All Things COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Corticosteroids reduce mortality among critically ill patients with Covid-19.
Studies released today show positive results for potential of a whole class of drugs.
Drugs that were in a randomized clinical trial (gold standard) study were dexamethasone, hydrocortisone, and methylprednisolone*.
(*needs more data)

note, i kind of clarified that, but the statement doesn't mean that 94% had co-morbidities in the way you are implying (pre-existing), it just means covid turned into other complications that eventually caused death. Kind of a good read on it here: https://drbartlettpear.com/2020/08/30/covid-19-series-entry-11/
I finally had a read of this and also looked at the comorbidities listed by the CDC. The top ten do include stuff like "heart failure" that could definitely be complications of COVID.

But they also include some entries like diabetes, which is definitely pre-existing...C19 seems to have some strange symptoms but retroactive pancreatic failure 20 years in the past is probably not one of them.

I would therefore conclude that the comorbidities as described by the CDC are a mixture of related complications, and pre-existing conditions, and without way more detail which is almost certainly not available, there's basically no way to know how that breaks down. I get the Bartlett take and it's probably accurate in many cases, but I also think it's unlikely that doctors are listing "obesity" "hypertension" and "diabetes" as complications of a viral infection.

Unfortunately this really just means that the number 94% is meaningless, and it could represent 1% pre-existing comorbidities and 93% complications, or the other way around, although I think the Bartlett commentary makes enough sense that it is probably mostly complications. Still, if diabetes is in the top ten listed issues, it's definitely not exclusively complications of C19.

Can’t stand Bonnie Henry’s updates anymore.

she wants people to reduce their contact well lady do U know what my contacts are gonna be when I send my kids to school? A hell of a lot more

to much beating around the bush to. Says we’re at 65% of contacts and need to reduce or it will get worse.

seems like they are just blowing a lot of hot wind now. I’m not saying she is wrong but if the stick is needed use the stick.

Lots of misdirection and hourly changes with the 811. Some of the direction is complete opposite of what they tell ppl 20minutes earlier.

However the one thing that has changed for the better is that they are telling everyone to get tested who has symptoms.

I am close with two ppl who tested positive and were completely asymptomatic. Also close w two ppl mid 30s...great health and they are having complications weeks after testing positve.
One had a high fever for almost two weeks, the other had to get an ambulance take her from her residence due to complications w pnuemonia.

Very scary how it effects everyone different.

covid19_hsda_cumulative_14days_20200903.png

http://www.bccdc.ca/health-info/diseases-conditions/covid-19/data

British Columbia Weekly COVID-19 Surveillance Report
August 28 – September 3, 2020

Key Findings
BC continues to experience a high number of COVID-19 cases but hospitalisations and deaths remain low.
The number of new cases reported this week (669) increased compared to last week (547).
The number of active cases (1,175) also increased compared to last week (906).
Over 90% of new cases in the last week were reported by Fraser and Vancouver Coastal Health.
The most likely source of infection remains contact with a local case or cluster.
While the number of tests conducted has increased, the proportion which tested positive has remained stable over the last few weeks.
The number of cases reported among 10-29 year olds continues to increase whereas the majority of age groups saw a slight decrease or stable number of cases reports in the last week.
New hospital admissions and deaths remain low, but the number of new hospital admissions has increased in the last two weeks.
The number of cases currently in hospital and in critical care have also increased in the last 1-2 weeks but the numbers remain much lower than in phase 1.
The number of new daily cases in BC is increasing more rapidly than in some other parts of Canada and internationally.

http://www.bccdc.ca/Health-Info-Site/Documents/BC_Surveillance_Summary_Sept_3_2020.pdf

Thursday was the day BC releases their modeling. Lots of information in that presentation but the two things I track are the R naught and the model scenarios. We want to get the R naught below one and the contacts below 50%, not sure how that's going to happen.

index.php

index.php

https://news.gov.bc.ca/files/COVID19_Going_Forward_Sept_2020.pdf

Video of the presentation.

Last edited:
I finally had a read of this and also looked at the comorbidities listed by the CDC. The top ten do include stuff like "heart failure" that could definitely be complications of COVID.

But they also include some entries like diabetes, which is definitely pre-existing...C19 seems to have some strange symptoms but retroactive pancreatic failure 20 years in the past is probably not one of them.

I would therefore conclude that the comorbidities as described by the CDC are a mixture of related complications, and pre-existing conditions, and without way more detail which is almost certainly not available, there's basically no way to know how that breaks down. I get the Bartlett take and it's probably accurate in many cases, but I also think it's unlikely that doctors are listing "obesity" "hypertension" and "diabetes" as complications of a viral infection.

Unfortunately this really just means that the number 94% is meaningless, and it could represent 1% pre-existing comorbidities and 93% complications, or the other way around, although I think the Bartlett commentary makes enough sense that it is probably mostly complications. Still, if diabetes is in the top ten listed issues, it's definitely not exclusively complications of C19.
you can download the death certificate data here: https://data.cdc.gov/NCHS/Weekly-Counts-of-Deaths-by-State-and-Select-Causes/muzy-jte6 - hit export top right - you will see covid is considered underlying cause in 93% of all the deaths (scroll to the bottom to see US as a whole)

Yes, I would imagine so - but I think this tells us less about the significance of preexisting conditions than would be useful.

I mean it's perfectly valid to say that covid19 has killed a person with COPD that was otherwise being managed well, it just doesn't tell us a lot about how much their particular timeline got moved up. Without c19, they would have lived...but for how long? To me, that's the real question.

I was looking into the question on what would be the arguments for requesting employees to take a vaccine when I ran across this doctor. Didn't answer my question but found someone that at least made sense and brings a different perspective from our friends to the south.

He has many good videos that are worth watching.
https://www.youtube.com/c/ZDoggMD/videos

I always learn something new when I hear Dr. Anthony Fauci interviewed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back