You can’t give the same fish to different people.

OldBlackDog

From Bob Hooton’s site.

A compelling article by author John Robson and published in the National Post almost 16 months ago. Substitute salmon and steelhead in British Columbia for lobsters in Nova Scotia and what have we got?

John Robson: You can't give the same fish to different people. But the government tries to. Our elites sincerely mean to give aboriginals traditional rights to the same water they also want to keep under the existing fishery

John Robson
October 17, 2017
11:50 AM EDT

The Nova Scotia aboriginal lobster fishery dispute has bad governance written all over it. Broken promises, unclear rules, a breakdown of trust, even extralegal violence. But look deeper and you’ll find even worse governance.

Aboriginals are frustrated that negotiations with the federal government for a clear permanent settlement, here as elsewhere, are taking forever to get nowhere. Non-aboriginals are frustrated that the law seems both unequal and unenforced. And behind this practical mess, as usual, lies a conceptual one.

The problem began, in the narrow sense, with the classic 1999 Supreme Court ruling R. v Marshall, which held that Mi’ kmaq and Maliseet had and did not have an unlimited right to harvest resources, including eels. And let me emphasize here that, contrary to common usage in which “the government” wins or loses in court, the judiciary is a branch of government.

Behind this practical mass lies a conceptual one that in this case tripped over its own feet. In its initial September 1999 ruling, the court seemed to grant what many aboriginal activists want and expect, namely exemption from Canadian law under nation-to-nation treaties that predate Confederation. But when people realized what the court had said, including its own members, it issued a hasty “clarification” two months later that, in fact, aboriginals were not exempt from Canadian law.

Aboriginals naturally felt betrayed. And the situation has gotten worse since. As the Post just noted about the increasingly acrimonious lobster fishery question, the federal executive branch of government responded to the initial post-Marshall crisis by signing “interim” deals with various aboriginal groups in the Maritimes and Quebec that shovelled money at them to buy fishing gear and licenses. But talks on a permanent settlement have dragged on and on with no end in sight. 

It is possible to ascribe this result to familiar generic failings of government, the glacial pace of its impenetrable processes due to perverse incentives. In private life, time is money. In government, it’s not, because nobody is risking their own assets. Nobody from Justin Trudeau to the humblest clerk will lose their mortgaged house if interest payments on the national debt become unmanageable. And prosecutors and judges get paid every day a court case drags on, unlike defendants or plaintiffs. (Typically, the 1999 Marshall decision concerned eels caught and sold in 1993.)

In private life, time is money. In government, it is not.
So aboriginals might think it’s just the same old same old. High-sounding promises, endless “Meegwetches” and “we’re on traditional territory” from politicians, but at the negotiating table all maze and no cheese. Like oil companies with pipelines. Everybody gets it. Right?
Were it so it would still be inexcusable, especially with so much at stake. But it’s not. And here I emphasize again that the court is part of “the government,” because its behaviour over aboriginal fisheries exemplifies the modern style of government that tries to give everything to everybody and is genuinely stunned to find that it can’t. Nowhere is the conceptual mess worse than on the aboriginal file.

Our kindly elites sincerely mean to give aboriginals broad traditional rights to the same water they also intend to keep under the existing fishery. But it just can’t be done, a point understood within the bureaucracy. Thus, the rubber must never hit the road in these negotiations. And that’s not governing.

To govern is to choose. Government is force, and when it makes decisions, some people win, others lose, and if you refuse to go along you go to jail. Which is why government should be restricted to doing only those things it alone can do, and not be expected to do them very well or soothingly. But reaching a clear decision on key aboriginal issues is one thing it must do.
Aboriginals either are, or are not, constitutionally entitled to “self-government,” in the broad sense of being separate polities that make their own fundamental law. You cannot give them Nova Scotia while keeping it for everybody else. Not the fish, not the trees, not the land.
You can give some of it to one group and some to another. And by “some of it” I don’t necessarily mean lines on the ground. You could let people of particular races, however legally defined, catch only so much of this fish at that time of year while others may catch more or at different times. But you can’t give the same fish to two different people.

Governments want to. Politicians want to. Judges want to. And I guess it’s nice in a way that they want everyone to have lots of everything. But the miracle of the loaves and the fishes is not within their capacity. It would be bad enough if they were pretending to think it was. The real problem here is that they do think so.

The result of this high-minded confusion is a breakdown of governance and trust that hurts everyone.

