winds 5 to 15 knots

Peahead

A bit earlier there was a post on here about weather forcasts and the frustration with accuracy. The post included a 'excuses ' letter from Environment Canada.

I noticed the forcast for this Sunday ( the same for next few days) the winds are supposed to be 5-15 knots SE for Georgia St. south of Nanaimo. Always thought that was pretty vague as for me 5 knots SE is complete luxury, easy fishing relaxed- and I can get south easily and fast. 15 knots SE on the other hand is wind whipped flashers, gusty winds trying to spin the boat in white caps and hard to keep boat true. In fact I may not even bother heading south as my destroy my back heading into 15 knots. Kind of two different days really.

try using www.bigwavedave.com
forecasts are usually more accurate if you can find
your area in the listings...

Tsawwassen, Van for Sunday September 19, 2010
Time 5am* 8am* 11am* 2pm* 5pm* 8pm* 11pm*
Wind Direction S NE SSE SSE S SSE SE
Wind (knots) 0 5 5 5 5 0 0
Point Roberts, Light House Park (USA) for Sunday September 19, 2010

On the Internet E.C. Marine Weather there is this magical dividing line at Nanaimo.....winds north of Nanaimo do one thing and winds south of Nanaimo do another.

Since I live in Qualicum I can see Nanaimo when I'm fishing off Winchelsea/Gerald area.

Often times the two forecasts are radically different....but...I guess as long as I stay on the north side of the magical line....I can go by that forecast.

NOT!

I've blown many a fishing day because they said it was going to howl....and it didn't.

Big Wave Dave's doesn't forcast anything...it just shows you what is happening currently in realtime......but it can save your bacon.

Nothing is better than your own forcast and judgement if its forcasted to blow and its clam well maybe take that warning and "wait and see" that any time it can kick up.

The problem is most people WAIT way to long and thats what gets them into trouble is a fish really worth that???if it rough dont go out stay home there is other days if its clam go but please be carfull we dont want another winter harbour incident "R.I.P"

I remeber one time seeing Juan de fuca in the late morning forcasted to go to 30 knts it was flat calm so went to the west ebd of constance and watched very carefully sure enough by about 9 am (not really late morning BTW)could see this black line out past Race rocks. Right away I pulled my gear on the way back told these 2 clowns weathers a coming better get out one wasa 14 ft tinny another 16 ft fiberglass there responses "ITS FLAT CALM" dont worry about us!!!!!!!

Off I go back to west bay cleaned up and went to flemming beach to just make sure they got back sure enough 5 ft seas they come in soaked and damn scared asked them you ok???? yes as they are spitting saltwater at me. they say wow did that ever come fast we should have gone when you did but we wanted to get a halibut. I asked did YOU??? no!!!!! I said good bye and glad your ok, shaking my head back at the truck. hopefully a lesson learned.
But I doubt it see it all the time.
REALLY sad.

Good luck Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

Back