105 pound Rivers inlet Chinook

I took the liberty of posting that picture on a website where the fishermen who read it commonly see 50 to 100 lb fish in their daily boating (tuna, tarpon etc). I asked them to guess the weight of that fish. Most responders said “50”, one guy allowed “60”. I’m with Serengeti on this—-I’m thinking , mid to upper 70's

I commercial fished and saw lots of 40’s and got pretty good at eyeballing weights which I got to confirm when they wrote up the fish ticket. I also fished the Kenai for 5 years straight and saw lots and lots of 60 to 70 pound fish (back in the early 80’s). These were dead fish hanging from gallows in the front yards of the lodges so I have a pretty good idea of chinook weight relative to a human body standing beside it

Yes, maybe fishermen are jealous and downgrading the weight of another guy’s fish is in our genes, but I’d also make the argument that rigorous scientific method is important and that formula gets a bit sketchy when girth comes into play.

I fished the Skeena system for 40 years every fall and know my way around big steelhead. I’ve seen 42” fish that based on that formula, should have weighed low 30’s but they were snaked-out and weighed mid-20’s. I’ve seen 38” fish that by that formula should have weighed 18 lbs but due to the stunning girth of the particular fish, ended up weighing 25 lbs.

This fish weighed 97 (after sitting in the back of a pick-up truck in the hot sun). You can see how the girth travels all the way back to the anal fin. No doubt on the weight of this one:

9643659B-6275-4FD9-8B8F-560CA2AEE953.jpeg

That Rivers fish is a beauty and I love the smile on the gal that caught it but you can see the girth doesn’t carry through to the anal fin—-it starts to taper just behind that guys right hand. It’s a beauty, a once in a lifetime fish, but the number begins with a 7, maybe an 8, but not a 1

Last edited:
I’m very disappointed in some of comments in this post. Those people that caught that fish and the buddy boat have caught several in the 50’s and 60’s and aren’t some rookies. They caught a lot of hogs this year including a 70 besides that big one.

To downplay their catch seems so petty, like high school and fishing the Chilliwack River.

I’m very disappointed in some of comments in this post. Those people that caught that fish and the buddy boat have caught several in the 50’s and 60’s and aren’t some rookies. They caught a lot of hogs this year including a 70 besides that big one.

To downplay their catch seems so petty, like high school and fishing the Chilliwack River.

No ones downplaying it. It’s a pig and hope they are damn proud of it. But to claim you have a world record you better have a world
Record. And that my friend is not a world record.

None of the guys commenting fished the head this year (except for me).
Give the guy a break.
Pictures never do a fish justice.
Will anyone give him the benefit of the doubt and just take him at his word.
Come on!!!

That fish is huge. Unlikely 105 but MUCH BIGGER than the one I caught a few years ago. Its well over 70.....congrats to the anglers. Some killer fish at the head this year. Nice to see a big shift on fish being released.

And I did fish at the head this year.....only for a day and a half.....big blue center console hard to miss........

I caught one last year that measured out to around 24lbs, it seemed huge to me. They could have used mine for bait for that one

I guess if I catch a massive hog I won’t advertise the weight and allow everyone else to tell me what I caught based on the pic!

Keep it to friends and family.

And that is why I don’t post any reports anymore, and know of a few members that do the same, some have closed their acc all toghether

not my picture but was sent this awhile back, netted on the kalum and released i believe somewhere around 110lbs

Attachments

• F6AAD686-4053-4403-BF95-94D5B91D1CBB.jpeg
    F6AAD686-4053-4403-BF95-94D5B91D1CBB.jpeg
    119.9 KB · Views: 336
Why get sensitive about the weight? Isn’t that what this forum is for to discuss things?
They caught a huge fish and everyone seems to appreciate it. I don’t think it looks bigger than 80 lbs myself, and that’s ok!
Great fish, big smiles, and a few think it taped out to a world record and others don’t, and here we are discussing it. No need to stop reporting and delete accounts haha

Interesting. Catching fish that close to spawning doesn't hold appeal to me.
this was not sport caught if i remember what i was told is it was tagged and released by fisheries , hence why i said it was netted

Man o man. Just reading this thread tells me why we can’t make progress with DFO /FEDS on openings, TAC and other divisive objectives facing the Sport Fishing community. Highly opinionated group. Congrats to the guy who caught the fish. Once in a lifetime event fosho. That’s all.

OR.... if you catch a massive hog you could simple tape the fish out in about 15 seconds while your fishing partner takes a video with your phone. We did this just for fun with the fish we caught and released up in rivers this year and it really doesn't take that much effort and I can assure you that there would be much less dispute over the size of any of the fish we caught up there this year. Let's face it, most people who fish wanna catch big fish. Most people fishing the head in rivers also now wanna release these big fish to give them a chance to spawn... which is awesome!

However, if anyone is going to claim they caught a 70, 80, 90 or even a 105lb fish they sure as **** better have some documentation to support it if they expect people to believe it. Especially for a fish of potential record size. The guy who took the only few pics could have easily been asked to climb aboard and verify measurements, take some video and more pics showing measurements and help them safely return the fish to the water to revive it and let it swim away (which I hear was a bit of an issue).

Having been fishing right beside the boat who caught this fish I can tell everyone first hand that this couple absolutely slayed the big ones for the 3-4 days I was up there with them. They had a few other monsters that they released in addition to this one. As far as I saw, they caught more fish and bigger fish than any of the several dozen boats up there, including this fish of a lifetime. But, they should have just left it at that as opposed to announcing to the fleet that it was 105.9lbs. If you're going get that specific... and that specificity means a record fish... you need way better evidence. Fisherman are a notoriously competitive bunch... and some are known to even stretch the truth... so best to provide at least some credible evidence to avoid the messy conversation around this awesome fish.

I guess if I catch a massive hog I won’t advertise the weight and allow everyone else to tell me what I caught based on the pic!

Back