2019 Nootka Sound/Esperanza Inlet Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
back from a few days fishing Esperanza
three Springs working Ferrer, one right at 25# halfway to Magic Rock on Cop Car spoon, 30’ on the rigger
Switched next day to join the fleet at Grassy with eight in box in short order also on spoons from 40-70’ Rounded out our boat limit of Springs between Pin and Rosa, again at 30’ w spoons.

Enforcement present and very professional including immigration ride along, best to have all the right documents as we do...

Lots of Yelloweye about, get that barotrauma release. I rig a longer teather on it to make hooking fish up easy, would hate to drop that $$$$$$ overboard....

After a solid week of insane fishing around Esperanza with multiple doubleheaders and easy limits on Springs off Catella and other places, the fishing slowed yesterday. It seems the big concentration of chinook moved on, and you have to work a bit harder for them now. I fished Ferrer point with only a couple of hits Saturday, but there were reports of fish further north.

After a solid week of insane fishing around Esperanza with multiple doubleheaders and easy limits on Springs off Catella and other places, the fishing slowed yesterday. It seems the big concentration of chinook moved on, and you have to work a bit harder for them now. I fished Ferrer point with only a couple of hits Saturday, but there were reports of fish further north.

Thanks for the report, headed up Monday, hopefully its not one of those you should have been here last week trips. But I`ll still be in Nootka.

We just finally made it back from a long week at Critter Cove. Our first trip to BC and it didn't disappoint! We fished wash rock and lighthouse the first day, released a ton of smalls, landed some decent nooks and finally got fed up with the salad in the water and fished around the corner to the south side (burdwood I think) Morning bite was the best and had a blast with 20# fish every day! Big lings and rock fish kept us on our toes nonstop. We had at least 3-4 nice Coho in the 7-8 range each day, some clipped some not. Ran straight out for 7-8 miles to 190-200 FOW and caught good eater size halibut with a few skates thrown in, one of which was as large as the fishing deck of the boat! Herring aid in 3.5 and the silver horde live image were the top producers. The area north (maquna I think) had a small fleet of boats each day too.
Side note for anyone going to Critter Cove, bring extra garbage bags. They are no longer allowed to burn there and everything has to be packed out

Thank you all for the awesome reports! coming up to nootka for the first time next week, cant wait!!

couple of questions . . . any info on bait size that is showing or working better so far? Are you allowed to use treble hooks at all in areas 25 & 125 ? regs are kind of confusing . . .

Thank you all for the awesome reports! coming up to nootka for the first time next week, cant wait!!

couple of questions . . . any info on bait size that is showing or working better so far? Are you allowed to use treble hooks at all in areas 25 & 125 ? regs are kind of confusing . . .
Hooks just need to be barbless.

treble is fine as long as barbless, bait was all tiny. coho killers and 3.5 spoons were the ticket.

Thanks for the report. Looking forward to out trip next week. Always good to know the bait size before heading up.

Looks like a lot of rain coming the next few weeks. That should push the fish around
https://cliffmass.blogspot.com/2019/07/winter-in-july.html?m=1

We just finally made it back from a long week at Critter Cove. Our first trip to BC and it didn't disappoint! We fished wash rock and lighthouse the first day, released a ton of smalls, landed some decent nooks and finally got fed up with the salad in the water and fished around the corner to the south side (burdwood I think) Morning bite was the best and had a blast with 20# fish every day! Big lings and rock fish kept us on our toes nonstop. We had at least 3-4 nice Coho in the 7-8 range each day, some clipped some not. Ran straight out for 7-8 miles to 190-200 FOW and caught good eater size halibut with a few skates thrown in, one of which was as large as the fishing deck of the boat! Herring aid in 3.5 and the silver horde live image were the top producers. The area north (maquna I think) had a small fleet of boats each day too.
Side note for anyone going to Critter Cove, bring extra garbage bags. They are no longer allowed to burn there and everything has to be packed out

Looks to me like same as it’s been inside
When it opens on July 15th outside 1 nm a 45-80 cm slot will apply
Hope I am reading this correctly
Can Anyone confirm this ?

According to the release July 12 at 527pm...
Area 125 (the area 1nm outside area 25) from July 15 to July 31 will be 2 Springs per day and they need to be between 45cm and 80cm.

And Area 25...aka the Nootka inside.....remains at 2 Springs per day over 45cm.

There are also some changes to daily Coho limits for Area 25 released on July 11.

Last edited:
Just back from a few days for our first Nootka trip.

Fished wash to light house. Easy limits by 730. Bite died off by 9:00, still able to grind a few out inbetween tides.
Lit up again just before tide yesterday and today.

Average of 22# for us, lost a lot more then we kept !
Everything we put down worked, spoons cuttle size glow hootchies and bait. Skinny g in herring aid was the winner for hits.

Great time flat water. Can't wait for the next trip.
Thanks for all the tips in the area.

Heading to Esperanza next week need a little help with understanding coho limits .
Am I correct that daily limit is 2 coho wild or hatchery ? Area 25-13 is most likely the area we would be fishing .
My old brain is confused with all the openings,closed areas and restrictions. Chinook is pretty straightforward just need some help with coho . Thanks in advance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back