WOW

There held up by a rope
It is just like pic taken today. Hold the fish closest to the camera.

Guys catching really big fish stand beside or closer to show how big, if large they will stand behind them with their arms reaching towards the camera to show the fish is bigger than a comparison.

other little things, phot cropped at top, hand size versus fish the only close measure, I figure the fish are 40 inches long at best and 20 or so inches across. There is some formula for that i think.

A REAL WHOPPER of a fish story

It is just like pic taken today. Hold the fish closest to the camera.

Guys catching really big fish stand beside or closer to show how big, if large they will stand behind them with their arms reaching towards the camera to show the fish is bigger than a comparison.

other little things, phot cropped at top, hand size versus fish the only close measure, I figure the fish are 40 inches long at best and 20 or so inches across. There is some formula for that i think.

A REAL WHOPPER of a fish story
EDBD7CA9-CAAF-4D1B-AC68-1AB6EEE622DC.jpeg

110 lbs , don’t know the whole back story to the fish , just that it was taken in some sort of net on the Kalum years ago. Don’t know why you are so hesitant to believe that there were fish of this size in years past. Could not imagine what that fish would have looked like in its ocean prime .

View attachment 83229

110 lbs , don’t know the whole back story to the fish , just that it was taken in some sort of net on the Kalum years ago. Don’t know why you are so hesitant to believe that there were fish of this size in years past. Could not imagine what that fish would have looked like in its ocean prime .
Amazes me these old fish survive the 5+ years the ocean gauntlet throws at them

Amazes me these old fish survive the 5+ years the ocean gauntlet throws at them
yyep. survived seals, orcas, commercial boats sporties, but it can’t survive the nets in the river….

i only hope this was intentional for brood stock like the Percy Walkus monsters

View attachment 83229

I stand in shame.

Just looking up for confirmation and there are several different records, sports, commercial, river, trap, net, .... and yes several monsters even more recently.
The heaviest on record, caught in 1949 in a Petersburg commercial fish trap, weighed an astonishing 126 pounds. The world sport fishing record, a scale-straining lunker of 97 pounds 4 ounces, was hauled from the Kenai River in 1985.

In the afternoon Bernhard caught his own smaller Chinook. This one, however, we took with us. Certainly, we will never forget this fishing day on the Skeena River.
The monster fish with a length of 53.5 inches and a girth of 38.5 using a formula (endorsed by FOC) of Length x Girth squared divided by 800 would weigh 99.125-pounds… clearly the largest Chinook (Kings as the Americans refer to them) ever landed. Along with witnesses a video was taken and a photograph made from the video.

Still catching some.

When I was a kid in Butedale in the early 60’s I saw a Spring that was 100lbs, commercially caught! Thing was a monster and all the seasoned fishermen and processors came to stare in awe. Had its own freezer cart until everyone had a chance to look.

Back