National Post

Last edited:
It’s not that they are giving First Nations anything that’s the problem the problem is they are giving the same resource to multiple groups.That’s what creates the endless battles and problems on both sides.The courts and the government do this because it gets them re-elected.

They are trying to share a resource when the courts have been very clear in some cases that thoes resources belong to First Nations and no one else.The faster they give thoes resorces over to First Nations and make clear they they alone have access to them the better off everyone will be and we can all move forward.

A good example of this is Fraser chinook, thoes remaining fish belong to First Nations and yet are still being exploited first by recreational fishermen in the ocean all year. They are giving thoes few remaining fish left to everyone.

This of course dose not include conservation but we all no the courts and government don’t care about that. They care about votes and Harvesting to zero.

Last edited:
You are not understanding my statement. My statement is "they MUST" give it back. Canada as a government has no choice in the matter, this however will not change privately owned property at the surface.

We are talking about what OBD posted are we not??? The problem isn't that they have not giving the lobster fishery back its that they gave it back but also allow others to harvest the same resource. It is not about sharing the Courts have ruled its theres and no one else's. Then the courts tried to walk back that statement.

ITs not about sharing or shared encomines its theirs, sharing it is an infringement on there rights. Its the government who keeps on infringing on first nations right every time to share a resource that is 100% first nations to begin with.

The child of the state thing tho is the basis of all their current rights and titles, Pretty sure the supreme court has ruled that the crown will always be in control. So for them not to be a child of the state would require a constitional rewrite or for land to be abdicated from the Queen to them, Making them a new nation and not part of canada's constitution. That would be outside the current reconciliation policy. That as you said would be something Forced upon Canada by the UN. May happen one day, The Liberal government seems favorable to that kind of thing.

Last edited:
ITs not about sharing or shared encomines its theirs, sharing it is an infringement on there rights. Its the government who keeps on infringing on first nations right every time to share a resource that is 100% first nations to begin with.

The big issue with First Nations though is that they were not one nation. They were not unified they were nations upon nations in constant war with each other. I'm not sure how any of this could be managed under that type of structure. And forget about them ever agreeing on anything they can't hold elections on the reserves without major conflict. The resources of a nation have to be managed for all people, whether they like it or not Europeans are hear, they built this country to what it is, I can't imagine it being given up with out a fight. That may be what it takes to settle this once and for all,, so be it.

The big issue with First Nations though is that they were not one nation. They were not unified they were nations upon nations in constant war with each other. I'm not sure how any of this could be managed under that type of structure. And forget about them ever agreeing on anything they can't hold elections on the reserves without major conflict. The resources of a nation have to be managed for all people, whether they like it or not Europeans are hear, they built this country to what it is, I can't imagine it being given up with out a fight. That may be what it takes to settle this once and for all,, so be it.

11% of canada land is privately owned, The rest is crown land. Resources as well are administered by the crown.

https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/who-owns-all-the-land-in-canada.html

Seems to me that leaves 89% on the table for negotiations as well as all resources

No political party tho is going to go down that route tho, AS stormtrooper says UN mandate.

Yes I'm aware of this wildmanyeah, but again under our First Nations social structure they were not a unified nation, they were many nations that type of structure will not work in today's society it would be chaos to say the least. People in different parts of this country think a little different than they do in the cities, they aren't afraid to defend what is felt theirs,, trust me. Federal government be damned, it would get messy.

Interesting times for sure.

But I don't want to get another one going, for me it's not a topic for this forum, too political, always takes a bad turn.

Last edited:
Just as in France, if the people feel their government is going off the rails then they can as they did there revolt or vote all the government out.

That is some of the reasons this article addresses.

Also as noted, they the FN do not agree with each other. Further lots do not agree with their own system that a few get a lot and the rest next to nothing.

Nothing is simple!

You are not understanding my statement. My statement is "they MUST" give it back. Canada as a government has no choice in the matter, this however will not change privately owned property at the surface.

As a side note here is a simplified extension of how aboriginal funding at this stage works and why it was implemented over history. (This is not meant for you @wildmanyeah as you already know this. It is for the benefit to them who don't know)
It's a starting point of educating the how's and why's that Canada and indigenous people are going through this process of self determination and self government. Once you understand this, you can start to work on knowing the rest. First Nations people are done with being forced into being a "Child of the State", it is time to build Nation(FN) to Nation(Canada) shared economies.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/how-does-native-funding-work-1.1301120

Just as in France, if the people feel their government is going off the rails then they can as they did there revolt or vote all the government out.

