WTB Braided DR line

jaymasta

Hey guys I am going to be purchasing braided line to replace the Stainless stuff, just thought I would post and see if anyone has any they are wanting to sell before I go and buy it from the store. Looking for around 2 125+ft lengths
Will be buying it this weekend so you have until Saturday 4th to respond.
Thanks

I just bought 2X450ft rolls of 200#Power Pro from Gone Fishing yesterday for $52 each. It was cheaper then bulk line any where in town. Hoping to test it out today.

I'd buy double what you are thinking cause the drag is pathetic with that stuff. I'd think twice on using it. Everyone I know that has used it has switched back

You are probably thinking of the Scotty braided. The Power Pro stuff is way thinner and has very low drag. I've had the Power Pro on my riggers for 3 seasons now and would never go back to wire.
I did try the Scotty stuff first and it was brutal. Like having rope on the rigger,drag was very bad. One trip out with that stuff and off it came.

Braided is the only way to go. I have used the 250# Scotty for the last 3-4 years and got to know how to fish it. Now though I bought Power Pro for the first time. I will never go back to stainless.

I've been using powerpro for about 3 years now, and no problems.
easy to tie knots with, no fraying, no crimps.
I also would never go back to wire.

I'd buy double what you are thinking cause the drag is pathetic with that stuff.
130-150lb is perfect with a tiny diameter that slices through the water - I never understood why guys go with 200-250lb braid, you could anchor with that stuff!

375' of 175lb. Power Pro on each one of mine, only because I couldn't get the 200lb. when I changed over!

I bought a 200lb - 500 yd spool 3 years ago for $92 US (inc. shipping). I have never had a problem with it and will never go back to cable. Check out All Tackle a 200lb - 500 yd spool will cost you around $110 plus shipping.

http://www.alltackle.com/power_pro.htm

Good luck.

130-150lb is perfect with a tiny diameter that slices through the water - I never understood why guys go with 200-250lb braid, you could anchor with that stuff!

I have heard that if you run light line you need to run bungies as when you let your brake handle go the force can snap your line. Secondly thinner line has less strands. So if 200# has 8-10 strands what would 130-150# have? If one strian breaks what is the strenght of you line now? I would never think of using less then 175# line. I went with 200# myself. If your line is to light best bring extra line and lead with you.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have heard that if you run light line you need to run bungies as when you let your brake handle go the force can snap your line.
Lol come on, thats crazy talk. If you're putting more then 130lbs of pressure on your downrigger system, you're doing it wrong ;)

I've never had a break with braid in the 4 years I've been using but don't take my word for it, you could actually try it before making up your mind?

Lol come on, thats crazy talk. If you're putting more then 130lbs of pressure on your downrigger system, you're doing it wrong ;)

I've never had a break with braid in the 4 years I've been using but don't take my word for it, you could actually try it before making up your mind?

I wanted to buy light line just the other day and there it was on the shelf. I was told not to due to breakage. You go out and drop a 15# ball 200feet then drop the brake let me know what happens..

Anyone else want to speak on this topic? It was strange to me but when they talked strands and over all strength I had to agree.

It's not rocket science.

sounds like you got talked into buying a more expensive product ;) - its not rocket science :p

You go out and drop a 15# ball 200feet then drop the brake let me know what happens..

I just did, been using it for 4 years - seems like you're the one that needs to try it. But hey what ever works for ya, I don't care if you want to use deep six planers to get your gear down as long as you're getting down.

Last edited by a moderator:
sounds like you got talked into buying a more expensive product ;) - its not rocket science :p

I just did, been using it for 4 years - seems like you're the one that needs to try it. But hey what ever works for ya, I don't care if you want to use deep six planers to get your gear down as long as you're getting down.

OK....What ever you say.

I asked for others to voice in not you don't take that the wrong way. Already heard what you had to say. I have already heard from other local fishermen about this matter that is why I want to hear more about this.

Back