Winter Harbour Experiences?

Fished Winter Harbour at least 8-10 times a year from 98 to 2019. A lot of those trips were documented on here. always slept on the boat after the Last resort changed hands from Sonja and Ray. Nothing against the new owner just got a bigger boat and knew all the good anchorages. Epic trips to Cape Scott back in the day when a halibut could top 100 plus. Went through quite a few crew due to age and illness and finally after my crew was gone-I guided for 2 years out of Esperanza and then sold the Orca. I kept logs of the trips-made videos and slide shows to Music of most years. Rainy afternoons with a Scotch is a fun time to look back. We had the best of it!!! Enjoy and document it!!
We truly did have the best of it and i'm grateful

Only around those houses near the government dock.
Fished Winter Harbour at least 8-10 times a year from 98 to 2019. A lot of those trips were documented on here. always slept on the boat after the Last resort changed hands from Sonja and Ray. Nothing against the new owner just got a bigger boat and knew all the good anchorages. Epic trips to Cape Scott back in the day when a halibut could top 100 plus. Went through quite a few crew due to age and illness and finally after my crew was gone-I guided for 2 years out of Esperanza and then sold the Orca. I kept logs of the trips-made videos and slide shows to Music of most years. Rainy afternoons with a Scotch is a fun time to look back. We had the best of it!!! Enjoy and document
Fished Winter Harbour at least 8-10 times a year from 98 to 2019. A lot of those trips were documented on here. always slept on the boat after the Last resort changed hands from Sonja and Ray. Nothing against the new owner just got a bigger boat and knew all the good anchorages. Epic trips to Cape Scott back in the day when a halibut could top 100 plus. Went through quite a few crew due to age and illness and finally after my crew was gone-I guided for 2 years out of Esperanza and then sold the Orca. I kept logs of the trips-made videos and slide shows to Music of most years. Rainy afternoons with a Scotch is a fun time to look back. We had the best of it!!! Enjoy and document it!!
When I have the cottage all fixed up, you my friend, have an open invite to come up to WH and spend a few nostalgic nights there with some buddies ( no charge as long as you clean up :). You guys paved the way for our generation of adventures and die hard fishermen / women. Your msg also reminded me that I’m not too far behind you and should enjoy all our crazy, stressful (I have two babies), expensive but beautiful adventures on our boat along our west coast :)

When I have the cottage all fixed up, you my friend, have an open invite to come up to WH and spend a few nostalgic nights there with some buddies ( no charge as long as you clean up :). You guys paved the way for our generation of adventures and die hard fishermen / women. Your msg also reminded me that I’m not too far behind you and should enjoy all our crazy, stressful (I have two babies), expensive but beautiful adventures on our boat along our west coast :)
very generous of you! i would tell Mike this offer is contingent on him bringing his gps coordinates!

very generous of you! i would tell Mike this offer is contingent on him bringing his gps coordinates!
To be honest, I figure I’ll get up there for 3 trips a year.. that leaves a lot of time when the cottage is sitting empty. It’s comforting to known it’s being used and checked on.. if you have someone you trust ;)

To be honest, I figure I’ll get up there for 3 trips a year.. that leaves a lot of time when the cottage is sitting empty. It’s comforting to known it’s being used and checked on.. if you have someone you trust ;)
Mikes one of the best there is.

Winter harbour is my happy place we are usually up there for 2 weeks start of July and another week in September for tuna! We are also looking to buy in Winter Harbour just waiting for the right property to come up! Cool spot you got there a little bit of work and it will be a great liitle cabin

That is very generous of you-I go to sea trial my custom 17 CC this morning-get a few hours on it and may take you up on your generous offer. If you need any info specifically on where to fish in relation to the calendar-PM me

Stayed at the Qualicum Rivers Cabins right on the Govt. dock, great accommodations all you need and sleeps up to 6 guys. Fishing not so good as had a huge algae bloom offshore so no chinook :( but lots of great bottom fishing! Your're gunna love having a house there!!!

Hey guys, I’m loving all the positive feedback and words of encouragement! Please pm me with any contacts that can help with painting, and general labour up there. I won’t sleep well until the house is in much better shape lol. I’ve contacted The Outpost (Bill) and he’s going to put the word out for a painter but could use any contacts you may have.. there is a lot of scraping and sanding and I really need to find someone up there can can get the job done for me. I’ll take on the replacement of the deck, stairs and all interior renovations (hopefully I can find someone in WH that can work with me!) but would love to hire as much help as I can! …one day this will be a relaxing getaway :)

Attachments

• 4900F8D0-5615-4125-B08D-919F3C7E7B24.jpeg
    4900F8D0-5615-4125-B08D-919F3C7E7B24.jpeg
    382.7 KB · Views: 139
  • BBC88BD5-AC69-4FDE-AB8A-E887A6B7BCBF.jpeg
    BBC88BD5-AC69-4FDE-AB8A-E887A6B7BCBF.jpeg
    397.6 KB · Views: 133
  • 8128987E-215F-4CCB-A2E8-A5A81E586230.jpeg
    8128987E-215F-4CCB-A2E8-A5A81E586230.jpeg
    257.1 KB · Views: 137
I've chartered out of WH every summer since 2008. Always head home with a freezer full of ling, spring, coho and hali. The weather can definitely get sporty, but there is little reason to run far. You can be on the 300 ft line in 15-20 minutes. On the snotty days when most boats stay inside, the lighthouse and Cliff Pt get busy enough that noise in the water usually kills the bite. Best to head in and wait until sunset when the lodge boats and most others have left. Once it gets quiet again, fish to be caught.

Back