That is some of the reasons this article addresses.

Also as noted, they the FN do not agree with each other. Further lots do not agree with their own system that a few get a lot and the rest next to nothing.

Nothing is simple!

Shoot they can't even agree on who's in power when they have elected leaders lol. Look at the fiasco taking place over the west coast gas line. He's trying to tell us they'll agree across the whole nation on who's going to take control of the natural resources, that's a joke. I drive by my local reserve every time to go to town, there's signs up all over as to whether or not the local chiefs position is official. Yet band to band nation to nation will agree forget it.

And this UN you speak of stepping in to stop the un rest is this the same UN that has bungled just about every mission they have ever been sent on, you think the US will side with the UN or people fighting for the right to preserve their way of life. Your feeding way more info in to this than should be. First Nations had a chance to vote on self governance a few years back, the majority voted against it, they know a gift horse when they see it. They were unorganized and unable to unite 300 years ago and hold their nations together,, nothing had changed today.

They can't even be honest and transparent with their own families on the reserves. Our previous government passed legislation requiring councils to open their book so that members of the reserves could have a look at the books and see where the money was going. As soon as puppet boy got in they removed that legislation so they could hide and lie to their own people, within their reserves, these are the people you say will unite nation to nation,, get a grip man.

Last edited:
Shoot they can't even agree on who's in power when they have elected leaders lol.

ether can we it's called the opposition. When you see all the hereditary chiefs come out of the woodwork it's usually because they are trying to make a name for themselves for future council positions. This is similar to say the conservative leader coming out and talking against the current liberal government. Tying to get support for future elections. Media does not understand FN politics, even the experts they bring on are terrible at understanding it sometimes. One of the Haida leeders did a good job on explaining this one day when I was listening to the radio.

This is not a bad read

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/elected-vs-he...ifference-in-indigenous-communities-1.4247466

stormtrooper is obviously the resident expect so i defer to him for his expertise

Last edited:
You know what boys,, there are more First Nations people's in this country than just what there is on that island and on that coast, shocker to some of you I know. Again I tell you, the world does not end at the edge of that rock. Many, many of our First Nations are more than happy with the arangements that have been made with companies and provinces. More and more every day are getting with the program and benitting from it. They alone are pulling their people out of the past and taking control of their future, not by hand outs but by hard work and self achievement. Many reserves in the central provinces are already in control of their resources, they have made arrangements with companies to extract resources what makes you think they want to risk these deals. They are not all un happy so what prey tell makes you think they would unite, under what mandate would they unite.

Another scenario I want to ask you. If said civil unrest erupted within the central provinces do you honestly think that the US government and companies which have huge investment in Canadian resources through oil and gas, forest companies and mining companies and WATER do you think for a minute they would let the UN or anybody else come in and put their interests and arrangements in jeopardy. Canada runs on US money and US companies do you think they would side with the people trying to fight for that right to hold those resources in place and the companies they have aragments with in place or lose all of those rights to those resources and companies. Think about that for a minute. Screw the UN thats a joke and if you think the US is going to risk losing their access to these resources well,, look at Iraq !!!

... The problem now becomes bigger than all of us whereby the UN can now mobilize and step into our country in six weeks or less to help settle issues and stop public unrest by force.

Be one hell of a mess were they to even attempt to do so.
Canadians simply would not tolerate it.
By ourselves we could, and would stop any such nonsense.
And the US as well as many other allies would back our play.
Foolish thoughts here...

Nog

They alone are pulling their people out of the past and taking control of their future, not by hand outs but by hard work and self achievement. Many reserves in the central provinces are already in control of their resources, they have made arrangements with companies to extract resources what makes you think they want to risk these deals.

Pay for access, you want that for salmon?

Please don't think I'm atacking you guys personally that's not my intent nor am I attacking any First Nations people's, we are just having an open debate on an issue that's all.

Please don't think I'm atacking you guys personally that's not my intent nor am I attacking any First Nations people's, we are just having an open debate on an issue that's all.

I don't take it personally you would be hard pressed to go to any small town and talk to a farmer, logger, fisher or miner who wouldn't share the same thoughts as your own.

Problem is the city folks that control everything and the basis of support for the Lib Terd government we have.

I am quite fine living my life as it is. Let's go fishin'. :)

On this we will agree,, except it's fricken -27 here and a 30k wind blowing so tough for me to go out lol. Maybe next week.

Thanks for the debate.

Back