World record Salmon?

KCW

Just wondering what the offical largest chinook is,the 1985 97 lb kenai river or the 2002 99 lb skeena river. What is the largest ocean caught 84 lb hakaii pass?

I was living in Anchorage when that record fish was caught. Took him several hours, if remember correctly. Really interested where, when, and how big a sports caught salmon record caught in salt water is..........BB

97 lbs. 4 oz. - 44.11 kgs Kenai River Alaska USA - 5/17/1985 - Les Anderson - is the official world record chinook according to the IGFA web site.

The 99 lb skeena was measured and released,and the fish from hakai pass was 85.4 lbs not sure if it was the biggest in saltwater.Don't think much of the IGFA if they consider those farm rainbows from sask. as a record, should have a seperate category for them

Wikipedia:
The current sport-caught World Record is 102.5 pounds (46 kg) and was caught in April 2010 by Andrew Gasson in the Skeena River (Old Hazelton, British Columbia). The commercial catch world record is 126 pounds (57 kg) caught near Rivers Inlet British Columbia in the late 70's.[1]

That cant be right?! we would have heard of a salmon caught this month weighing 102.5lbs, and it certainly wouldnt be in a river????????

img3937n.jpg

Cheers All,

The picture of the 126 lbs salmon is on the wall at the General Store in Rivers Inlet. That is one freaky looking fish but the first time I saw it I stood at the counter and drooled for 10 minutes. However I am not quite sure if that came to the boat that I could ever net it as I would be more than intimidated.

Fishing Guide
www.invictuscharters.com
BC Outdoors Pro Staff
www.fishingvancouverisland.org

Originally posted by nedarb2

Wikipedia:
The current sport-caught World Record is 102.5 pounds (46 kg) and was caught in April 2010 by Andrew Gasson in the Skeena River (Old Hazelton, British Columbia). The commercial catch world record is 126 pounds (57 kg) caught near Rivers Inlet British Columbia in the late 70's.[1]

That cant be right?! we would have heard of a salmon caught this month weighing 102.5lbs, and it certainly wouldnt be in a river????????

Didn't think that the 126 in the 70's made sense - I remember it on the front page of one of the fishing magazines as a teen - was definitely mid 80's...

heres the writeup here that seems to confirm the date:
http://www.riversinletresort.com/records.htm

pretty impressive for an 81 pound HATCHERY as well!

i believe the mount of that 126lber is on the wall in the south terminal in van or at least it was last time i was there.

quote:Originally posted by bananas

i believe the mount of that 126lber is on the wall in the south terminal in van or at least it was last time i was there.
Yeah it was around different offices off and on for a number of years haven't seen it for a while now.

Those Sask rainbows are not farmed. They're triploids and I believe they were stocked in Diefenbaker Lake by accident, or to save the fry because the truck had a breakdown.

I'd love to catch one.

Lots of stocking is currently done using triploids to retain the native species without interbreeding...

Brookies on the western slopes lakes, rainbows all over the place, etc...

IGFA goes off the rails accepting largemouth bass form private ponds where the fish are interbred w/Florida strains and shot pellet-feed on schedule and the ponds are selectively-stocked with preferred forage. Those are manufactured fish solely for a world record.

Cheers!

Back