WTB: chartplotter/depth sounder

I am looking at these units in the new Westmarine catalogue...which by the way is pretty impressive for a free catalogue. It has a lot of good info on boating in general and explanation about what all the features mean on these gizmos.

My GPS/FF wishlist:
Internal GPS antenna (can anyone confirm, does it shoot effectively through canvas?)
Dual beam transducer: better resolution for deep fishing
In-hull transducer: if it works well, avoid drilling holes in boat
Higher power transducer: prefer 300w rms and above
Capability to input charts, not just maps.

I'll sacrifice screen size and colour for better functions, if it means a price that works for me.

From what I can see, the Humminbird 383c is the best buy for my constraints, at $399. Compare to Lowrance M68c, also $399, but 100w power, single beam transducer.

The question: anyone have experience with this Humminbird unit? Or with Humminbird GPS in general? I have had a Humminbird FF before, seemed to be ok for a simple one.

Any comments or suggestions?

quote:Originally posted by Time

Giterdone
How did you get West down so low?????

And apologies for hijacking.
With some very creative discounting.

tell them you bought a new boat and sign up for the west advantage program and I think gives you a 20% reduction right there.

Get a Lowrance LMS-527C that would give you everything you are wanting in that list!!!

quote:Originally posted by Gone Fishn

Get a Lowrance LMS-527C that would give you everything you are wanting in that list!!!

yep, that's the one that keeps staring at me out of that westmarine catalogue. Although $699 for the unit plus $200 for the chip is well into the land of "ouch".

Hmmm...

Also, got the flyer for their "new boat owner" deal, says 10% for purchases, 5% for electronics. Know how to bump this up to 20%? That would go a long way.

You get a job with them and get an "employee" discount.
Quit in couple of days :D

email sent!!!!
quote:Originally posted by Poe

quote:Originally posted by Poppa Swiss

i was looking at the Garmin yesteday and they have some awesome units. Totally easy to use and some pretty cool 3d and arial mapping features.

I'm looking that Garmin 520 - anybody have one?

I have the Lowrance LMS 520c (very similar)and I am impressed with it other than it is single frequency. It has the ability to link with remote trolling motors, a VHF in an emergency will transmit my location, and I can add radar to this without upgrading the entire unit.

Due to unfortunate circumstances I may be forced to sell this if anyone is interested.

Back