WTB Scotty digital line counter

sly_karma

Crew Member
Hi folks, where can I buy line counter modules for Scotty hi power downriggers? Online search unusually leab, all Canadian vendors out of stock.

are you calling or emailing them ?? my email address for Scotty doesn't seem to work for them any more , did it change??
info@scotty.com
Call them. The counters are a problem I believe they're trying to work the kinks out of, not sure how old yours is but they have an updated verstion, that still has problems from time to time. Scotty customer service is unparalleled imo...

I had manual counters installed on my HP downriggers. Last trip the digital counter stopped working so I just popped the plug out of the lid and could see the manual counter and continued fishing. You just have to install the old style counter gear and the counter onto the HP main drive, same as the 1106 have. Then drill a 1 inch hole in the HP lid, just above the counter. Then plug the 1 inch hole in the lid with a rubber plug.

The new counters have a replacement battery in them so no more dead counters ,just one AA battery

I bought my last spare counter on August 5 at River Sportsman and paid $90 plus tax, and exchanged my old counter that was under warranty. Apparently this new counter was the new improved anti fogging replacement with the battery and blue light. I will be heading back soon for another replacement counter as this new improved counter has fogged up too after this weekends heavy rain. I couldnt read the numbers but the light still works.....

I must have the old style counters because they are completely sealed, no way to replace a battery. I figured they must have a watch battery that would run out after a few years anyway and assumed this was a wear item. But sounds like I should be contacting Scotty for replacements. Thanks to all who responded.

The charter boats out of Granville Island have grafted the analog counters onto the new hi speed downriggers. I suppose they tired of changing them which would be a drag when running charters and needing accurate read-outs.

One of the counters in our two brand new 2106 died in Campbell river and Tyee had just sold the last ones that day. Let’s just say it was very disappointing to be fishing blind on one side while on holidays and I kick myself for not bringing one of my old manuals. I tried going down slow and counting the rotations but that didn’t work so well with a chatty crew breaking my concentration. I hope they figure it out quickly. These down riggers aren’t cheap and I was expecting better to be honest.

Would going slow and watching the ball go down on the sounder not work in an emergency to get a depth? After that you could put marks on the cable/braid at 50/100/150 etc with felt pen or whatever.

Would going slow and watching the ball go down on the sounder not work in an emergency to get a depth? After that you could put marks on the cable/braid at 50/100/150 etc with felt pen or whatever.
You could attach (if you have one) a rod with a Penn reel or similar with a counter to the rigger line with a clip and track the depth, then release out of the clip and do the other side. Use the usual rod and reels of course for your gear.

I filed a small notch in my spool once in a pinch . Counted the " ticks " on my finger, worked not too bad....

I've had these riggers for five years and have had zero issues with counters until now. Boat lives in a carport in the dry Okanagan, doesn't see much moisture so I haven't had the fogging problems others have mentioned. These counters failed within days of each other - likely battery depletion; I wouldn't characterise this as a premature fail. I had one spare and a kind forum member express mailed me one of their spares. I can usually see my starboard cannonball on sonar so I put the new counter on the port side, got me a few more sockeye that day. New ones are now on order from Scotty.

Back