Winter Harbour Experiences?

DuroBoat

Well we just bought one of the old houses along the boardwalk in winter harbour with the intent to fix it up as our summer get away. We are a few houses down from the government dock so we should have moorage space within walking distance.. anyone have any experiences fishing winter harbour?

Fished it 28 years ago commercially, good times then. Lots of buddies fish it or go with Olies charters and seem to do really well. Congrats on the purchase!
We pulled in there many moons ago too on a commercial tuna trip. I think the cannery was linked to the Rupert Co-op somehow.

Last edited:
Well we just bought one of the old houses along the boardwalk in winter harbour with the intent to fix it up as our summer get away. We are a few houses down from the government dock so we should have moorage space within walking distance.. anyone have any experiences fishing winter harbour?
i was just looking at that one, lol

Any pictures of the house.

I have been to Winter Harbour 3 times fishing, and the fishing was great each time, especially for bottom fish. There is also amazing wildlife viewing: Orca, Humpback, and Grey whales to watch plus lots of sea otters (often rafted together as you head out the inlet). There are so many bottom fish spots to explore that you could be years testing them (and most will have fish). Enjoy your summer get away spot, it is a great area to explore and especially fish.
...Rob

Great place to fish, lots inside spots when it gets rough, Oli's is top fishing charter. Any plans to rent the cabin in your future?
We will likely rent it after it gets fixed up (this years plans: new paint, front steps and deck). There is way more work than I thought but there is also a new house on one side and it looks like they are cleaning the lot on the other side so I hope it was a good investment! Glad to hear the fishing is so good - that does help keep the property values up! Thanks for the comments guys :) I will have to introduce myself to Oli! You’re a bit of a legend out there Oli ;)

We went for a week in August last year - fantastic trip. We camped in the campground and thoroughly enjoyed it except for the mosquitos! We were in our 17' Starcraft so we weren't able to get too far outside but we trolled the lighthouse and jigged the pinnacles and came home with a freezer full of salmon, ling and bottom fish. The kids had a blast.

Attachments

• IMG_0964[1].jpg
    IMG_0964[1].jpg
    206.9 KB · Views: 170
Good fishing is very close. Lots of variety. Fished there every year for about 12 years.

Our group landed a couple of tyees in that time.

Finding accommodation during prime season is difficult, the OP has that addressed.

Get to know some of the local people, they are very resourceful and can help you out of a jam. Dick Robinson of Dicks Last Resort is a good guy to get to know.

Attachments

• FF816ABE-3248-4F1C-81CE-A032A0DBF06F.jpeg
    FF816ABE-3248-4F1C-81CE-A032A0DBF06F.jpeg
    310.4 KB · Views: 137
Plus one on Dick. He is a great guy, very generous.
Winter Harbour is a great place, very laid back, wish I could spend more time with the local folks, but we are there for the fishing.
Lots of interesting places to try your luck.
People ask me why Winter Harbour, I respond that locals complain about the heat dome when it reaches 20*C in Winter Harbour!

Fished Winter Harbour at least 8-10 times a year from 98 to 2019. A lot of those trips were documented on here. always slept on the boat after the Last resort changed hands from Sonja and Ray. Nothing against the new owner just got a bigger boat and knew all the good anchorages. Epic trips to Cape Scott back in the day when a halibut could top 100 plus. Went through quite a few crew due to age and illness and finally after my crew was gone-I guided for 2 years out of Esperanza and then sold the Orca. I kept logs of the trips-made videos and slide shows to Music of most years. Rainy afternoons with a Scotch is a fun time to look back. We had the best of it!!! Enjoy and document it!!

Back