WTF-- Early herring Fishery in the Gulf

might be good idea to do a little more research before you fly off the handle.

Yes they approved 6000 tons to be havested. Now ask the question how much will be taken.

Every boat that had a herring seine licenses on it in 2011 is eligable for the fishery. That would be the long list of boats posted earlier. To the best of my knowledge there are only 4 boats going from CFC. also if you read the list there are boats on there that are dedidcated longliners and have never and will never catch herring as they are not even plumbed for a drum..

The fish that are being harvested are old enough to produce eggs but have not yet started(they begin egg development in the new year). Lastly it is a food fishery so the herring cannot be sold as bait. there are already designated licenses for that purpose.

Way to go with the sky is falling once again...

Who the frick cares where its going or what its used for....

The point IMO is that the DFO has gave the ok for 6,000 less tons of herrring to be in the ocean that already has depleted stocks. The sky is falling. Unfortunetaly most people won't know what happened until the sky is on top of them.

might be good idea to do a little more research before you fly off the handle.

Yes they approved 6000 tons to be havested. Now ask the question how much will be taken.

Every boat that had a herring seine licenses on it in 2011 is eligable for the fishery. That would be the long list of boats posted earlier. To the best of my knowledge there are only 4 boats going from CFC. also if you read the list there are boats on there that are dedidcated longliners and have never and will never catch herring as they are not even plumbed for a drum..

The fish that are being harvested are old enough to produce eggs but have not yet started(they begin egg development in the new year). Lastly it is a food fishery so the herring cannot be sold as bait. there are already designated licenses for that purpose.

Way to go with the sky is falling once again...

If the boat can't fish for herring why did enter into the lottery? Could it be the captain would like to sub out his winnings to another boat for cash? Would this be normal to have the quota set at 6000 tons when they only mean to take 300 tons?

Was down at the river today with a bunch of fishermen. When they heard the news most were speechless. Others had words that I can't repeat here in public. Let's just say that the commercial fishing sector looks greedy, once again, and they look like they have no interest in showing the public that they care for this public resource.
GLG

To the best of my knowledge there are only 4 boats going from CFC. also if you read the list there are boats on there that are dedidcated longliners and have never and will never catch herring as they are not even plumbed for a drum..

Who cares if there is 1 boat taking all 6000 tons or 100 boats taking 6000 tons. The matter of fact is that 6000 tons, if even there, will wipe out a fish stock.

Who cares if there is 1 boat taking all 6000 tons or 100 boats taking 6000 tons. The matter of fact is that 6000 tons, if even there, will wipe out a fish stock.

The point is the fish was already part of the 2012 tac. So there is no increase. They are trying to develope different markets with the same fish just a little earlier in the year.

The point is the fish was already part of the 2012 tac. So there is no increase. They are trying to develope different markets with the same fish just a little earlier in the year.
2011 TAC was under 300 tons?
2012 TAC is 6000 tons.
How can you say there was no increase?
GLG

Hey might as well start from the bottom up, there's an effective way to destroy the food chain. Whatever the TAC, maybe we should think of actually protecting keystone species such as herring.....weird thought I know.

Hey might as well start from the bottom up, there's an effective way to destroy the food chain. Whatever the TAC, maybe we should think of actually protecting keystone species such as herring.....weird thought I know.

Absolutely we should protect the fish, the inside ECVI has been dead for years due to the lack of groceries for the fish to eat - how many of you are willing to stop using bait in order to make a stand? I know, I know, terrible suggestion, but it may come to that in the future if you really want to keep our waters vibrant and full of life. So many marine creatures depend on healthy herring stocks to eat and survive. We should have seen this coming last year when companies were telling roe fisherman not to buy licenses. At that time we all thought that it was a bad market, but now when you review it all in retrospect, it seems like an indicator that we all missed.

DHA

2011 TAC was under 300 tons?
2012 TAC is 6000 tons.
How can you say there was no increase?
GLG

because they reduced the 2012 roe herring fishery tac by 6000 tons. there is no increase it is a wash the fish was slated to be harvested in march but industry has decided to take some of it earlier.

