Winter Harbour

C

Cannon Ballz

Heading to Winter Harbour August 1-7th(Kokanee Kruz fishing with the bros.).Fish for Springs and Halis, any help for depths-gear-spots(for Salmon) would be greatly appreciated.Never fished up there before,are we to early?Late?.Your replies are appreciated.

Thanks C-Ballz

im no expert and have never been up there but my friend just got back from there and the weather completely kept him off the water, when he did peek out, he was able to get fish, thankfully he booked about 8 days for that vacation

Are you being guided??
or do it yourself??

Your timing is good, there should be lots of fish around. From Cliffe Pt. in will be closed, but other than that, the lighthouse, Cliffe Pt out, the Highway and Lippy Py should all produce fish, both coho's and springs. The usual will produce, anchovies, cop car spoons, blue green hootchies etc.

SS

Fishing001.jpg

Hey Sitka, We are a bunch of do it yourselfers.Thanks for the tips maybe we'll see you and Serengeti out there. Was wondering is there bait and tackle in Winter Harbour?

Thanks C-Ballz

Happy to hear about the salt wash` er, downer, Running out of bait is one thing running out of Happy pop is a much ,much more serious problem[:([V]. Thanks for the road info Sitka,What Quality or Quantity of Springs can a guy expect that time of the year.

Thanks C-Ballz

I am not to sure as this is my first year fishing the area. Serengetti and a couple of others would be more helpful than I. I would suspect good # of 20's with some 30 and 40's mixed in. The Marble River run has huge fish and they are an Aug fish, along with the mixed stocks from Conuma, Robertson Creek and the US.

Type in Quatsino or Winter Harbour on the seach and you will get lots of info.

I will be fishing there again this weekend and the first weekend in Aug as well. After all it is only 2 hours from my door to Kains Light.

SS

Fishing001.jpg

My old Man has a buddy that owns a camp in Winter harbour. never been up there myself. I've heard it can pound you to death up there but if you can get outside, it's awesome check out the link. It'll give you an idea on conditions etc.
I think he has places to stay as well without required use of boats and guides if you want to do it yourself.

http://www.ridleyfishingcharters.com/

DW

Thanks for the info fella's hopefully get some good pixs to post.

Thanks C-Ballz

Good timing. Outside is my favorite-look for the boats-usually along the 50 fathom mark(300 ft) or deeper-fish 120 to 180 ft of wire -I like anchovies but cop cars and purple haze hootchies work well. I also like cliffe point on the ebb tide and kain on the flood. Look for the bait. tight lines

Biiiiig Bump... Sitka , Serengetti or anyone, any word from the west side? Only 7 sleepless nights left ,starting to chomp @the bit!!!

They are still catching fish, but with the chinook size limit (77 cm)it makes it nessassary to have good weather so you can run off shore, other wise it is a long run for 6 fish on the inside, plus bottom fish. I might be heading out there this weekend, I have been doing so well in Hardy though, that it makes it tough to switch. We will see what the weather brings.

I will let you know if anything changes.

Have a safe trip up.

Cheers

SS

Fishing001.jpg

Just got back from 4 days at winter harbour and wish I had happy news. We did get a 30 and a 12 lb spring plus 9 coho but it was very hard work. Not the sort of fishing I am used to in over 10 years of fishing there 10 or so times a year. The coho are hanging off the tip of Kain island and off of Grants Bay(Lippy point). The Springs are at 160 to 180 ft of wire in 300 ft of water off Lippy Point. Pretty spotty. Halibut was pretty good- caught our new limit pretty quickly and had to release several accidental hook-ups while trolling.I believe the spring fishing is a little better off topknot in deep water. Watch out for the RCA. This could all change of course with the next flood tide. Heading back up Aug 4th

Yup

Just talked to friends of mine and they are taking all day to get a spring limit of six(6) fish. Fishing in deep 300+' and getting them at 100', but only if the weather holds. Calling for Gales tomorrow:(, so looks like fishing the inside, which is not a bad thing.

Hope things change. Maybe there is something to Charlie's Full Moon:D

Cheers

SS

Fishing001.jpg

quote:Originally posted by Sitkaspruce

Yup

Just talked to friends of mine and they are taking all day to get a spring limit of six(6) fish. Fishing in deep 300+' and getting them at 100', but only if the weather holds. Calling for Gales tomorrow:(, so looks like fishing the inside, which is not a bad thing.

Cheers

SS

Been doing this for a LONG time... and there "IS" something to be said about "Charlie's Full Moon", been there... done that! And, you can do good under that "Full Moon", but need to know... when and how to fish it! :)

PS... think tide change and the after noon bite!

quote:Originally posted by Charlie

quote:Originally posted by Sitkaspruce

Yup

Cheers

SS

Been doing this for a LONG time... and there "IS" something to be said about "Charlie's Full Moon", been there... done that! And, you can do good under that "Full Moon", but need to know... when and how to fish it! :)

Yup

I agree with ya Charlie, was not making fun of it. I learned a long time ago about tides, the moon and fish, but still have to learn more as it still sometimes holds me up. Now that the moon has changed,and the tides are swinging smaller, the fishing should stsrt to pick up a bit....

SS

Fishing001.jpg

Yep! :)

Leaving on Monday... Fishing Camper, Logan, Rat's Nose, Southbank, Tofino, Bajo, Ferrer, Pin Rock, and "YES" the Highway all the way up! Yep, Nine days of fishing with the "Right time of year", "Right MOON", and right "Tides"! What more could I ask for?

Wish I had time to fish more spots, but??? Still have to work for a living!!!

Oh... PS...
No moon... early morning bite at the "low"... get there before the sun comes up! Full moon, late morning tides or afternoon tides... "high or low"... sleep in! Catch fish! :D:D:D

Back