Yamaha Tiller Handle Seized

Ryan A

Anyone else had this problem? I’ve been noticing it getting worse throughout the years, always spraying it with WD and getting it moving again with a horrendous shreak, over this last winter I can’t even budge it now, heated the **** out of it but nothing…any help appreciated

Just had to rebuild the hinge joint on the tiller arm. 9.9 Yamaha it rusted to pieces and basically fell apart.

Anyone else had this problem? I’ve been noticing it getting worse throughout the years, always spraying it with WD and getting it moving again with a horrendous shreak, over this last winter I can’t even budge it now, heated the **** out of it but nothing…any help appreciated
If you can get the nut off for the tiller arm, disassemble then clean all the corrosion and reassmble with non seize

I have the same problem, lubricate all moving parts with marine grease, I use lithium grease spray on cables and hard to reach, moving parts. I have an old Merc. and it has a rubber boot on one side to access a manual shift spot where I can put a wrench and shift the kicker after i disable the tiller linkage. My problem is in this area and load it with lithium grease regularly. Other wise Youtube it.

I have that problem on my 2006 Yamaha 6. Got it used and it was already pretty sticky. Now it's completely seized. It's permanently in the up position which happens to be how it's needs to be on my Double Eagle anyway, so I've just left it.

I have that problem on my 2006 Yamaha 6. Got it used and it was already pretty sticky. Now it's completely seized. It's permanently in the up position which happens to be how it's needs to be on my Double Eagle anyway, so I've just left it.
Sure seems to be a lot of corrosion problems with Yamaha in all HP ranges

Back