WTB fishing/cruising boat

Adler

A week ago, we went out on a charter in Bamfield and had a blast. It was enough to convince a family member with property up the Sunshine Coast to buy his own boat. So we are now on the hunt, and had a good discussion in needs and wants around the campfire. The gist if it is we are looking for a boat that meets several needs, from fishing the West Coast to family cruising.

Needs:
- good cruiser boat that can visit the many inlets and islands up and down the sunshine coast and beyond
- insider seating area for family, some cooking, while fishing
- Seating for at least 6, ideally 8 people.
- easy embarking/disembarking at beaches, and a small tender to go to shore from anchor, ideally stored on top, not out back.
- a fishing machine, able to go offshore to the banks off Uke/Bam.
- we discovered the benefits of fishing with stearing/control at the back of the boat. That would be great, considered a need.

There are several wants, but the main two are:
- sleeping capability for 2, ideally 4
- ready to go, fully rigged.

One thing i was thinking is that a good used guide boat, all rigged up, would be perfect, and maybe someone will be looking to change their rigs after the summer season. No rush on this.

Budget of course plays a role. $60-80k, depending on how many of those needs/wants it hits, and age.

So what kind of boat would you suggest? And share with us any good boats for sale you see, on the Sunshine Coast, the mainland, Vanisle, and beyond perhaps. Cheers!

I would strongly recommend looking at a 24' or 255 Monaro, it will fit every need you have just listed and used ones in good shape are in your price range:

http://www.monaromarine.com

We had a 21' Monaro for 11 years and sold it last year, amazing boat that for your needs might be a bit small which is why the 24 or 255 might be perfect. They are custom built in Richmond, you can even stop by there and see many of the benefits of a Monaro.

Good luck!

Thanks for the thoughts so far - the Sea Sports would be great, but would have to be lower in price to make this work. The Grady White is interesting, but while looking at boats today, we came to the conclusion that we will add another "want" (at least for now) - an enclosed cabin. We boat with kids on board, and being able to protect them from the elements is key. Who am I kidding....the parents appreciate that too.

We saw a great looking boat last week up in Bamfield, but unfortunately I didn't stop long enough to write down any info on it. Looked like a Campion, with enclosed cabin, a dingy sitting on top, and I counted 6 seats. I've been on the Campion site and see some possibilities there, like the 682 or 822, but few used ones so far.

The Monaro's are of interest for sure, we'll keep our eyes out for those.

Two boats that we noted earlier today on Craigslist are:

https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/rch/boa/d/seaswirl-sport-cabin-with/6175302590.html

https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/van/boa/d/reduced-arima-sea-legend/6235360756.html

The research will continue, but any thoughts on either of those? Wondering what the Arima like that goes for new....have to contact a dealer.

Thanks again!

That Arima would be right around 100k new is my guess. Outfitted as it sits. I had 2 Arimas myself. If you could make it work size wise, you will live the fuel economy and reliability of that setup. Not sure it would be big enough with the amount of people you are looking to have on board. Not a fan of in boards but that striper looks reasonable. Considering it has new power.

The Ospreys with a diesel are a good boat for you to look at within your budget. I would look at ones with the long cabin though as it is a little tight inside with the short cabin. The add for this one pretty much tells you the truth from my perspective. Friend had one like this for years and both cruised the coast and fished with it. He put a Walker dingy on the roof for beach access and the diesel was very reasonable to run.

For your needs and if your not towing it those, Commanders and also a Bayliner 2858. I believe Tenmile had a nice Bayliner 2858 that he fished out of with his family. To get the seating and sleeping you want and a enclosed cabin you need the get into the 26-28ft size boat. Once you get in to that size boat, they are not to trailerable, but it is possible. My 23ft Hourston is really only a 3 person boat if you talking seating and sleeping as are most boats that size.
http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1997/Bayliner-2858-Ciera-3102987/Ladysmith/Canada#.WX-mPIjyvDc
http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2000/Bayliner-2858-Ciera-Classic-3059687/Duncan/Canada#.WX-mkIjyvDc

Some great options there, particularly like the Monaro. Must clarify though....it's the two fishing dads looking for a boat, the voting wife will only support if it can do the necessary cruising. So a fishing boat first, cruising second, but must be able to tour and cruise with most of our families. And we've got 2 families with 2 growing kids per, thus the 8 people.

Dont think the boats with a tender on the rear work well as fishing boats, would rather have it on top.

Agree, provably something near 25 feet should do the trick....Maybe a bit more.

Some great thoughts and options, thanks for sharing.

Really only need the tender if cruising,I leave it at the dock or home when not cruising. If I do bring it we tie it along side when trolling if I have to.

As an update, we moved a little faster than initially anticipated, and now have a great boat. We recieved some great feedback above and via private messages, thanks to one member in particular who recommended the Trophy 2359, and after a couple test rides, we acted pretty fast to scoop one up in Victoria. A great purchase, and we've spent some solid time getting to know the boat up the Sunshine Coast over the last week. Thanks again for all the comments!

Back