Because the openning is usually small in March, the weather can play a big part and they do not always take the TAC. Over the last number of years the roe price has dropped and the flood of herring to market drives that price down as well. However by changing when they can take it they will harvest the allowable and as usual more and they will be able to keep the price of herring higher rather than a low to high fluctuation. Unfortunately there is a market to use this catch and so they go ahead. If people did not buy it and the price dropped they would change back to taking it during the roe season because they are taking it for the roe and higher catch value and the herring becomes bycatch.

The point apparently missed by F4All is that the RESIDENT herring are nowhere near as abundant as the offshore stocks, and therefor DFO and industry is playing russian roulette with those stocks by deliberately turning the fleet on them at a time when everything possible should be done to protect them. The early timing of this fishery endangers who knows how many resident stocks that, not that many years ago, DFO questioned if they even existed!!

Personally, I think that the 20% exploitation rate for herring, in general, is too high. But when DFO Science cannot tell exactly how many resident stocks we have in BC, and what size they are (but they do know that they are extinct in many areas they used to live in) its stupid to extend the fishery as they will intercept the residents . In fact, industry will TARGET those stocks as they are superior "food" fish.

Just a question here, I didnt live in Comox Valley when there were supposedly tons of Coho frequenting these waters. When did the Herring Fishery start here? Is there any connection here to when the Coho dissapeared to the timing of the first Commercial Herring Fishery openings? Kinda makes you wonder. Last yr didnt they close the Herring fishery because of the Japenese earthquake? No market. so this yr theres a market for more??

Our biggest issue is that we are fighting against the demand of the international market. We have a government that has embassies and sends out envoys to develop markets for our products such as oil, fish, minerals, wood and other materials that aquiring to export create ecological problems. The only way to stop this madness is to stop the markets from buying these materials,,,FAT CHANCE. We are a part of the problem, such as if we bought the oil at home there would be no need to ship it out, no pipeline, no tankers. Then we are responsible for the oilsands environmental disaster. Can we run our boats and autos and other toys without fuel, or are we willing to not use them? I do not think so, even the lousy DFO is a product of our needs. This is a lot of blame to accept but if we want change it has to start somewhere, as for myself I am not willing to paddle my boat from Rupert to Dundas or am I willing to cut my lawn by hand or many other things we are use to using some kind of fuel for. We like to buy our produce at places like Overwaitea so we support Pattison in his quest to become super rich while cutting us from getting a full season of halibut fishing because he owns quota that was once ours.
In a nutshell we are all responsible in some way for our issues. We have famous people telling us to find greener ways of transportation but I have yet to see them on public transportation. I do not expect to have as much as those a** hOles but I am not willing to sacrifice to make them feel great! I accept the responsibility for some of the situation we are in but fully realize that I am not alone.
Where do we go from here?

Yep on greased skids!

Pretty much all of the herring is being taken off Qualicum right now. One company boat is already over 300 tons so far. It sounds like the seine fleet will get all of the quota that was allocated for this fishery. I wonder what the effect will be. The size of the school that they are working is enormous and is apparently very early for this time of year.

DHA.

Looks to me like DFO isn't capable of reading history books and learning from the past....doesn't this sound a lot like the demise of the East Coast cod fishery? If we could only learn from history, and not repeat the bad stuff. This is simply bad. There is no other way to look at it. Those poor inside fish are doomed if we keep making these kinds of management decisions.

can anyone confirm

i was told the herring that were harvested at the docks in Steveston, Cancer Charity event ,
, these were large , 7-8 inch , even a few close ta 9in. lol , a few guys that seemed quite knowledgeable , said that these were migratory herring ,most likely heading to WCVI , based on the size ??

Resident herring are typically alot smaller this time of year ? they indicated

the herriing caught for this event were caught at 7am Sunday ,the day i was there ,
gonna assume caught fairly close to Steveston..

curious is all ?? anyone ??

thx

FD

Pretty much all of the herring is being taken off Qualicum right now. One company boat is already over 300 tons so far. It sounds like the seine fleet will get all of the quota that was allocated for this fishery. I wonder what the effect will be. The size of the school that they are working is enormous and is apparently very early for this time of year.

DHA.

those f@#$ers, that's all I can say

Back