CO..."NO RUST" (hahahah) 23,000 original miles, one owner....so the flipper wanted me to believe for $18,000 USD. He claimed to have towed it to Blaine, WA and I drove down and picked it up, in the first 5 mins of having it I found rust in the same old spot inside the front rocker panel section within the front fender. Damage was done...drove it around that summer then started to take things off it in the fall. Delivered the shell to Mark of Excellence auto restorations in Coombs, BC and tore down the engine only to find "surprise" the L24 that was artfully dirty and "original to the car" was in fact a replacement L26. Fak....anyway the interior was great and the car had awesome bones to start with but I wasn't really in the mood for a total restoration but that happened anyway. Turned out great but it really just sits in the garage most (all) of the time.

I am about to install a NIMSO electric fuel pump that Nissan / Datsun often prescribed for fuel starvation and will have it back together this week. It has a 3.70 LSD out of an '88 300ZX Turbo and a 5 Speed out of a 280ZX which are direct bolt in mods. That's something really cool about these cars, you can swap some key components from 1970 through 89.

I think a lot about selling it at some point as these cars are fetching decent money now. The body is bone stock and I have the original steel wheel with perfect Datsun hubcaps and f we didn't have the COVID border issues ongoing it would likely make a trip onto BAT as it is time to move on.

I picked up an old 911 along the way too, it is a 1989 coupe originally sold in Vancouver that is pretty cool as it is about 230 to the end of the production run before they moved over to the 964. I don't think many want to see that here but it is pretty damn fun to drive and I do so whenever I can. That has been a rolling restoration of sorts.

Attachments

• -3027416643838063906.0.jpg
    -3027416643838063906.0.jpg
    245.1 KB · Views: 123
  • 20190309_133728_resized.jpg
    20190309_133728_resized.jpg
    511 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:
20200907_180354.jpg 20200907_180426.jpg 20200907_180508.jpg

1971 Corvette.

355 (3000 over) ci, B&B and bottom end is good to 7,000 rpms, TRW pistons, 4 bolt main, S/S crank, dart ported and polished heads, headman headers, custom 2.5 “ exhaust. Turbo 400 trans, with B&M SS and TCI clutches. Ian Wood racing rear end. KYB shock system and rear spring

The list goes on and on and was just in the process of re doing the interior and got the door panels completed and new carpets. The seat upholstery and seals and other parts were ordered and made it to the board but then could not cross due to spray paint and was shipped back to the US.

Then last spring I crushed a disk in my lower back and for 11 months could not even put on my socks and all work on the car stopped.

Now I’m think of selling it because with my back issues I’m having a hard time doing anything which involves bending.

What a great thread. I love old classic cars, but I'm smart enough to know I'm not the guy to own one. ;-)

My son and I built it as a junior high IB project. Porsche 944 with a 355 cid sbc with an lt1 intake mated to it. We built everything but the bellhousing.. no kit for us. It was nuts!

Attachments

• IMG_0861.JPG
    IMG_0861.JPG
    376.2 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_0852.JPG
    IMG_0852.JPG
    458.5 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_0856.JPG
    IMG_0856.JPG
    309.8 KB · Views: 82
Kildonan, why not? If you buy one that someone else has done a proper and complete restoration on it you will get it for less than the cost they paid to get it done. Most of these cars get less than 1000 miles put on them in a year and never driven in the rain if it can be helped. Unlike nw cars they hold their value and if kept long enough keep increasing in value. Like a friend of mine says I can have all my money in the bank and have no fun...or I can have my money invested in my cars and play with my money every day.

Back