Your Favorite Made In Canada or USA Salmon Plugs.

Those are sweet looking plugs.... Love the finish that you have achieved. Would you be willing to share some of your paint
and finish secrets with us ?? Maybe a pic of your spray booth,tools etc. ??
A few from a run of similar colours completed yesterday, going to be doing some more elaborate ones soon but I thought this thread would appreciate it 👍

Those are sweet looking plugs.... Love the finish that you have achieved. Would you be willing to share some of your paint
and finish secrets with us ?? Maybe a pic of your spray booth,tools etc. ??
I use commercially available paints, tools, etc. Nothing fancy really besides my iwata and sparxmax compressor. My finish is what keeps my business going so that will never be public! Just takes a lot of patience, practice, and trial and error. To give a bit of perspective, I have about 150 hours of physical work alone into the final finish and have gone through about 12 different products with associated techniques to get where I'm at now. All in all I've put about 400 hours a month into this idea over the past 7 months to end up with the plugs I make now, but they're always changing and improving. 🙂

I use commercially available paints, tools, etc. Nothing fancy really besides my iwata and sparxmax compressor. My finish is what keeps my business going so that will never be public! Just takes a lot of patience, practice, and trial and error. To give a bit of perspective, I have about 150 hours of physical work alone into the final finish and have gone through about 12 different products with associated techniques to get where I'm at now. All in all I've put about 400 hours a month into this idea over the past 7 months to end up with the plugs I make now, but they're always changing and improving. 🙂
Best answer. Keep it under your hat. Your doing great. Keep Going.

Thanks! I can't bear to cover the wood with white or anything, just too beautiful. I'll have to start my own thread to avoid continuing derailment of rvp's 😅
Na, just keep Going. It's a Canadian plug and falls within the topic. It doesn't matter to me. I am not your normal manufacturer i believe in promoting all Canadian and USA made fishing tackle. Anyone can go offshore and buy OEM. Not everyone can design and build what they create here...it takes true talent, creativity drive, passion, understanding, effort and true local support to keep people building here. 🙂

Na, just keep Going. It's a Canadian plug and falls within the topic. It doesn't matter to me. I am not your normal manufacturer i believe in promoting all Canadian and USA made fishing tackle. Anyone can go offshore and buy OEM. Not everyone can design and build what they create here...it takes true talent, creativity drive, passion, understanding, effort and true local support to keep people building here. 🙂
Preach!

There's always a race to the bottom and no one wins from that, local economies and skilled trades should always have top priority. Impossible to be a self sufficient country without both! During my development I always went to local brick and mortar small businesses first to see if they had what I needed before looking anywhere online. My wood comes from a one man mill operation in black creek, eyes from the local fly store, etc. The clothing I've been using for this business and others is from Jerico who actually manufacture in Canada, the list goes on.

I'm keeping my eyes on your site for some new carved reels too!
20240415_102930.jpg

Preach!

There's always a race to the bottom and no one wins from that, local economies and skilled trades should always have top priority. Impossible to be a self sufficient country without both! During my development I always went to local brick and mortar small businesses first to see if they had what I needed before looking anywhere online. My wood comes from a one man mill operation in black creek, eyes from the local fly store, etc. The clothing I've been using for this business and others is from Jerico who actually manufacture in Canada, the list goes on.

I'm keeping my eyes on your site for some new carved reels too!
View attachment 105231
sooo…where does one buy these beauties? strictly a wall hanger for my tyee pool rod

sooo…where does one buy these beauties? strictly a wall hanger for my tyee pool rod
I'll be at the trade show in town here this weekend, admission is free too! I have a website too but I'm going to adhere to the forum rules on self promotion until I get my company account going.

I'm only bringing 18 Pool Specials this weekend so get there early with elbows out 😂

One of the factors I’ve found most useful in tweaking plugs is balancing the hook size to the size of the plug. What I’ve found with what comes stock from Tomic is that the small plugs come with hooks too large for their bodies.

These are modified 3”, 4” and 5” tubbies with size 1, 1/0 and 3/0 hooks respectively. They’re also rigged with a split ring and small swivel on the front.

Work fine trolling in the mix of other gear. Wide range of speeds work up to near 6kts. Oftentimes they get hammered off the rigger when the boat is in neutral or near-neutral when netting another fish.

Love them when it’s near full moon and the fish are irritated in late July, August and September.
Hey Hoops, does the top plug glow in the dark?

Hey Hoops, does the top plug glow in the dark?

Hey @nootkaassassin,

It’s a custom I got painted by Tomic. It can be ordered under the code “231011”.

I took all the parts I like from other Tomic plug designs and asked them to create this beauty.

It’s painted on top of the UV body;
Has a glow belly;
Around eye level it has a very thin chartreuse stripe;
Followed above by a thicker green line for the first two thirds that blends into the purple tail;
And finally it has a vibrant blue top from the 500 plug;
Fire-eye nose.

The idea behind it was to make it colour shifting, and it does so very nicely when rotated in the hand.

The only additional ask I would have for Tomic in my restocking order would be to have all the colours including the glow belly be painted in a scale pattern.

Nevertheless, am very happy with both how it looks and how it fishes.

Hey @nootkaassassin,

It’s a custom I got painted by Tomic. It can be ordered under the code “231011”.

I took all the parts I like from other Tomic plug designs and asked them to create this beauty.

It’s painted on top of the UV body;
Has a glow belly;
Around eye level it has a very thin chartreuse stripe;
Followed above by a thicker green line for the first two thirds that blends into the purple tail;
And finally it has a vibrant blue top from the 500 plug;
Fire-eye nose.

The idea behind it was to make it colour shifting, and it does so very nicely when rotated in the hand.

The only additional ask I would have for Tomic in my restocking order would be to have all the colours including the glow belly be painted in a scale pattern.

Nevertheless, am very happy with both how it looks and how it fishes.
Some really neat colour shifts out there, been pretty popular recently! This is one of my prototypes I've been mucking around with, the purple/gold is all the same paint just with different base coats underneath

Attachments

• 20240418_212054.jpg
    20240418_212054.jpg
    521.2 KB · Views: 37
Some really neat colour shifts out there, been pretty popular recently! This is one of my prototypes I've been mucking around with, the purple/gold is all the same paint just with different base coats underneath

I just went looking for a set of paints I looked at one day to ask you if you were using the same. Either I didn’t search through enough lines, or this market has grown drastically; I can’t find the ones I was eyeballing through how many paints came back in my search.

They’re really neat. A hobby I wouldn’t mind playing around with.

I just went looking for a set of paints I looked at one day to ask you if you were using the same. Either I didn’t search through enough lines, or this market has grown drastically; I can’t find the ones I was eyeballing through how many paints came back in my search.

They’re really neat. A hobby I wouldn’t mind playing around with.
It's a slippery slope with endless combinations.. Frankly in the real world colour makes very little difference at the depth the vast majority of anglers fish at with downriggers, especially in the summer the only visible spectrums past 150' are greens, blues, and UV. Shade, vibrance, and contrast are much more important considerations but not nearly as important as just fishing where the fish are! 🤣

It's a slippery slope with endless combinations.. Frankly in the real world colour makes very little difference at the depth the vast majority of anglers fish at with downriggers, especially in the summer the only visible spectrums past 150' are greens, blues, and UV. Shade, vibrance, and contrast are much more important considerations but not nearly as important as just fishing where the fish are! 🤣

I agree. There is too much emphasis around colour, but there wouldn’t be as much gear for companies to sell.

I really like this explanation: the “Right Fly Formula”

1) First priority being to match the size.
2) Second being the shape/movement of the lure.
3) Only at stage three, iff and only then, would it be necessary to consider colour as a player.

As you said, there better be fish present, and lures be in their zone, else lures are simply being washed.

I agree. There is too much emphasis around colour, but there wouldn’t be as much gear for companies to sell.

I really like this explanation: the “Right Fly Formula”

1) First priority being to match the size.
2) Second being the shape/movement of the lure.
3) Only at stage three, iff and only then, would it be necessary to consider colour as a player.

As you said, there better be fish present, and lures be in their zone, else lures are simply being washed.
Exactly. The vast majority notice my finish first however I've spent the majority of development time on action in consultation with avid anglers, guides, biologists, and my own experience. The action I've ended up with does vary from plug to plug due to a variety of factors but regardless of that has still outfished everything else for salmon of any size I've had on the other side (yes I know you could put a sabiki down and catch more of something but that's not the point). After 11 prototypes I'm happy with the performance but will always be testing and tweaking as new feedback and information comes to light. The action is to catch the fish and the overly fancy paint is to catch the fishermen, but who doesnt love a pretty plug?!

Hi Northfish what did you use for the clearcoat finish on your plugs
Proprietary process 😉

Attachments

• 20240416_230148.jpg
    20240416_230148.jpg
    457.7 KB · Views: 23
Back